Flyers are interested in bringing Sharp back?

Mad Dog

Well, they can't afford him. And Chicago can't afford to make a bad contract trade to get rid of him, which is what the Flyers would need to do. And it doesn't match the direction the Flyers have been moving under Hextall. I find it funny that the Flyers are still getting tied to a lot of trades through "sources," when nothing that Hextall has done has leaked to the media ahead of it happening.

Dude scores in the playoffs. Blackhawks moving for cap space?

Depends on what they get back.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/7/1/8880953/flyers-interested-in-patrick-sharp

Hmmm... An intriguing thought, I guess. Not that I would be vehemently opposed to this, but much depends on what pieces would have to be moved.

I think he is signed through the end of 2017 and is making $5 mil.

2009 Sharp... bring him on....2015/16  no ****** thanks.
salary too high, play too declining, no thanks

This, on both counts.  I really wish we'd had him all along.  But now, we're just getting someone else's broken Mustang.  It's too bad.

Dude scores in the playoffs. Blackhawks moving for cap space?

Depends on what they get back.

I really really want to consider Sharp.  I've always been upset he was traded away in the first place.  But he had a horrible year and I think it's going to get worse.  I wish him the best, but I hope that's elsewhere at this point.

I really really want to consider Sharp. I've always been upset he was traded away in the first place. But he had a horrible year and I think it's going to get worse. I wish him the best, but I hope that's elsewhere at this point.

I dont particularly want him either. Just trying to see a bright side. Might do well with J&G for two years?

He looked like a shell of his former self in this years playoffs. No thanks. Unless the asking price is a 3rd round pick or later....which I doubt. The Hawks used up all the good years, and are now trying to get a nice payout on his way out....hopefully Hexy sees through this crap.

He looked like a shell of his former self in this years playoffs. No thanks. Unless the asking price is a 3rd round pick or later....which I doubt. The Hawks used up all the good years, and are now trying to get a nice payout on his way out....hopefully Hexy sees through this crap.

Even for a 6th round pick, I'm concerned about his cap hit vs. what I expect will be his production.  I have this knee-jerk "ooh shiney!" thought when thinking about getting him, but I think it's a bad idea.

@King Knut

Yeah, I've thought about him on the wing with G&V, and it's a tempting thought to me.   But again, cap hit and I think he's really faltering.  It's too bad.  I like the guy.

Even for a 6th round pick, I'm concerned about his cap hit vs. what I expect will be his production.

Just to  play devil's advocate a little, I would assume the only way Hexy would even consider trading for him is if, and ONLY if, he can move other salaries from the team.  So in that case his annual $5 mil hit would be easier to absorb ( I really thought he was actually making more - not sure why).  But I can't see any GM taking on McDud and VLC, and after that, there is not much the Flyers would be willing to trade.  So in that case his annual $5 mil hit would be easier to absorb.  And he would only be here for 2 years - not a huge burden contract-wise. And I can see him do well on Giroux's line.

But I agree with what you and other people are saying. The bigger picture he has been steadily declining.  He has been as consistent as one could be for many years after he was traded by the Flyers.  But lately - not so much.  And he is actually becoming a bit injury-prone as we.  He didn't impress in the playoffs, and I am afraid this is just the beginning of a pretty ugly trend for him.

Unless the asking price is a 3rd round pick or later....which I doubt

Or they take a significant amount of stuff back like Luke and VLC.....but that is a pipe dream and i see them just stay with what they got...

Or they take a significant amount of stuff back like Luke and VLC.....but that is a pipe dream and i see them just stay with what they got...

Yeah, given that Chicago is in cap hell and is trading Sharp largely as a salary dump, I don't see them taking expensive driftwood back.

Just to  play devil's advocate a little, I would assume the only way Hexy would even consider trading for him is if, and ONLY if, he can move other salaries from the team.  So in that case his annual $5 mil hit would be easier to absorb ( I really thought he was actually making more - not sure why).  But I can't see any GM taking on McDud and VLC, and after that, there is not much the Flyers would be willing to trade.  So in that case his annual $5 mil hit would be easier to absorb.  And he would only be here for 2 years - not a huge burden contract-wise. And I can see him do well on Giroux's line.

I am of this opinion too. I would have no problem with Sharp if VLC can be moved. Obviously, it will not be to Chicago, but in a separate deal. 

Anyway you slice it, Sharp is an upgrade to VLC in every possible way. He's younger, addresses a need, plays the right position, and is a goal scorer. 

Of course, it depends on what Chicago wants for Sharp. I would not pay very much to help them out of their salary cap problems, much like I would not expect much for VLC.

I am of this opinion too. I would have no problem with Sharp if VLC can be moved. Obviously, it will not be to Chicago, but in a separate deal.

Anyway you slice it, Sharp is an upgrade to VLC in every possible way. He's younger, addresses a need, plays the right position, and is a goal scorer.

Of course, it depends on what Chicago wants for Sharp. I would not pay very much to help them out of their salary cap problems, much like I would not expect much for VLC.

I'm okay with this plan, but I'd rather not even take on Sharp.

I'm okay with this plan, but I'd rather not even take on Sharp.

Yeah, all things being equal, I'd rather not even go there. What would be the point, really? It would probably give the Flyers a few extra points in the standings, no playoff berth, and a worse pick. So I'm not sure what the rationale would be. 

Getting rid of VLC and not taking anything back is good enough. It opens a roster spot, frees up salary space to resign Jake this year, and Coots and Schenn next year. 

While I agree that Sharp is an upgrade, this would just need to be one he ll of a deal. Sharp is a cap hit of $5.9m over the next 2 years with a M-NTC(don't know the particulars). This is a win-now move rather than a rebuild move. We're not that close to the prize and probably, realistically, won't be in the next 2 years. 

But hey... if they can figure out how to solve our Vinny problem or take Luke Schenn off our hands... I'd certainly be all ears. 

Archived