Diagnosing The Disarray Of The Boston Bruins - aka Draft Day Disaster

pilldoc

and Tim Thomas coming out of nowhere to fix it.

Yup.  But, for some obscure reason, Boston management always wanted to dump Thomas.  And, losing Boychuk was idiotic.  

I know they had to get rid of Lucic, but they've made one dumb move after another.

Yup.  But, for some obscure reason, Boston management always wanted to dump Thomas.  And, losing Boychuk was idiotic.  

I know they had to get rid of Lucic, but they've made one dumb move after another.

For years we said we needed to get a GM with complete autonomy. Someone not bred internally as a yes man to Sinden and Jacobs. Well, they did. It took a few years, but Chiarelli fixed what was a broken franchise by dumping everyone but Bergeron.

But down the line, it seemed like Neely was getting more and more involved. Chiarelli seemed pressured. Weird trades started.

Now? Sweeney seems to be a "Toe the company line" guy, and his moved REEKED of the old school mentality. We heard Hamilton wanted north of what was offered. Next thing you know, he is traded for lottery tickets far below his value. Lucic apparently wanted a lucrative extension too. At this point, I kind of would not have given it to him either, so they got good value for him.....Then wasted the pick LOL.

Neely seems to want to have players who "Play the bruins brand" of hockey, yet....?

But again, reminds me of the dark ages of being a bruins fan. guy wants money? SHIP HIM.

I put up with it for 10 years before the Thornton trade pushed me over the edge. EVERY time a player got good, they wanted to ship him. Oates wants more money(He was underpaid) Traded! No problem. Joseph Stumpel is going to be a first line center right? Ugh. I remember the player holdouts too well. Byron Dafoe wanted a raise? Well he kinda sorta did get a few 3 win seasons in a row and some Hart votes, but they did not want to pay him more than 2 million. He held out for 3. Jason Allison scored 96 points during clutch and grab? SHIP HIM. He will want more than 3.5 million. Kyle Mclaren was a very good shutdown defender with the Arse of doom hipchecks, but he wanted a slight raise from 1.7 million to around 2 and a half, and they just refused, so he sat until they traded him to the Sharks.

Seriously. they shipped just about anyone playing well for like 10 years except whoever they deemed the face.

AND THEN, Jacobs in an owners meeting got reamed by Illitch for being a cheapskate who only cares about profit. Jacobs decides to be a dink and offer Martin Lapointe(A career 3rd liner) 5 million per year.

It was just so ridiculous. By then, I barely had anything invested in the team. They always shipped players I liked. Except Jumbo. But then....Whoops, the old slow team we built sucks! Let's ship the guy with 33 points in 22 games, it is all his fault and he makes too much money! We can get 3 players for his salary!

@J0e Th0rnton

Awesome history lesson there!

I wish I had known all that history when having to deal with smarmy, arrogant Bruins fans during their peak between 2010-2013 or so.

I know for a fact there are many cool Bruins fans, but its just the loud obnoxious ones that seem to get noticed the most when their team is winning....yet those are the same ones who go silent once the team hits the skids.

To listen to some Bruins fans talk, their team or players could NEVER do any wrong and everyone else was 'garbage' (teams, players, etc) in comparison to them.

Those same blowhards seem to forget their team's more ridiculous recent past....or more likely jumped on the Boston bandwagon AFTER they started winning again, and thus have no recollection of any of that.

For those that wonder why I keep hammering the ol " I LOVE seeing the Bruins like this"...well, there ya go...haha.

There is similar thing happening now with some of the Chicago fanbase now that the Hawks have won 3 in 6 ( I suppose every fanbase will have those types of troglodytes once a team starts winning regularly), but for my money, the Hawks fans I have encountered aren't nearly as bad as the bad Bruins ones I have had the misfortune of dealing with.

2016 first and Sean Kuraly

NOT NICE

a first????? Is it lottery protected???

Granted, if they miss the playoffs again, Wilson probably loses his job, so he does not give a **** and is all in?

