Symmetrical Game? The NHL's Surprising Lack of Symmetry.

WordsOfWisdom

First, some background....

Baseball is a game specifically devised for RIGHT-HANDED THROWING people. (A person's left or right handedness is determined not by their swing, but by the hand they throw a baseball with.) All of the action in baseball involves a counter clockwise rotation around the bases so that the game (at its very core) is designed for righties. Many people (but not lefties) are surprised to discover that there isn't a lefty playing any position in baseball other than pitcher, first base, or outfield... and even then it's rare. The game makes it a self fulfilling prophecy.

Now we turn to the NHL.... and you already see the problem....

How many goalies in the NHL catch with their RIGHT hand? (In other words, how many goalies are LEFTIES?)  At last count, I think the number was TWO.  Two out of SIXTY or 3.3%. Why is it that so few goalies catch with their right hand?  :(

Is there a specific reason why this is so?  (My hunch is yes.)  If I had to guess, I would say that it has something to do with the fact that the players benches are both on the same side of the ice. Therefore, the play gets funneled to the side of the ice away from the benches (the right side of the ice for 2 of 3 periods for the home team) and that means right wingers always carry the offence and not left wingers.

Could a change as mundane as having a player bench on each side of the ice make a difference that large?  Thoughts?  :unsure[1]:

I'd say your argument is a non sequitur. 

By the time a young child puts on a goalie mitt, he's already right or left-handed. 70% to 95% of the world is right-handed (multiple studies), and according to NHL.com, 6 out of 86 listed goaltenders catch right (meaning they are lefty). That's 7%, which falls within the accepted range of right/left distribution.

I'd say your argument is a non sequitur. 

By the time a young child puts on a goalie mitt, he's already right or left-handed. 70% to 95% of the world is right-handed (multiple studies), and according to NHL.com, 6 out of 86 listed goaltenders catch right (meaning they are lefty). That's 7%, which falls within the accepted range of right/left distribution.

I just find it interesting because it seems far too low.  That's why I wonder if there's more to it. ie: Something about the game that makes it tougher for lefty goalies to play it. 

I dunno. I'm thinking out loud.  :confused[1]:

I just find it interesting because it seems far too low.  That's why I wonder if there's more to it. ie: Something about the game that makes it tougher for lefty goalies to play it. 

According to the population distribution, though, it's not too low. It's right in the expected zone.

When it comes to players, though, there's a bigger head-scratcher. Most NHL players shoot left. 

But (I think) most NHL players are right-handed, as you would expect - it's just that they choose to shoot (left) with their dominant hand (right) on top.

According to the population distribution, though, it's not too low. It's right in the expected zone.

When it comes to players, though, there's a bigger head-scratcher. Most NHL players shoot left. 

But (I think) most NHL players are right-handed, as you would expect - it's just that they choose to shoot (left) with their dominant hand (right) on top.

And, all of the highest scoring players of all time are either centers or right wingers, never left wingers. :)  And I have no idea why. :confused[1]:

Who knows. I know left-handed people who shoot right, left-handed people who shoot right. Same for right-handed people. For me (right-handed) top hand on top (shooting left) makes "natural" sense.

I also shoot left in lacrosse but learned to shoot right, which took tons of practice. Never felt natural.

I'm the opposite. I shoot with my dominant hand (right) down on the stick, but I learned to play on my own late in my teens, starting with street hockey. Having played baseball, it was just a natural rotation of the stick (bat), since you hold the bat with your hands together, but the subordinate hand on the bottom of the bat. My understanding is that youth hockey in Canada tends to teach the way Podein plays, and youth hockey in the US teaches the way I do. I wonder if kids playing baseball has anything to do with that, and coaches found it easier to teach kids to hold the stick that way instead of trying to rewire them. Then it just stuck.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sports/olympics/16lefty.html?_r=0

Many people (but not lefties) are surprised to discover that there isn't a lefty playing any position in baseball other than pitcher, first base, or outfield... and even then it's rare.

OK, but that is five of nine positions. There have been left handed catchers, but that is indeed very rare.

And, as has been pointed out, left handedness is rare in and of itself.

