Mike Milbury.....for Head Coach?

TropicalFruitGirl26

milburymike.jpg

With rumors swirling that not only is GM Peter Chiarelli's job on the line, but head coach Claude Julien's as well, Comcast Sports New England had this, where Mike Milbury was asked if he would consider coaching the Bruins, an organization he knows pretty well.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/milbury-would-strongly-consider-coaching-if-bruins-call

What do you think?

Milbury still has the chops to be an NHL head coach if he decided to do so?

And if with the Bruins, would he have the right temperament to deal with the mixture of vets and youth on the team?

IMO, Milbury doesn't make a particularly good analyst, and we all know what a disaster his tenure as a coach and GM of the Islanders was.

But with time is supposed to come wisdom...perhaps he has learned enough from then to now to be able to take the reigns of a team like Boston that probably needs a swift kick in the behind.

Who knows.

I just thought this story was interesting because head coaching in the NHL CAN'T be an easy gig. Men dedicate their lives to it, spend lots of hours trying to mold a winner and many who do so still fail at it...can a guy who has sat behind a microphone the last several years just step right in and do something that some guys who have slaved hours over haven't been able to do successfully?

That seems doubtful to me.

Also, taking into account Milbury's 'old school' mentality. Can he cope with today's NHL and the types of players that now populate its ranks?

Its been proven 'hard' coaching styles have a limited shelf life (see Mike Keenan and John Tortorella), and coaching for those men and reigning in the discipline was tough enough.....I can only imagine Mike Milbury, with a hard coaching style himself, would have an even tougher time doing the same being away from the coaching ranks for so long.

Whaddya think guys n gals?

Is Mike Milbury still coach-worthy material?

And if so, would he be a fit for the Bruins should Claude Julien be shown the door?

Given his stint as GM and listening to him, I'm not certain he's not dead above the neck.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility, but I personally would not hire him for janitor.

You know, this was the first thing that struck me in listening to the video portion.

Milbury really didn't sound like a guy who would be gung ho about running an NHL bench again.

Sure, he DID say he wasn't "chompin at the bit " for a coaching job, but still, he does go on to say he'd want the right situation, would want to know what pieces he would have, the kind of direction the team would head, etc, etc....

Ok, ok..those things are things ANY head coach would like to know, but that doesn't make Milbury stand out any.

I would have thought a guy like him who has been around a while would look at a roster like Boston's and very briefly summerize what he could POSSIBLY do with it....I mean, the question was probably sprung on him, not like he was being offered a job on the spot...least he could have done was be a bit more positive about it.

Bruins sure have some issues, but its not the franchise is in total disarray like some other teams out there.

Main problem for Boston is cap space.

From a Lightning fan standpoint, maybe I'd LIKE to see Milbury take that job and see him possibly Islander-up that franchise. ;)

But from an NHL standpoint, and if I were a Bruins fan, I am not too sure Milbury would be good for the NHL as a bench boss...certainly not the team.

I'm not certain he's not dead above the neck.

He's as dense as a post.   

Claude Julien is a good guy.  But, I think he's dropped the ball with Lucic and Marchant.  They put their teammates second to their own selfish aims.  A GM might think that a tougher coach would handle these guys better.  

But, Milbury would be pretty far down on a list of potential candidates.

Did you ever notice the expression on Keith Jones' face after some of Milbury's comments.  It's like "Did this fool really say that?".

milburymike.jpg

With rumors swirling that not only is GM Peter Chiarelli's job on the line, but head coach Claude Julien's as well, Comcast Sports New England had this, where Mike Milbury was asked if he would consider coaching the Bruins, an organization he knows pretty well.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/milbury-would-strongly-consider-coaching-if-bruins-call

What do you think?

Milbury still has the chops to be an NHL head coach if he decided to do so?

And if with the Bruins, would he have the right temperament to deal with the mixture of vets and youth on the team?

IMO, Milbury doesn't make a particularly good analyst, and we all know what a disaster his tenure as a coach and GM of the Islanders was.

But with time is supposed to come wisdom...perhaps he has learned enough from then to now to be able to take the reigns of a team like Boston that probably needs a swift kick in the behind.

Who knows.

I just thought this story was interesting because head coaching in the NHL CAN'T be an easy gig. Men dedicate their lives to it, spend lots of hours trying to mold a winner and many who do so still fail at it...can a guy who has sat behind a microphone the last several years just step right in and do something that some guys who have slaved hours over haven't been able to do successfully?

That seems doubtful to me.

Also, taking into account Milbury's 'old school' mentality. Can he cope with today's NHL and the types of players that now populate its ranks?

Its been proven 'hard' coaching styles have a limited shelf life (see Mike Keenan and John Tortorella), and coaching for those men and reigning in the discipline was tough enough.....I can only imagine Mike Milbury, with a hard coaching style himself, would have an even tougher time doing the same being away from the coaching ranks for so long.

Whaddya think guys n gals?

Is Mike Milbury still coach-worthy material?

And if so, would he be a fit for the Bruins should Claude Julien be shown the door?

some times when you are watching from a broadcast booth a person may see something that the people on the ice level may not or can not see. Milbury hands were probably tied because of the owner of the islanders was to cheap to allow him to do his job!

some times when you are watching from a broadcast booth a person may see something that the people on the ice level may not or can not see.

That's why teams have the video available for review. Of course, if they choose not to use it...

Milbury hands were probably tied because of the owner of the islanders was to cheap to allow him to do his job!

They are/were cheap, but they weren't too cheap to let him offer 10-years, $87.5M to Yashin... They are still paying Yashin this year (last one on the buyout). And they gave up a second overall (Spezza) as part of the deal to get him...

The same group then offered the DiPietro Disaster two months after Milbury left.

They likely had little to say about him taking DiPietro over Gaborik or Heatley as well.

Chara was still an RFA when he was dealt. So was Luongo. Milbury also traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a third rounder for... Trevor Linden (a few extenuating circumstances regarding the "strained relations" between Bertuzzi and... the management represented by Mike Milbury).

Anybody who wants to put Mike Milbury in charge of their hockey operations seriously needs to put their analyst on danger money.

Archived