I better see SJ SIGNS SEKERA AND GREEN tomorrow afternoon

Edit; WIlson just made a trade with the guy everyone has labelled as the next Milbury and LOST.

A 1st is way too much for an unproven backup

@pilldoc

I am going to stay positive . I like Jones. I just hate giving up a first for a goalie.

But if he is the savior, we make out like bandits.

On another note, he is RFA. Think he will get around 2.5 million for 2-3 years?

That leaves us with a TON of caproom to go all in on Sekera/Green/Frolik/ Whoever as long as we leave3-4 million for Hertl/Nieto next season

Yikes. Hamilton signs 6 years, 5.75 million per. You mean to tell me Boston couldn't do that?

nhlnumbers has them at $7.7M in cap space with 9F, 5D and 1G - AND counting Savard's $4M and change cap hit.

Quite frankly, if Hamilton was looking at that as the number, I would have done a ton to make it work

nhlnumbers has them at $7.7M in cap space with 9F, 5D and 1G - AND counting Savard's $4M and change cap hit.

Quite frankly, if Hamilton was looking at that as the number, I would have done a ton to make it work

Starting with not signing McQuaid for almost 3 million for four years.

So... he was hoping to have an asset to trade in a couple of years?

They had a potential cornerstone franchise defenseman and traded him in an effort to... draft a potential cornerstone franchise defenseman?

What a good idea!

:hocky:

So both Seguin and Hamilton are gone from Boston. Owch!  They turned the greatest trade win in NHL history back into a loss.  :o

IDEA!!! Perhaps the Bruins would like Kessel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  All we ask is for two first round draft picks. How about it Boston? :thumbsu:

So both Seguin and Hamilton are gone from Boston. Owch!  They turned the greatest trade win in NHL history back into a loss.  :o

IDEA!!! Perhaps the Bruins would like Kessel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  All we ask is for two first round draft picks. How about it Boston? :thumbsu:

Let's not get crazy. haha

So both Seguin and Hamilton are gone from Boston. Owch! They turned the greatest trade win in NHL history back into a loss. :o

The most comical thing regarding the trade of Seguin to Dallas was the behind the scenes Bruins how that showed the Bruins management sitting around a table...they claim they traded Seguin because he "didn't play Bruin hockey".....L-M-A-O!!  In al fairness, it was taped just after the Stanley Cup playoffs, when the Bruins needed to post a guard at Seguin's door to stop him from sneaking out an drinking during the playoffs....ha ha!

That in and of itself is reason alone to trade someone, even if that someone was a young star like Seguin who was just selected #2 overall in the previous draft. That kind of behavior is totally unacceptable during the regular season, much less in the playoffs with elimination on the line....some of the vets probably wanted to string the kid up and tar and feather him...LOL!

Yeah, go ahead trade him.....but you gotta make it COUNT!!  You don't let him go for Loui friggin Erickson, Joe Morrow and Riley Smith!  Loui was MUCH better with Dallas than Boston, but even at almost a point per game, not nearly enough for a #2 overall pick who is one of the best skaters in the league with SICK moves!!  Not many knew who Riley Smith was when that deal went down, but damn....if Smith was not "thrown in"...that trade would have been HORRIBLE!! 

I guess when they said he does not play "Bruin hockey" they meant that he would go on to lead the league in scoring.

Perhaps Sinden and Jacobs knew how good Seguin was, and shipped him out of town before they had to fork over a BIG FAT wad of money, being the tightwads they have always been. Ship him out before he gets great, just avoid that whole messy contract thing...WTF!!!

Yeah, go ahead trade him.....but you gotta make it COUNT!!  You don't let him go for Loui friggin Erickson, Joe Morrow and Riley Smith!  Loui was MUCH better with Dallas than Boston, but even at almost a point per game, not nearly enough for a #2 overall pick who is one of the best skaters in the league with SICK moves!!  Not many knew who Riley Smith was when that deal went down, but damn....if Smith was not "thrown in"...that trade would have been HORRIBLE!! 

And now Smith is gone for Hayes. And Belesky comes in at 5 years, 19 million. Bruins fans are gonna need programs...

• 2 months later...

Archived