Richards Charged...

JackStraw

UNLESS the Kings decided to keep it - but why would they?

Maybe Richards agent demanded it, as a sign of good faith, after the trade went down?   Just throwing stuff at the wall here, doubt it sticks...lol.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Richards agent demanded it, as a sign of good faith, after the trade went down?   Just throwing stuff at the wall here, doubt it sticks...lol.

That's the thing - he could demand all he wants, but the CBA says it goes. Now, it's different when a player waives the clause - he can say "I'll waive it ONLY if you agree to keep it intact after completion of the trade." Then he can torpedo the trade if the acquiring team doesn't agree. But it makes no sense for an acquiring team to keep such a clause intact if there is no leverage on the other side.

My understanding is that USC&BP takes almost a zero tolerance stance on drugs crossing the border, regardless of how much

He was stopped by Canadian Border Services though. I'm sure they have zero tolerance too. If what @jammer2 is saying is true then I'd say he was carrying an un-prescribed Schedule I narcotic then I guess that's automatic. So Mike is not too bright then.

He was stopped by Canadian Border Services though. I'm sure they have zero tolerance too. If what @jammer2 is saying is true then I'd say he was carrying an un-prescribed Schedule I narcotic then I guess that's automatic. So Mike is not too bright then.

Yeah, that's the thing that would make me wonder - he was leaving the US, not entering, so would USC&BP care as much? Canada isn't going to kick a citizen out for such an offense, of course.

@AJgoal

@jammer2

@Podein25

This is from my post earlier in the thread......

post #71  http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/65413-the-omnibus-mike-richards-saga-thread/?p=250548

I don't know all of the Canadian Laws concerning Controlled Subtances.  In the United States there are 5 Classes of Controlled Substances:

Class I = Cocaine powder / Marijuana (except in certain states) / Heroin / other illegal drugs
Class II = Morphine / Fentanyl / Ocycodone / Hydrocondone (recently moved to Class II from Class III) / amphetamines / ritalin / Adderall

Class III = Tylenol with Codeine / Anabalic Steroids

Class IV = Benzo's like Ativan / Valium / Xanax

Class V = Exempt narcotics = Phenergan with Codeine (cough medicine)

In Canada Oxycodone = Class I similiar to US Class II

I searched Canada's version of the DEA Act  here:

http://laws-lois.jus...ng/acts/c-38.8/

I found this "if" he had them illegally.....

Possession of substance

• 4. (1) Except as authorized under the regulations, no person shall possess a substance included in Schedule I, II or III.

• Marginal note:Obtaining substance

(2) No person shall seek or obtain

from a practitioner, unless the person discloses to the practitioner particulars relating to the acquisition by the person of every substance in those Schedules, and of every authorization to obtain such substances, from any other practitioner within the preceding thirty days.

• (a) a substance included in Schedule I, II, III or IV, or

• (b) an authorization to obtain a substance included in Schedule I, II, III or IV

• Marginal note:Punishment

(3) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) where the subject-matter of the offence is a substance included in Schedule I

• (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding seven years; or

• (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable

• (i) for a first offence, to a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to both, and

• (ii) for a subsequent offence, to a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year, or to both.

they pretty much have zero tolerance.  Even if was a small amount.

Also from a previous post I posted.....

If he has a legitamate prescription for them, then there should be no problems.  However, it does get dicey because OxyContin is label by the DEA as a Schedule II Narcotic (Controlled Substance) and I am not up to date on the amount allowed to cross over international borders.  Quantites of 60-120 tablets would be usual ans costumary.  Now suppose he had like a couple hundred tabets on hand, then that could be conisidered something more severe.  Again, I am only speculating here because I do not not know the full story.

There really shouldn't be any confusion surrounding Richards' NMC - since he was traded before it coming into effect, it should not remain attached to his contract, UNLESS the Kings decided to keep it - but why would they?

Well they were trying to trade him during the draft, until Lombardi found out about this border incident. So I assume the NMC isn't an issue here.

My understanding is that oxycontin is Schedule I in Canada but Schedule II in the US. I wonder if he had a prescription from the US? That would make things even more interesting (and worse for the Kings probably).

@JackStraw

It has been confirmed by Canadian news media that it was indeed oxycodone.Oxycodone is a Schedule 1: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-38.8/page-25.html#h-28

So, I presume Mike has had Rx for these before and I further presume he would carry an others obtained through other means in a container with his name, and a prescribing physician's name on it. But maybe expired?

@JackStraw

It has been confirmed by Canadian news media that it was indeed oxycodone.Oxycodone is a Schedule 1: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-38.8/page-25.html#h-28

So, I presume Mike has had Rx for these before and I further presume he would carry an others obtained through other means in a container with his name, and a prescribing physician's name on it. But maybe expired?

What does Schedule 1 mean in Canada? Can you get it with a prescription or is it completely illegal?

What does Schedule 1 mean in Canada? Can you get it with a prescription or is it completely illegal?

It means it's a controlled substance under federal regulation, which includes rules around prescribing and possessing. Some of the rules are right in the Act, others in Regs, which I haven't looked at. Anyway, not sure how much trouble Mike is actually in. 

Schedule I is all the opiates, all the -phines, -ones, -butenes, -azines, all the cocaine derivatives etc 

Canada's Schedule 1 = USA Schedule II.

Prescription only ... NO Refills allowed ... highly controlled

Thanks. Yes, no refills. Most provinces in Canada prescribe these drugs under so-called "triplicate programs" - you guys must have similar eh? 

Archived