Who will the Leafs pick?

BluPuk

Since the draft is on Friday, I thought now was a good time to take a guess...

Depends an awful lot on who the three teams ahead of them pick, but I think if Strome is available at 4, they will take him; if not, I think they will take Mitch Marner. Just a gut feel.

Since the draft is on Friday, I thought now was a good time to take a guess...

Depends an awful lot on who the three teams ahead of them pick, but I think if Strome is available at 4, they will take him; if not, I think they will take Mitch Marner. Just a gut feel.

The draft board should read:

Hanifin

Marner

But they may want Strome

I see Hanifin as their guy if he falls to them. A no brainer, IMHO as they actually are accumulating a nice collection of young centers such as Nylander who should make the roster in a top six role this year. Defense is the teams number one need, and Hanifin could and should step into a top four role as in right now.

So with Hanifin as the anchor on the back end and Nylander (and Frederik Gauthier, a shut down center for the bottom six coming too) it gives the Leafs something to build around. That is of course predicated upon Hanifin falling to you guys.

I would go Strome next and then Marner, but really, any of the five would be a good fit. I just see Hanifin as ideal.

Strome is the big bodied guy the Leafs should take, if he's still on the board.  He would be, down the road, their #1 center.  Then Nylander could play on the wing, where he would not have to take on the D-zone responsibilities that he struggles with.

Strome is the big bodied guy the Leafs should take, if he's still on the board.  He would be, down the road, their #1 center.  Then Nylander could play on the wing, where he would not have to take on the D-zone responsibilities that he struggles with.

I agree. Sure they have Nylander, but every team needs a Getzlaf-type center to anchor the top line. The Leafs haven't had anyone even close to that since Sundin. And that's who Strome most compares to (Getzlaf).

I think Gauthier will be their man in that situation (D-zone faceoffs) but I could certainly see the Leafs coveting Strome. They know better than anyone how tough it is playing without a #1 C.

I don't think they will draft Hanifin because he's a d man. I think it's either Strome or Marner and I think it's really Strome they want, so they may do a deal of some kind where with Carolina where they swap picks?

Carolina may take Hanifin third anyway......

Knowing the Leafs I honestly believe they are going to screw up it up and pick a guy who is rated lower and pick a guy like Ivan Provorov or Lawson Crouse, it just always happens that way, Ideally I want the Leafs to pick Strome, hometown 6'3" CENTRE that Leafs need although I'm betting the Coyotes take him. Its pretty much going to come down to Hanifin, Marner as the best available choices. I'd honestly rather have Hanifin because he will solidify Toronto's top pairing for the next decade as Rielly-Hanifin. Leafs already have a speedy skilled guy in Nylander no need to add another in Marner when you could get a future #1 D man. If we get Hanifin our future core will be start to look like Nylander, Rielly, Hanifin, good young guys to build around and if we're bad enough and lucky enough next season you add Matthews to that and we have something brewing in Toronto. 

Knowing the Leafs I honestly believe they are going to screw up it up and pick a guy who is rated lower and pick a guy like Ivan Provorov or Lawson Crouse, it just always happens that way, Ideally I want the Leafs to pick Strome, hometown 6'3" CENTRE that Leafs need although I'm betting the Coyotes take him. Its pretty much going to come down to Hanifin, Marner as the best available choices. I'd honestly rather have Hanifin because he will solidify Toronto's top pairing for the next decade as Rielly-Hanifin. Leafs already have a speedy skilled guy in Nylander no need to add another in Marner when you could get a future #1 D man. If we get Hanifin our future core will be start to look like Nylander, Rielly, Hanifin, good young guys to build around and if we're bad enough and lucky enough next season you add Matthews to that and we have something brewing in Toronto.

Leafs should take Strome. Nylander is not 6'3"

When did I say Nylander was 6'3"?

Sorry, I know you didn't. I see that I misread your post. I thought you were saying since you had Nylander you didn't need to draft a centre. But that's not what you said. My apologies for being so careless.

I think the Leafs will end up taking Hanifan, and I think they can use him. I think Strome will be off the board, because the 'Yotes will take him.

