The greatest Flyers Dman?

FD19372

Who is the greatest Flyers Dman in franchise history? Thoughts? I would say Mark Howe. From 1982-1992, he totaled 197 goals, 545 assists for 742 points. My top 5 would be 1) Howe 2) Desjardins 3) Timonen 4) Moose Dupont 5) Kjell Samuellson. Howe would have won at least two Norris Trophies back then, but played in an era with Coffey and Bourque. Howe was such an excellent skater, passer and had a great wrist shot. He was also a good defender on an excellent defensive team in the 1980s. Pronger would've been on this list but didn't play long enough in Orange and Black. It was a toss-up between Samuellson and Jimmy Watson, but I gave Kjell the nod.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@FD19372  Mark Howe, easily....by a country mile. My top 5 has McCrimmon in it. Overall, it's a very weak top 5....they would not match up well with other teams that have been around as long. I think Mark Howe is one of the top 5 NHL players for skating...it was magic watching his absolute effortless stride, a true thing of beauty.

Gotta be Howe, not even close.

I thought back to the 70's Flyers, the defense was pretty non-descript Bladon, the Watson boys were all damn good but didn't step out of the shadows of the forwards, the coach or the goalie. So yeah, Howe, nobody else comes close.

Who is the greatest Flyers Dman in franchise history? Thoughts? I would say Mark Howe. From 1982-1992, he totaled 197 goals, 545 assists for 742 points. My top 5 would be 1) Howe 2) Desjardins 3) Timonen 4) Moose Dupont 5) Kjell Samuellson. Howe would have won at least two Norris Trophies back then, but played in an era with Coffey and Bourque. Howe was such an excellent skater, passer and had a great wrist shot. He was also a good defender on an excellent defensive team in the 1980s. Pronger would've been on this list but didn't play long enough in Orange and Black. It was a toss-up between Samuellson and Jimmy Watson, but I gave Kjell the nod.

I would put MacCrimmon in there ahead of Kjell Samuellson... Don't really remember Moose Dupont at all, I do remember Joe Watson and he was pretty tough and a decent player. But I think your list looks fine.

sad that the pickin's are so slim

Frank Bathe

LOL, good ol' Frank "Blood" Bathe.....one of the most accurate nicknames of all time....He was such a straight up goon, but he never hid the fact he could not play properly.....one of the reasons I respected him so much, he never hid from the fact his fists kept him employed....miss watching that guy lose it like a psycho!!

@NRH  You did see this was a d-man thread....no?

I was thinking of a different player at the time, not sure why I put Rod in there but the train of thought is lost now hours later. Ignore the post.

Chris Pronger played in a flyers uniform for three seasons yet is the second greatest defenseman ever in the franchise's history...

Quite sad if you ask me, never change Philly.

No one mentioned Pronger...except you......and you're not a Flyer fan so it don't count....so put the bud down you've toked too much. :confused[1]:

No one mentioned Pronger...except you......and you're not a Flyer fan so it don't count....so put the bud down you've toked too much. :confused[1]:

No one did mention pronger...i was simply saying he only played as a flyer for 3 seasons yet is probably better than any other flyers defenseman the flyers have had in that 3 year span besides Howe.

Btw, i have never "toked"

No one did mention pronger...i was simply saying he only played as a flyer for 3 seasons yet is probably better than any other flyers defenseman the flyers have had in that 3 year span besides Howe.

Btw, i have never "toked"

Well there haven't been a lot...well not since i've been following them...never followed them in Howe's days i got to see Eric Desjardins and Kimmo Timonen that is it. Kim Johnsson was pretty solid for the little bit of time he was here. But there wasn't a lot.

So what i've seen it would be Eric Desjardins, Kimmo, Pronger, Johnsson and Jason Smith my top 5 honorable mention but they were old or came to late Derian Hatcher and Marcus Ragnarsson. 

Archived