Coburn to Tampa for picks and prospect

bullies

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who won this trade?

• Tampa Bay Lightning
    • Philadelphia Flyers
    • Philadelphia Flyers Fans
    • Brayden Coburn
    • Everyone wins and there is much rejoicing along the East Coast.

Slow, penalty-prone 3rd pairing guy with no real offensive ability. Don't see the need for him. I guess he's cheaper than Schenn or Grossman, assuming one or both of them get traded.

The player I'd compare Radko to is former Flyers d-man Danny Markov...same nasty game, same snarl...same kill or be killed attidtude. I do think Markov skates a tad better, but Radko can be a upgrade over Luke or Grossmannnn if he is coached up properly. Gotta remember, he's only 24 and has only been in the NHL for 2 full years and part of a 3rd....he paid his dues in the AHL and I think he can be real solid last pairing guy....has the potential to be a real Flyer fan favourite.....I like him being thrown in.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@JackStraw

Maybe we deal him at the draft? Or not. We're still going to need 7 defencemen next year.

Yes, but right now we have three slow defensemen, all of whom should be bottom four guys. I don't want to see any two of them on the same pair, it would be like having a revolving door at your own blue line. But I realize it's about the future and I do think it's a good trade for the Flyers, just not excited about the player we got in the deal.

Guys, I see where the Bolts traded Brett Connolly to the Bruins and acquired Boston's 2015 2nd rounder and their 2016 2nd rounder....that offsets the picks the Lightning gave up to the Flyers just a bit.

Stevie Y certainly doesn't seem shy about trading within his Conference or even his division.

Coburn might actually look very good next to Hedman.  Then you move Stralman (he's more appropriate on 2nd pair) with Garrison and you have a good thing going there.   That puts (a way too expensive) Carle on the third pair where he belongs and may be very effective.   

Immediate win is Tampa, of course.

Long term, I think they overpaid.  

If Tampa makes it to the Cup Final, the trade is at the very least a wash from Tampa's perspective.

For some reason Coburn only likes playing the rightside so good luck with that...and get use to his whiff on his stick checks and his turning his back on the puck carrier right around the goal mouth.

Not sure where he got his method from maybe my lil girl when she gets scared she loves to turn her back hoping whatever scared her will go away...it never works she hasn't figure that out but you'd think Coburn would have...ol well he is not the Flyers problem anymore hallelujah!!!!

I realize the Coburn thing is pretty toxic with many Flyers fans here (and in truth, I am still not sure he is what the Bolts need), but one thing to consider:

There is a possibility Braydon Coburn turns out well for the Bolts......he would NOT be the first Flyer traded elsewhere that ends up doing better wherever he was traded to than he did while he was in Philly. Not sure for the reason behind that dynamic is, but that sort of thing is something Flyers fans have seen.

Don't get me wrong, I am not singing the praises of Coburn, or believe he will solidify the Lightning physical blue line situation, but in trying to find some silver linings here for TB, I am looking at it from the perspective that on the Lightning, Braydon Coburn doesn't HAVE to be spectacular. He doesn't HAVE to be "the guy" as someone mentioned already in this thread.

Tampa has plenty skilled defensemen and forwards 4 lines deep legitimately for him to make simple outlet passes to. Much, MUCH more than what was available outside of the Philly top line, for him to work with.

All he needs to do is blend in and do the simple things needed out of a stay-at-home type D-man position.

Also, @ruxpin beat me to it, but in mulling over this move, it did occur to me that Coburn could make a good partner for a guy like Victor Hedman, or even Anton Stralman (both guys who can do a bit of everything already) and either one of those two can take MUCH pressure off Coburn to perform and he can just do what Tampa wants him to: stand guys up at the blue line, guard the blue line at the offensive zone, and finish body checks.

: stand guys up at the blue line, guard the blue line at the offensive zone, and finish body checks.

HAHAHAHA....ah to keep it short no...or good luck with that..its what we all wanted from a 6-5 Dman who skates damn well...but no soft as baby poo and he has Scrat's brain from Ice age...so glad he is gone.