This is the first chance in decades (literally) that the Leafs have a chance to have a wicked 1-2 punch down the middle. You have to have strong scoring centers to thrive in this league. Nylander and Marner/Strome is the way to go....if they pass up this chance, they will regret it.

This is the first chance in decades (literally) that the Leafs have a chance to have a wicked 1-2 punch down the middle. You have to have strong scoring centers to thrive in this league. Nylander and Marner/Strome is the way to go....if they pass up this chance, they will regret it.

I'd agree except that would be history repeating itself.   :(

Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin for example, the best 1-2 punch in the NHL... but they can't get out of the first round. 

Un-f'n-believable.

"Mitch Marner was selected fourth overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs on Friday at the NHL Draft.

The five-foot-11 forward played for the Ontario Hockey League’s London Knights in major junior."

This franchise is hopeless.  :(

I realize there are no "bad" prospects in the top 5 of a draft, but some are more suited to the NHL than others and some are more valuable to a particular team than others. The Leafs needed a #1 defenceman. They have shown no desire to draft one, no ability to trade for one, and no ability to sign one via free agency. And they will never (mark my words) win a Stanley Cup without one.

Adding another small forward does nothing for the Leafs. They have plenty of small forwards that don't go into tough areas and that get physically banged around by others teams enough as it is. This is another in a long line of colossal draft blunders.

The Leafs are going to watch another team hoist the Stanley Cup with a #1 defenceman that the Leafs could have drafted but passed on. Same story as usual. :(

Adding another small forward does nothing for the Leafs. They have plenty of small forwards that don't go into tough areas and that get physically banged around by others teams enough as it is. This is another in a long line of colossal draft blunders.

Strongly disagree. You should NEVER pass on a player like Marner. He is an offensive dynamo, a true star that will dominate in this league. Having Nylander and Marner down the middle makes the Leaf MUCH closer to being legitimate contenders. You NEED two scoring centers in this league, or risk your top center being hunted down by the best checkers in the league. The presence of Marner will take heat off of Nylander....or vice versa. Marner is the most talented Leaf since Sittler....he is that good. One of the top creative players in the league as soon as he plays 1 game....elite vision and passing, soft hands....WICKED speed....this kid has it all but size....and Johnny Gaudreau was fine being skinny as a rail in this rookie year. Plus, Marner does not back down, he will get right in your grill and antagonize you while he is busy stealing the puck.  LOVE this pick by the Leafs.....the very best choice they could have made....UNLESS Marner gets another concussion....that is why he missed most of the Erie vs Knights series.

Wow, I'm surprised at the reaction. This kid is a Keon-like player. I LOVE the pick (and, I predicted it). 

Besides, we already have a number one defenseman.... :ph34r:    J.K.

I am sure that this management team knows what it's doing. We have all summer to make any other trades for Kessel, Bozak, or whomever. There is no reason to hurry anything.

I am convinced that Shanny will eventually make all the right moves - we just need to stay patient.

Strongly disagree. You should NEVER pass on a player like Marner. He is an offensive dynamo, a true star that will dominate in this league. Having Nylander and Marner down the middle makes the Leaf MUCH closer to being legitimate contenders. You NEED two scoring centers in this league, or risk your top center being hunted down by the best checkers in the league. The presence of Marner will take heat off of Nylander....or vice versa. Marner is the most talented Leaf since Sittler....he is that good. One of the top creative players in the league as soon as he plays 1 game....elite vision and passing, soft hands....WICKED speed....this kid has it all but size....and Johnny Gaudreau was fine being skinny as a rail in this rookie year. Plus, Marner does not back down, he will get right in your grill and antagonize you while he is busy stealing the puck.  LOVE this pick by the Leafs.....the very best choice they could have made....UNLESS Marner gets another concussion....that is why he missed most of the Erie vs Knights series.

So he already has a history of concussions? Oh it just keeps getting better...   :(

My gut tells me that Marner is the kind of player that can dominate the minor leagues but be completely over-matched physically in the NHL. Time will tell what happens, but I'm not expecting anything from Marner. I see him as a scratch player next season that will be sent back down to the minors within a month or two. If the Leafs are lucky, maybe he becomes another talented but injury prone Lupul type of player.

This dreary weather today has me feeling more negative than usual.  :)

Archived