What is the problem with Gagner? Do we keep him?

RonJeremy

Buyout would only be minimal (422k, 622k) against the cap this year and next, as the Lightning would pay some of it and Gagner's under 26. That said, it makes more sense to just let him play and see what you have. Try him at LW, if he doesn't work out, move him at the deadline, or, worst case, let his contract expire. Unless there is some great pressing need to clear a ton of salary, I don't see a buyout as that useful a move.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't bet on him getting much better all of a sudden. When it comes to Sam Gagner there is an established level of performance which ALWAYS has him getting the same number of points no matter the situation. He's been needing to impress a news coach almost every year in his career, and if Dave Tippett wasn't able to impart some defensive awareness to him, I'm not sure there's a coach that can. He is what he is, and there's a player that has some uses for a hockey team: give him soft zone starts on the wing, some PP time, and watch 40 points roll in.

@JR Ewing

So in other words he's a faster younger version of the present VLC with half the caphit and only 1 year contract.

Just how slow is Vinny now? I ask because Gagner's not really a quick skater.

Vinny's skating is starting to resemble Continental Drift. I'll take Sam Gagner over him any day.

Damn. That's way closer than glacier. Wasn't thinking.

New video released of his off-season training reigimen

:ph34r:

We all just have to hope that Hextall has the same kind of sales pitch as the car salesman who sold Clark Griswold the metallic peat sportster in Nat'l Lampoon's Vacation.  :D  :ph34r:

Why would they buy Gagner out? It's only a year if he plays, but how many years would we end up paying for a buyout?

How are they going to buy Vinny out? Why continue to pay slightly less for him per year over the longer duration?

You have to play Vinny and hope Hakstol can do something with him (he scored well for the three games before chief came to town) or hope he gets himself hurt. We did just game an additional LTIR slot.

If you can move him without giving up to much, do it. Otherwise I say keep them both and see if Hakstol can make men out of them.

I like the direction things are heading in, but I don't think this team is "dumping VLC" away from seriously contending.

If we get that much closer this season but him out when we're closer and the buyout will take less time. Right now, try to make him look good and tradable and maybe he surprises us in the mean time.

I have some small degree of faith that he and others will look better without chief. If we can get 20-25 goals out of him again and he's not too deep on. The minus side, I think he's worth keeping until we can trade him.

I don't disagree with any of that.   If it were up to me, he doesn't get bought out.   But if they really need the space for what they want to do this year, they probably do it.   Just from what's been said, I suspect he's a gonner.    I think I only do it if that's the only way the numbers for other priorities work.

I don't disagree with any of that.   If it were up to me, he doesn't get bought out.   But if they really need the space for what they want to do this year, they probably do it.   Just from what's been said, I suspect he's a gonner.    I think I only do it if that's the only way the numbers for other priorities work.

Roster space?

I just keep thinking of MDZ and how he turned it around when he saw the writing on the wall.

Could Hakstol be the kind of coach Gagner needed all along?

Or is hextall really just as foolish as Homer and thought he was trading to bring Simon Gagne back again?

Roster space?

I just keep thinking of MDZ and how he turned it around when he saw the writing on the wall.

Or is hextall really just as foolish as Homer and thought he was trading to bring Simon Gagne back again?

I agree he could help him turn it around...money wise i'm sure they will evaluate it and do what is best for the club.

Well, Gagner was not placed on waivers today, so I think that should end the buyout speculation.

Unless, of course, MDZ files for arbitration, in which case the Flyers would have a second buyout period after the conclusion of the arbitration procedure.

Well, Gagner was not placed on waivers today, so I think that should end the buyout speculation.

Unless, of course, MDZ files for arbitration, in which case the Flyers would have a second buyout period after the conclusion of the arbitration procedure.

Well don't they have till 5pm tomorrow?

Roster space?

Well, roster space, but more or less Cap space.

Currently they have something like $6.5M in space.

They still need a backup goalie, need to sign MDZ and I don't think Gagner is their first line LWer (maybe).    I don't think the cap space is necessarily in an emergency situation.  They could do a goalie and MDZ and probably have up to $2M left.   

I'm with you on the MDZ comparison.  I was thinking along those lines as well.   To ME, it's really worth the shot unless they are really targeting someone else and need the cap space.  I can't begin to imagine who.

Archived