Obligatory Question: Is Neuvirth our #1?

Mad Dog

Can't take him out until somebody scores on him .....

I think this is valid.

It's not like he's letting in 1 or 2 goals. It's 120 minutes of shutout hockey.  They've been playing amazing in front of him as well, but you have to let him ride with the assumption that Mason is the eventual #1.  Who the hell knows when Mason will be ready to come back anyway.  It's not like he's there now. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mason has earned the right to be the #1 and Neuvirth has earned the right to keep playing. Based on the way he is playing now, Mason shouldn't feel rushed to return to the team, which I am sure he would have thought about doing if the Flyers had Garbage for a back-up. Give Neuvirth the next start and go from there, just let Mase know the net is waiting for him when he is ready.

I tell you though, I feel a lot better about Mason's injury problems and his knees in particular right about now.

How quickly people forget that the same thing happened last year. Mason started off slow and Emery was white hot to start the year. Then, Mason came on like gangbusters and Emery slid into mediocrity (through no fault of his own - the drive and competitiveness was there, but the body is no longer able). Mason will be just fine. Let him deal with what needs to be dealt with and he'll be back on track in no time.

How quickly people forget that the same thing happened last year. Mason started off slow and Emery was white hot to start the year. Then, Mason came on like gangbusters and Emery slid into mediocrity (through no fault of his own - the drive and competitiveness was there, but the body is no longer able). Mason will be just fine. Let him deal with what needs to be dealt with and he'll be back on track in no time.

Yeah... fans do get excited easily. He's had a great 2 game run here... let's just ride him until he falters. He will falter... hate to break it. A few games do not supplant Mason as starter. Now.. if he goes on a heater and stays hot for a month or longer... then we can talk about starters. 

He stays in until somebody scores on him .. 

I think this is valid.

It's not like he's letting in 1 or 2 goals. It's 120 minutes of shutout hockey.  They've been playing amazing in front of him as well, but you have to let him ride with the assumption that Mason is the eventual #1.  Who the hell knows when Mason will be ready to come back anyway.  It's not like he's there now. 

You guys are selling him short.  You play him until he doesn't play well.  The shut out streak won't last but his "hot hand" play may last several more games.  Even if they lose and he stands on his head, you keep him in there.  

The thing is that Neuvirth is not some free agent goalie that a team just pulled off the street. Michal Neuvirth has 153 starts in his career and he has a winning record. The Flyers are lucky that they have 2 quality goalies so they can play the hot hand.

You guys are selling him short. You play him until he doesn't play well. The shut out streak won't last but his "hot hand" play may last several more games. Even if they lose and he stands on his head, you keep him in there.

Nah. If Dallas scores on him Mason plays the 2nd game.

Mason is your #1 and he needs to start. Goalies are a funny breed. If Mason wasn't firmly established as the #1 or if it was the playoff stretch run, we could talk. But Neuvy has two games as a flyer and honestly Mason needs to get his groove back.

The very last thing this team needs right now is Mason getting down on himself and staying there.

Especially since Hexy didn't go get Martin Jones in the off season and let the Sharks steal him.

Before we continue to go all gaga over Neuvirth's two shutouts, let's recall for a moment that the goalie with the longest shutout streak in NHL history is Brian Boucher.

And the Flyers' longest shutout streak is by Ilya Bryzgalov.

Play the hot hand, by all means, but two games doesn't supplant last season for Mason.

Play the hot hand, by all means, but two games doesn't supplant last season for Mason.

WTF i'd already email the NHL Hall of Fame but there you go throwing a monkey wrench is those plans...i'll have to ask Hillary how to delete emails now i guess.....

i can understand mason is the number 1 but the issue is what about mason's mental state going on forward, i dont know how serious the family issue is but if it's going to affect him where he cant stay focused on the ice then should get less playing time. i mean yeah he says fine, he can get through it, but when it comes to playing a game, it can still be a distraction. it's like playing injuried players last year like umberger, matt read where it hurts the team.

that's the other thing with this organzation, they always rush the players when they are not 100 percent healthy, although that's more on snider since he always desperate for a cup and still doesnt get it.

So is he now?

Flyers coach Dave Hakstol said he would decide who starts Tuesday after watching upcoming practices. But he seemed to be leaning toward Mason when he said, "I don't think it [Neuvirth's hot streak] changes our situation at all."

Flyers coach Dave Hakstol said he would decide who starts Tuesday after watching upcoming practices. But he seemed to be leaning toward Mason when he said, "I don't think it [Neuvirth's hot streak] changes our situation at all."

It doesn't change the starting situation per se, but I strongly disagree with swaping goalies when one is on a two games shutout streak. That sends the wrong message: success on ice is not rewarded.

It doesn't change the starting situation per se, but I strongly disagree with swaping goalies when one is on a two games shutout streak. That sends the wrong message: success on ice is not rewarded.

I would give Neuvirth the first game in the B2B

Well, I've probably seen Neuvirth play more than most here, being a former Spit and all....he is a very good back up, but Mason is the starter here. I thought he might turn into a decent NHL goalie when he was here, but he just as easily could have dropped into obscurity also. There is an outside chance his change of location woke him up and he might steal a few more starts from Mas, but not the starting job.

Who’s in goal?

Conventional wisdom suggests that after a five-day layoff, Steve Mason may have gotten the starter’s net back from the hot hand in Michal Neuvirth, who may have cooled off during the down time.

Hakstol wouldn’t confirm who would be between the pipes, but Mason said he wouldn’t be surprised if Neuvirth got to continue his shutout streak of 132:05 and counting.

“Michal deserves to play,” said Mason, who was away from the team for most of last week dealing with a family medical issue. “He played two real solid games and he did his job. If he were to play (Tuesday) it wouldn’t change anything for me. I just have to keep working hard for whatever that game is.”

Conventional wisdom also suggests that the goalies would split Tuesday against Dallas and Wednesday in Boston considering it’s a back-to-back scenario, but Hakstol wasn’t forthcoming on that either.

“I’m not sure how these games are going to shake out,” Mason said, “but those are situations you don’t even focus on. You take what you’re given and you work as hard as you can to play well in those games. If it was a back-to-back or every other day and that changed the schedule a little bit, I’m not sure. You just work to prepare for every game that you play.”

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2015/10/19/sam-gagner-sticks-lineup-rj-umberger-healthy/74222106/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Noy-ver deserves to play and defend his shutout streak.

Archived