#37 patch

Samifan

Eric Desjardins was one of the all time great Flyers. Very steady and consistent, without the flash. Congrats to Eric, long over-do award. You think the current team could elevate their game and beat the tar out of  Buffalo at home to honor him. Guess not. Now do you believe its time to blow it up?

Man Rico looks ancient. He just seems like he was a little off. 

GEICO_Cavemen.jpgfly%20guy.jpg

All kidding aside, he was a beast and if stupid Roenick did not play so recklessly, we could have won a cup in 2004.

Congrats Rico were one of the greats. 

I turned the game on mid 1st period. I forgot they were honoring him tonight and when I saw that black patch, my first thought was "Who died?"

Was happy to realize it was not a mourning patch! Great job honoring a great Flyer!

Eric was one of the top 5 d-men to ever wear the O&B period. I don't think anyone will ever surpass the magic that Mark Howe provided, but right after him, Eric at least starts to enter the equation.

Another Ex-Flyer who never gets talked about enough is the late, great Brad McCrimmon. Man, that guy had it all, offensive prowess, one of the very toughest Flyers of all time. Pure guts, pure grit....I *really*, *really* miss Brad. By far, half of the best Flyer d-man tandem ever. He was a special competitor, amazing leader...left it all out on the ice every time he pulled the jersey over his head. The fact that Mark and Brad don't have Cup rings is one of the most disappointing things to ever happen to the Flyers org and fans. That damn 3rd period with the Oilers....*THAT* should have been Brad and Mark's shining moment....ROBBED....STILL BITTER....STILL HATE KURRI TO THIS DAY FOR THAT GOAL!!!!!!

Don't mean to get to far off Eric's patch, this is very classy of the org.....BUT, I really believe the Flyers should double retire #10 for McCrimmon and LeClair. It would be a great way to honour two of the greatest Flyers ever. No player should ever wear #10 ever again......

Kinda weird to hear Ed Snider on the jumbotron talking about what a great guy Desjardins "was"

Rico was sitting in a suite watching the game at the time.

I'm pretty sure Eric's still a pretty good guy.

On that note, I found the 37 on a black circle a little disconcerting.

It's not like the guy died.

Another Ex-Flyer who never gets talked about enough is the late, great Brad McCrimmon. Man, that guy had it all, offensive prowess, one of the very toughest Flyers of all time. Pure guts, pure grit....I *really*, *really* miss Brad. By far, half of the best Flyer d-man tandem ever. He was a special competitor, amazing leader...left it all out on the ice every time he pulled the jersey over his head. The fact that Mark and Brad don't have Cup rings is one of the most disappointing things to ever happen to the Flyers org and fans. That damn 3rd period with the Oilers....*THAT* should have been Brad and Mark's shining moment....ROBBED....STILL BITTER....STILL HATE KURRI TO THIS DAY FOR THAT GOAL!!!!!!

AMEN to everything you said there.  That 1987-1988 team  will always be my favorite Flyers team of all time.  They never said die and deserved a cup or 2.  To this day that game 7 loss haunts and hurts me just a little bit.  They were just very unlucky to run into the all world buzz saw that was the Oilers back then.  I hate the Oil to this day because of that and am thoroughly enjoying the modern day failures that they are.  (I'm not bitter or anything ;) ) Besides Mark and Brad, there is Poulin, Propp, and Kerr, Eklund, Sinisalo, Ron Sutter, to name a few who will likely never get their names on the Cup and that is what makes me the most sad of all.  I really loved those guys and wanted it for them so bad back them,  heck I cried my eyes out as a 11 year old back then because I felt for them and their loss as well as mine.

I love when people post things like you did because I know at least their efforts are not forgotten even though they never won.

P.S.  I was wearing my Brian Propp jersey today at the Preds game and while I was taking a leak a kid was behind me asking his dad who Propp was and the dad tried to explain the greatness that was the Propper.  It made me so happy to start that conversation and get the youngins educated about the 80s guys just by taking a whiz :P .    

Archived