Flyers recipe for success

ratskull

For the Flyers to be successful, they need to (in no particular order):

1. Implement more dump and chase. Remember retaining possession of the puck is detrimental to our system.

2. Cycle the puck more. Getting caught in front of the opposing net will inevitably lead to a shot on net, which is also detrimental to our system.

3. Pass the puck more, not a little more, a lot more. Nothing confuses the opposition more than when a player passes the puck when no normal professional hockey player would.

4. Once again, pass the puck more, especially back passes they are really crafty and show how strategic we are.

5. On the powerplay, ALWAYS maintain the same formation and make the same passes over and over. The goal is to lull the opposition into a stupor.

6. ALWAYS pass the puck to the point for a shot. Forwards are not expected to score with the exception of deflections. Just like back passes, deflections are crafty and strategic.

7. DO NOT under any circumstances go hard to the net. That's Broad Street Bully hockey and we are a finesse team now. Finesse teams pass the puck.

8. DO NOT throw checks. That is also Broad Street Bully mentality and it puts both you and the opposing player at risk of injury.

9. Take penalties often. It throws the opposing team off their 5-on-5 rhythm. It puts the pressure on them to score on their powerplay.

10. When you are moving in one-on-one on a defenseman. ALWAYS try to do that move with the puck through your legs like Giroux did once and got away with. Think finesse, crafty and strategic. Alternatively, throw it in the corner, chase it and cycle, cycle, cycle.

11. Try to keep the puck in our defensive zone to tire out the opposing forwards. If it appears that you are going to clear the puck, make sure to pass or shoot it back in behind our net and cycle. Yes, cycling works here too. Always Recycle!

12. Try to keep offsides to around 50%. This gives our team a chance to rest and change lines. Offsides breaks up the flow of the game, thus killing the opposition's defensive momentum.

13. Allow many shots by the opposition. Our goalies need to get in the game and there is no better way to do that than to see plenty of rubber.

14. Conversely, keep our shot total at a minimum. This keeps their goalie cold and out of the game. It also leaves more time for passing and cycling.

15. And finally, play really hard the last 3 minutes of the game. The change of pace throws off the opposition and it shows the fans that you really care.

This is how I deal with my Philly Phrustration. 

post-41-0-30978900-1446267688_thumb.jpg

So, you are saying do everything right?

My previous post was obviously meant to be in jest. If I was to actually give my opinion on where I think they are struggling, I would say that they have a number of glaring problems.

They are poor at puck support and they do not seem to know where other teammates will be at any given time. It seems they play more on impulse than any type of system. If there is a system, it seems to rely heavily on cycling the puck. Most of our forwards are not built to cycle the puck. I'm sure once Hextall rids this team of its driftwood, some strong wingers will be one of the first things he will be looking for.

They also seem to make too many poor passing decisions. In my opinion, they attempt too many horizontal and backward passes. The puck needs to move forward and they need to be more patient with the puck. Their poor puck support and poor passing decisions make them a disorganized team. If Hakstol has a system, I'm not seeing it. I do think that he has the forwards coming back on defense better and has the defense pinching well on offense. The goaltending has also been pretty good. Beyond that, their play looks very sloppy and disjointed.

So overall,I think that they play a disorganized game that relies too much on dump and chase and strong puck control along the boards. I believe that they have players who could quickly move the puck if they had better puck support. It's hard to be patient and make good puck decisions when your options are limited. Their only advantage over the last few years has been their powerplay, which seems to have become quite predictable. The secondary unit has been better so that's a plus. 

As expected, this in-between stage where we wait for Hextall to exorcise the contract demons is going to be quite painful to watch. I just figured that I would diffuse my frustration with a little humor. That's all. :)

For the Flyers to be successful, they need to (in no particular order):

1. Implement more dump and chase. Remember retaining possession of the puck is detrimental to our system.

2. Cycle the puck more. Getting caught in front of the opposing net will inevitably lead to a shot on net, which is also detrimental to our system.

3. Pass the puck more, not a little more, a lot more. Nothing confuses the opposition more than when a player passes the puck when no normal professional hockey player would.

4. Once again, pass the puck more, especially back passes they are really crafty and show how strategic we are.

5. On the powerplay, ALWAYS maintain the same formation and make the same passes over and over. The goal is to lull the opposition into a stupor.

6. ALWAYS pass the puck to the point for a shot. Forwards are not expected to score with the exception of deflections. Just like back passes, deflections are crafty and strategic.

7. DO NOT under any circumstances go hard to the net. That's Broad Street Bully hockey and we are a finesse team now. Finesse teams pass the puck.

8. DO NOT throw checks. That is also Broad Street Bully mentality and it puts both you and the opposing player at risk of injury.

9. Take penalties often. It throws the opposing team off their 5-on-5 rhythm. It puts the pressure on them to score on their powerplay.

10. When you are moving in one-on-one on a defenseman. ALWAYS try to do that move with the puck through your legs like Giroux did once and got away with. Think finesse, crafty and strategic. Alternatively, throw it in the corner, chase it and cycle, cycle, cycle.

11. Try to keep the puck in our defensive zone to tire out the opposing forwards. If it appears that you are going to clear the puck, make sure to pass or shoot it back in behind our net and cycle. Yes, cycling works here too. Always Recycle!

12. Try to keep offsides to around 50%. This gives our team a chance to rest and change lines. Offsides breaks up the flow of the game, thus killing the opposition's defensive momentum.

13. Allow many shots by the opposition. Our goalies need to get in the game and there is no better way to do that than to see plenty of rubber.