And, all of the highest scoring players of all time are either centers or right wingers, never left wingers. :)  And I have no idea why. :confused[1]:

The two current top goal scorers in the league are left wings (Ovechkin, Nash).

Four of the top ten (Pacioretty, Parise).

Three more in the top 20 (Tatar, Benn Foligno) with JVR at 21.

That's seven left wings in the top 20 goal scorers this season. That's far above the statistical average.

Three of the top 10 all time goal scorers (while not necessarily left wings) had left handed shots (Esposito, Jagr, Messier). Also Robitallie, Sakic, Bobby Hull and Mark Recchi in the top 20. Joe Niewendyk at 21.

Bobby Hull and Ovechkin are both top 10 in goals per game (minimum 200 goals). Also the immortal Cy Denneny. All three left wings.

That's seven left wings in the top 20 goal scorers this season. That's far above the statistical average.

They shoot left, but do we know if they are left-handed?

I would be extremely surprised if NHL players were somehow exception to the natural 70-95% right-handedness distribution.

They shoot left, but do we know if they are left-handed?

I would be extremely surprised if NHL players were somehow exception to the natural 70-95% right-handedness distribution.

Gonna take more digging to figger that out... Here - have a shovel :D

The assertion was

And, all of the highest scoring players of all time are either centers or right wingers, never left wingers.

Three left wingers in the top 10 goals-per-game (minimum 200 goals).

As would I.

Gonna take more digging to figger that out... Here - have a shovel

Ain't no one got time for that! :)

The assertion was

Gotcha. My bad.

Then there are guys like Voracek. Shoots left. Plays RW. Probably right-handed.

How many wingers are playing on their off-wing? We could do this all day.

I'm the opposite. I shoot with my dominant hand (right) down on the stick, but I learned to play on my own late in my teens, starting with street hockey. Having played baseball, it was just a natural rotation of the stick (bat), since you hold the bat with your hands together, but the subordinate hand on the bottom of the bat. My understanding is that youth hockey in Canada tends to teach the way Podein plays, and youth hockey in the US teaches the way I do. I wonder if kids playing baseball has anything to do with that, and coaches found it easier to teach kids to hold the stick that way instead of trying to rewire them. Then it just stuck.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sports/olympics/16lefty.html?_r=0

In hockey, I shoot RIGHT, but I'm left-handed.   :)

In baseball, I'm one of a kind: I bat RIGHT, and throw LEFT.  (In a game where the optimum setup is to bat LEFT and throw RIGHT.)

LOL.

OK, but that is five of nine positions. There have been left handed catchers, but that is indeed very rare.

And, as has been pointed out, left handedness is rare in and of itself.

Simply because throwing to third base  would be very difficult (not that anyone steals third anyway because second base is already considered to be "scoring position" and most runners can score from second base on a single). Throwing to second base should be no more difficult for either, although I hear the argument that the batter obstructs the throw. (Which would not be an issue if a lefty batter were at the plate).

A left-handed catcher (if one actually existed -- and they don't) has the potential to pick runners off at first base very easily. One could (in theory) shut down an opposing team's running game, making it impossible for them to steal second base, by having a left-handed catcher. (Because the runner wouldn't be able to take a lead off of first base without getting thrown out, especially when combined with a left-handed pitcher.)

:)

The two current top goal scorers in the league are left wings (Ovechkin, Nash).

Out of curiosity, I wonder how much that benefits Ovechkin. The fact that he's a left winger that shoots right (exactly the opposite of most of the great snipers that came before him) probably allows him to score 10-15 more goals per season than he otherwise would, because he exposes the goalie's weak side (the blocker side).  Since almost every goalie catches with their LEFT hand, it just makes sense that the NHL is tailor-made for Ovechkin to succeed.  :)

Simply because throwing to third base  would be very difficult (not that anyone steals third anyway because second base is already considered to be "scoring position" and most runners can score from second base on a single). Throwing to second base should be no more difficult for either, although I hear the argument that the batter obstructs the throw. (Which would not be an issue if a lefty batter were at the plate).

