This night could be magical in Buffalo

Buffalo Rick

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL...you should read the Sabres forums....many of their fans are believeing the hype that they "tanked" to guarantee themselves Eichel...... LOL,,,

Should be an interesting draft. 

LOL...you should read the Sabres forums....many of their fans are believeing the hype that they "tanked" to guarantee themselves Eichel...... LOL,,,

The truth is they should do fine with Eichel. I'd be wetting myself right now if the flyers were getting him. I guess if I'm a Buffalo fan (and killing myself isn't an option) then I'm trying to put a positive spin on it.

But clearly McDavid was the prize.

I do enjoy reading the Sabres forums. In addition to the halibut recipes, you can get good advice on how to deal with that wonky transmission in your Lumina.

@ruxpin

oh i totally agree Rux.  I just find it tad funny that some Sabre fans are acting that Eichel was the prize all along.  Just be honest and admit, "hey we are disappointted that we wiil not be drafting McDavid but that Eichel will still be a nice player for us" 

To put on a front and say otherwise is just plain dumb.

There is also Eichel's take on this where he is probably quite happy going to Buffalo vs Edmonton -- thus Buffalo just could be the "real" winner here.  In comparing with other draft years Eichel would clearly be a #1 pick.

“I have a lot to offer,” the reigning Hobey Baker winner explained. “[i’m an] extreme competitor and I never like to lose. I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.

“I think I’d be a great teammate.”

There is also Eichel's take on this where he is probably quite happy going to Buffalo vs Edmonton -- thus Buffalo just could be the "real" winner here. In comparing with other draft years Eichel would clearly be a #1 pick.

Who else is hoping Eichel goes back to BU after the Sabres draft him? :)

What difference does it make? They'll still own his rights and they push his contract back a year.

It might actually be better for the Sabres if he does go back to BU.

He gets another year to mature and play on a successful team.   Buffalo, meanwhile, probably gets yet another very high pick.  And Eichel has a chance to start when some other prospects are ready and probably Buffalo brings in some outside help with the $40M or whatever they have in cap room.   Win win from here.    The only part that stinks is that a very patient but anxious fan base has to wait another year to see him.

What difference does it make? They'll still own his rights and they push his contract back a year.

I realize they will retain his rights, it would just prolong the Sabres rebuilding process which I for one would enjoy. People here in Western NY were convinced the Sabres would get McDavid and be more competitive next season. Now they have a chance for Eichel at #2 but he decides to go back to school meaning the Sabres will have two wait a bit longer to be competitive. They tanked for immediate results which may not happen now.

It might actually be better for the Sabres if he does go back to BU.

He gets another year to mature and play on a successful team.   Buffalo, meanwhile, probably gets yet another very high pick.  And Eichel has a chance to start when some other prospects are ready and probably Buffalo brings in some outside help with the $40M or whatever they have in cap room.   Win win from here.    The only part that stinks is that a very patient but anxious fan base has to wait another year to see him.

All true. Personally i think he'll be in the NHL next year. Not much left to prove in the NCAA unless he wants another shot at the national championship.

Congrats on the Jack Eichel pick, @Hockey Junkie ....he will now join a nice collection of young players to try and help bring your franchise back to respectability.

But much like McDavid in Edmonton, it will now be up to the FO to surround these guys with excellent supplemental players, good defense, and oh yea, ya still need a goalie.

Smile, be happy, be insanely giddy.....but at the end of the day, it's not enough to have the picks n prospects. Ya gotta develop them properly, ya gotta cultivate an environment where they are going to have the best chances of succeeding as a group.

That will be Buffalo's biggest challenge....turning this collection of boys into a cohesive, NHL-level, competitive group of MEN.

And they will have to do it in one of the tougher divisions in hockey, the Atlantic Division.

Archived