The greatest Flyers Dman?

FD19372

Well there haven't been a lot...well not since i've been following them...never followed them in Howe's days i got to see Eric Desjardins and Kimmo Timonen that is it. Kim Johnsson was pretty solid for the little bit of time he was here. But there wasn't a lot.

So what i've seen it would be Eric Desjardins, Kimmo, Pronger, Johnsson and Jason Smith my top 5 honorable mention but they were old or came to late Derian Hatcher and Marcus Ragnarsson. 

Yup...rubbish defenseman history, for the Flyers history, Coburn is just your average defenseman....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup...rubbish defenseman history, for the Flyers history, Coburn is just your average defenseman....

Yeah i don't know why i forgot Coburn he was pretty good and i should have included him and kicked someone off that list...maybe Jason Smith i guess. Coburn was ok the first few years he was here. That eye injury changed him and he was never the same.

Yeah i don't know why i forgot Coburn he was pretty good and i should have included him and kicked someone off that list...maybe Jason Smith i guess. Coburn was ok the first few years he was here. That eye injury changed him and he was never the same.

nice sarcasm bud.

If he played on any other hockey franchise, he would be a terrible defenseman. Just that Flyers has a lack of quality defenseman in their history...

nice sarcasm bud.

If he played on any other hockey franchise, he would be a terrible defenseman. Just that Flyers has a lack of quality defenseman in their history...

Yeah maybe...but seriously before the eye injury he played much better or at least looked like he had much promise. He could actually hit the net with his shot....afterwards...no.

Coburn! Bwaaaa that dude sucked when he was here and still sucks. I give NRH a pass as he stated it was accidental but anyone saying Coburn should even be on the list of greatest D men should have their mouth washed out with soap and sent to their room.

Coburn! Bwaaaa that dude sucked when he was here and still sucks. I give NRH a pass as he stated it was accidental but anyone saying Coburn should even be on the list of greatest D men should have their mouth washed out with soap and sent to their room.

I agree the last couple of years he has been sucky...but when he first got here he showed flashes of what he may be he supported the rush well he was physical around the crease when need be he had a nice shot that he actually could get on net. It was the year he scored like 9 goals and 36 points and finished +17. That year in the playoffs they lost Kimmo to his first blood clot issue and Coburn took a puck to the eye. They got bounced by the the Pens.

And the next year he was never the same that shot to the eye took something out of him.

So yes i listed Coburn as a defenseman but it was the original Coburn i liked not the one we got after the injury.

I haven't been around to see the Howe and McCrimmons, the Kjell Samuelssons and Joe Watsons i can only comment on the ones i saw and there weren't a lot of great ones to choose from....after thinking about it Dan Mcgillis wasn't to bad either.

@OccamsRazor

Coburn might not register in a topic for best Flyer defencemen, but he certainly showed promise the first few years he was here. Anyone who doesn't recall angry Coburn in the playoffs...well that was a treat to watch.

Exactly i remember we were all excited when Homer first traded for him he could skate would use his size when need be had a nice accurate cannon and was showing promise that all got derailed by the eye injury....sadly. He was never the same. I mean who comes to Philly and actually gets softer???

But that is what he did over the years just stopped being physical and pushing guys around getting out muscled by smaller guys and just started relying on his stick check all the time which he was horrible with. That is why he is gone.

@OccamsRazor

Coburn might not register in a topic for best Flyer defencemen, but he certainly showed promise the first few years he was here. Anyone who doesn't recall angry Coburn in the playoffs...well that was a treat to watch.

I agree. It was a treat to watch but so was Bundy Vs Jagr after that it was well........ not enough to be considered greatest material.

I agree. It was a treat to watch but so was Bundy Vs Jagr after that it was well........ not enough to be considered greatest material.

I always hated Bundy besides like you said when he played Jagr....which was baffling how he could elevate his game for just one guy is beyond me then go back to normal sucking at everything.

I'm relatively younger here, but definitely agree angry Coburn was pretty awesome. The eye injury though, Philly is cursed. He's in my top five I actually got to watch, along with Desjardins, Pronger, Timonen, and who knows. The drop off is at four :(

I suppose any of Streit, Kapanen, Kim Jonsson, Jason Smith, and McGillis could be #5, but they aren't in the same tier.

I listed kapanen kind of tongue in cheek but I love how doom just listed him in his above post.

The one guy who looked so good was the Russian kid who died young. He was awesome and would have gone on to be a flyer legend. Im on my phone. I'll post then look up his name

@FD19372 Mark Howe, easily....by a country mile. My top 5 has McCrimmon in it. Overall, it's a very weak top 5....they would not match up well with other teams that have been around as long. I think Mark Howe is one of the top 5 NHL players for skating...it was magic watching his absolute effortless stride, a true thing of beauty.