I realize the Coburn thing is pretty toxic with many Flyers fans here

Keep in mind that you're dealing with a fanbase that routinely booed the guy who was voted the greatest third baseman in the history of baseball.

Corburn will be a good addition to the Bolts. Great skater, big, very solid defensively. Tampa won't be putting him in an offensive role (where he would struggle), you maybe put him on the top pair with Hedman and you have two huge guys who can skate. Good luck to opposing forwards trying to get across that blue line. He makes your team better. He also has lots of playoff experience and tends to bring his best game then.

Don't get me wrong, I am not singing the praises of Coburn, or believe he will solidify the Lightning physical blue line situation, but in trying to find some silver linings here for TB, I am looking at it from the perspective that on the Lightning, Braydon Coburn doesn't HAVE to be spectacular. He doesn't HAVE to be "the guy" as someone mentioned already in this thread.

I might get hammered here for saying this but Coburn is not a bad player and I do think he will help your Bolts...   He had a long tenure and to some degree I think he was under appreciated.  I think a fresh start will be good for him in tampa... I think we all saw that he could be a top pairing guy at some point and he has all of the tools but he never put it together.  The only thing missing from his game is really a brain - he really has terrible lapses that make you scratch your head.    

From Hockey Futures about Gudas....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/radko_gudas/

Talent Analysis

Gudas is a throw-back, physical defenseman who likes to punish opposition players along the walls and in open ice. He is a bit shorter than most defensemen that play his style (possibly the reason he was passed over in two NHL drafts before being selected by the Lightning in 2010), but he has a thick frame and a high-energy motor that wears down opposing forwards. Gudas' offensive contributions usually come from quick, crisp outlet passes or by forcing turnovers in the neutral zone. He is also a willing combatant if the situation arises. His father Leo Gudas, also a defensive defenseman, was a 1990 Calgary Flames draft pick and played for the last Czechoslovakian team in the 1992 Olympics and for the first Czech Republic team the following season at the World Championships.

Future

Long-term, he projects as a shut-down defenseman who is valuable in his own end and can make life difficult for opposing forwards. While players like Gudas are generally not thought of in terms of being high prospects, they are a valued commodity on most winning teamsicon1.png.

OK, this sounds pretty good to me. This year's version of the Flyers was the least "tough to play against" I think I've ever seen -- Some physicality on the blue line will be much appreciated. And cap-friendly. I'm liking the trade even more now :) Thanks for the info Pilldoc.

Keep in mind that you're dealing with a fanbase that routinely booed the guy who was voted the greatest third baseman in the history of baseball.

yeah but, Schmitty refered to himself in the 3rd person... he had it coming really. 

I might get hammered here for saying this but Coburn is not a bad player and I do think he will help your Bolts...   He had a long tenure and to some degree I think he was under appreciated.  I think a fresh start will be good for him in tampa... I think we all saw that he could be a top pairing guy at some point and he has all of the tools but he never put it together.  The only thing missing from his game is really a brain - he really has terrible lapses that make you scratch your head.    

I really do think Tampa was/is a perfect situation for him.  He stays top 4 but can be the "other" guy on either pair.    And he typically does play better in the playoffs than the regular season.  The Bolts really did help themselves for this run.

@OccamsRazor

Well, part of that, especially THIS SEASON, could have been he saw who he was working with on the blue line and saw Emery in net and thought "Holy ^%$#, I gotta be 10x better to keep pucks away".

He shouldn't have that worry with the overall TB d-men and either Ben Bishop or Andrej Vasilevskiy in net.

At least that is the hope.

@Jackstaw

@murraycravn

Goes to the point of much less pressure to perform in Tampa.

Philly fans are well known to be super tough on their athletes.

Many players do well when given new starts elsewhere...even if it is only short term.

There is good chance Coburn sees some resurgence to his game playing with a new set of players, and again, more skilled overall, and much better goaltending behind him from starter to backup.

And Coburn is under contract for this season and next. If the Bolts don't like what they see out of him, or if his play begins to decline again as next season winds down, they can then part ways.

TB has a number of decent to good prospects in the pipeline.

Archived