A left-handed catcher (if one actually existed -- and they don't) has the potential to pick runners off at first base very easily. One could (in theory) shut down an opposing team's running game, making it impossible for them to steal second base, by having a left-handed catcher. (Because the runner wouldn't be able to take a lead off of first base without getting thrown out, especially when combined with a left-handed pitcher.)

:)

I always thought the lack of lefty catcher was relatively straight-forward: if you have a left-handed kid with a good arm, where are you most likely to put him? The mound.

btw, another left-hander that bats right. :)

Well, I have no revealing answers as to the whole left-righty situation in player positions in hockey (I never actually played except for some very casual street hockey)...buuut, if I may compare the players themselves to something I DO know about, perhaps it may apply.

I am naturally right handed.

But I've practiced martial arts since I was 7 years old (Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and a bit of Jiu Jitsu as well), and one of the things you learn first (aside from basic movements and exercise), is how to use BOTH sides of your body with equal effectiveness, or at least, as close to equal effectiveness as one can get.... I.E. one practices striking, grabbing, positioning from both left and right positions.

Obviously, what that does, is make the practitioner more efficient in more situations due to not just being "better" as a left hander or a right hander.

Then, if one continues like I did, over the years, even though a person may still have a dominant side, with regards to the sport one almost becomes ambidextrous.

Maybe that explains why many hockey players have a dominant handed-ness, but as a pro, shoot/catch with the opposite, or better yet, can do either almost equally as well.

NHL players are amongst the best in the world at what they do

It stands to reason that if some average person such as myself who NEVER aspired to be a professional martial artist has learned the importance of being able to perform from both "sides" in order to be a more efficient self defense practitioner, that hockey players, since very young, have been taught to shoot or goalies to defend, from both sides in order for THEM to be very efficient at what they do.

The player in question may still show a preference for shooting/catching from a particular side, but because I am thinking the pro hockey players are well versed in just about any hockey related scenarios, it could skew the amount of left handers or right handers there are in the league despite any actual numbers of natural sided players the league may have.

I dunno.

Just my 39 cents and my version of thinking aloud. :)

Well, I have no revealing answers as to the whole left-righty situation in player positions in hockey (I never actually played except for some very casual street hockey)...buuut, if I may compare the players themselves to something I DO know about, perhaps it may apply.

I am naturally right handed.

But I've practiced martial arts since I was 7 years old (Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and a bit of Jiu Jitsu as well), and one of the things you learn first (aside from basic movements and exercise), is how to use BOTH sides of your body with equal effectiveness, or at least, as close to equal effectiveness as one can get.... I.E. one practices striking, grabbing, positioning from both left and right positions.

Obviously, what that does, is make the practitioner more efficient in more situations due to not just being "better" as a left hander or a right hander.

Then, if one continues like I did, over the years, even though a person may still have a dominant side, with regards to the sport one almost becomes ambidextrous.

Maybe that explains why many hockey players have a dominant handed-ness, but as a pro, shoot/catch with the opposite, or better yet, can do either almost equally as well.

NHL players are amongst the best in the world at what they do

It stands to reason that if some average person such as myself who NEVER aspired to be a professional martial artist has learned the importance of being able to perform from both "sides" in order to be a more efficient self defense practitioner, that hockey players, since very young, have been taught to shoot or goalies to defend, from both sides in order for THEM to be very efficient at what they do.

The player in question may still show a preference for shooting/catching from a particular side, but because I am thinking the pro hockey players are well versed in just about any hockey related scenarios, it could skew the amount of left handers or right handers there are in the league despite any actual numbers of natural sided players the league may have.

I dunno.

Just my 39 cents and my version of thinking aloud. :)

Cool. I do martial arts too. :)

I've found that I can do many things equally well both left and right handed (even though I'm a lefty), largely because the world tries to force me into being right-handed by designing everything for righties. 

When it came to martial arts, I could use my right side as good as most righties, but (unlike righties) I was 100x better using my left side than they were. The advantage was insurmountable.

Sidenote: Although martial arts clubs are supposed to teach people how to fight using both sides of the body, the one I trained at still heavily favoured the right side.  

Archived