When i read FD's post I was happy with it but my immediate thought was that I'd put Jimmy Watson ahead of Samuelsson. And then, I suddenly realized McCrimmon wasn't on the list. He has to be. And then I thought some more and realized Kjell doesn't make my top 15.

For me:

1) Howe

2) Desjardins

3) Timonen

4) McCrimmon

5) Jimmy Watson

6) Chris Pronger

7) Moose Dupont

8) Behn Wilson

9) Bob Dailey

10) Tom Bladon/Joe Watson

Kjell Samuelsson doesn't make my top 15. I still have Gary Galley, Barry Ashbee, Ed Van Impe, and Dan McGillis ahead of him.

PS: If Coburn makes any discussion of "best Flyers defenseman" and you're not talking ONLY last 4 years, please turn in your fan card. Even in the last 10-15 years he falls objectively behind Niinimaa, Pitkanen, Hatcher, Pronger, Timonen, Vandermeer (kidding), and several I'm likely forgetting. Was Luke Richardson and Johnsson in the last 10-15 years?

Well there haven't been a lot...well not since i've been following them...never followed them in Howe's days i got to see Eric Desjardins and Kimmo Timonen that is it. Kim Johnsson was pretty solid for the little bit of time he was here. But there wasn't a lot.

So what i've seen it would be Eric Desjardins, Kimmo, Pronger, Johnsson and Jason Smith my top 5 honorable mention but they were old or came to late Derian Hatcher and Marcus Ragnarsson.

I have a hard time putting Smith on ANY list that isn't "most forgettable."

When i read FD's post I was happy with it but my immediate thought was that I'd put Jimmy Watson ahead of Samuelsson.  And then, I suddenly realized McCrimmon wasn't on the list.  He has to be.

For me:

1) Howe

2) Desjardins

3) Timonen

4) McCrimmon

5) Jimmy Watson

6) Chris Pronger

7) Moose Dupont

8) Behn Wilson

9) Bob Dailey

10) Tom Bladon/Joe Watson

Kjell Samuelsson doesn't make my top 15.  I still have Gary Galley, Barry Ashbee, Ed Van Impe, and Dan McGillis ahead of him.

PS:  If Coburn makes any discussion of "best Flyers defenseman" and you're not talking ONLY last 4 years, please turn in your fan card. Even in the last 10-15 years he falls objectively behind Niinimaa, Pitkanen, Hatcher, Pronger, Timonen, Vandermeer (kidding), and several I'm likely forgetting.  Was Luke Richardson and Johnsson in the last 10-15 years?

Very good list, especially putting McCrimmon on it. I sort of overlooked McCrimmon and what a strong dman he was, particularly in his own zone, and shouldn't have. His +/- was TREMENDOUS as a Flyer and played a lot of times with Howe. In 1984-'85, he was a +52, in '85-'86 he was a (wow) +83, in '86-'87, he was a +45 and then a +47 in '87-'88. 

Very good list, especially putting McCrimmon on it. I sort of overlooked McCrimmon and what a strong dman he was, particularly in his own zone, and shouldn't have. His +/- was TREMENDOUS as a Flyer and played a lot of times with Howe. In 1984-'85, he was a +52, in '85-'86 he was a (wow) +83, in '86-'87, he was a +45 and then a +47 in '87-'88.

It's so much easier to do a list when someone else has started it. Yours was a great launching point. Fun topic. Thanks!

And by the way, Kjell wasn't bad at all and I don't mean to under sell him. Marmaduke was just so dumdeedum for me that I probably overlook him a little. Very good dman, though.

I also liked Brad Marsh. Kind of workman-like and under-appreciated like Kjell.

I have a hard time putting Smith on ANY list that isn't "most forgettable."

Well i'll say from what i saw pass through Philly during my earlier years and even now he wasn't the best but he surely wasn't the worst.

He was a pretty good Captain as well. The biggest thing was when he got to Philly he was just beat up and broken down...he got there about 5 years to late. Still thought he was decent despite it all.

Well i'll say from what i saw pass through Philly during my earlier years and even now he wasn't the best but he surely wasn't the worst.

He was a pretty good Captain as well. The biggest thing was when he got to Philly he was just beat up and broken down...he got there about 5 years to late. Still thought he was decent despite it all.

Don't worry, next season they'll have a Jason Smith night at the WFC, just like they did for Forsberg and the 50 games he played here (they should've enshrined "the boot").

Didn't he end up beating his wife?

Archived