14. Conversely, keep our shot total at a minimum. This keeps their goalie cold and out of the game. It also leaves more time for passing and cycling.

15. And finally, play really hard the last 3 minutes of the game. The change of pace throws off the opposition and it shows the fans that you really care.

This is how I deal with my Philly Phrustration. 

With apologies o Confucius.  Facetious says,"man who writes satire knows more than he reveals."

My previous post was obviously meant to be in jest.

At first while reading this i was like WTF???

I was like have you not been watching them this is exactly what they do and suck at....then i kept reading and figured out where you were going with it. Funny. No sad. I'm so glad i didn't watch last nights game. No sense wasting 2 hours of my life when they don't seem to care and they are putting all the work in.

At first while reading this i was like WTF???

I was like have you not been watching them this is exactly what they do and suck at....then i kept reading and figured out where you were going with it. Funny. No sad. I'm so glad i didn't watch last nights game. No sense wasting 2 hours of my life when they don't seem to care and they are putting all the work in.

It was definitely a tough game to watch. It's not the losing that is hard to watch, it is the ineptness of their play. Constantly hearing "why did you just do that" in my head is frustrating. Anyway, patience is a virtue and betters days are coming. :)

With apologies o Confucius.  Facetious says,"man who writes satire knows more than he reveals."

You are too kind, Sir. I had to poke fun at it, otherwise I would have blown a gasket. :) 

Great post Rat and I esp like this one. "Too little too late" springs to mind watching Flyers' games so far - as it did nearly every game last year.

They also seem to make too many poor passing decisions. In my opinion, they attempt too many horizontal and backward passes. The puck needs to move forward and they need to be more patient with the puck. 

I have noticed this as well(well, we probably all have). But, their passing has been off a lot. They also, too often, look to pass in situations where it's obviously better to shoot. For instance, how many times have we seen an odd man rush and the puck carrier is allowed to waltz into the top of the slot with very little between him and the net... what does our Flyer do? passes off to the far edge of either circles for the player with the extremely low-percentage shot. 

Interestingly, our D men prefer to shoot right into the opposing forward's pads creating odd man rushes the other way. I think they need to practice doing the exact opposite. ;)

But, their passing has been off a lot.

I'm not sure what you mean by off their aim has been ok. But their problem that i've seen is no one can receive a pass cleanly and like keep skating.

It's like time they receive it they let it bounce all over the play and they fumble it away and then you watch the other team and it's crisp tape to tape passing. It's like what the f**k is going on guys jeeeeezzz get it together.

That combined with not being to win any puck battles is their biggest problem. It's like they don't want it enough. Then the Dmen aren't clearing the porch letting the opposing forwards just set up screens right in front of the net just pisses me off. The team is softer than baby poo.

Where has all the grit gone? You still have Simmer, White, Gudas and Luke yet this team is just to soft the other skilled guys only want to stick check or not even finish their checks. This team is easy to play against. I mean name ONE thing they do better than the other team that is positive!!!?????

I'm not sure what you mean by off their aim has been ok. But their problem that i've seen is no one can receive a pass cleanly and like keep skating.

It's like time they receive it they let it bounce all over the play and they fumble it away and then you watch the other team and it's crisp tape to tape passing. It's like what the f**k is going on guys jeeeeezzz get it together.

That combined with not being to win any puck battles is their biggest problem. It's like they don't want it enough. Then the Dmen aren't clearing the porch letting the opposing forwards just set up screens right in front of the net just pisses me off. The team is softer than baby poo.

Where has all the grit gone? You still have Simmer, White, Gudas and Luke yet this team is just to soft the other skilled guys only want to stick check or not even finish their checks. This team is easy to play against. I mean name ONE thing they do better than the other team that is positive!!!?????

Once again, I think we're saying the same thing, but in different ways. Or, in my case... vague ways. ;) Yah, I just mean that their passing is off in the very general sense that there's no flow. Just as you said, maybe the pass isn't off, but it's not received well. This team, just very often feel completely out of sync when it's trying to produce some offense. 

I dunno what the first line is doing, but it sure is skating around a lot and making some passes here and there, but more often than not(I don't have any stats on this, but it sure seems that way)... not even getting any shots on net!

I don't think, as a group, we've talked about just how bad Matt Read has been this year either. Sure, there are too many guys that we could key on here so far that aren't pulling their weight. But Fatt Read... holy crap has he been bad. He's just NOT skating. He's using his stick like a bug's bunny stage left and hooking the crap outta guys instead of skating and overtaking. He just looks lazy out there and I wonder if he's still not 100%. 

Sorry for the Read non-sequitor, but I was just reminded by this convo. 

I don't think, as a group, we've talked about just how bad Matt Read has been this year either.

wow I think Matt Read has been pretty good so far. He's skating well and his D is back where it should be. He's creating some nice seams using his speed and he's led a few attacks up ice. He's only got 2 goals (and 1 A) but in 10 games the Flyers have scored 1 goal FIVE times (one was a win).

Maybe I'm comparing what I see now to last year when he was god-awful every night. Now he looks like the Matt Read of 2 years ago and that's a good thing. He may never become a legit top 6 guy - then again he might. In any event I see 20+ goals from him this year - at least.

wow I think Matt Read has been pretty good so far. He's skating well and his D is back where it should be. He's creating some nice seams using his speed and he's led a few attacks up ice. He's only got 2 goals (and 1 A) but in 10 games the Flyers have scored 1 goal FIVE times (one was a win).

Maybe I'm comparing what I see now to last year when he was god-awful every night. Now he looks like the Matt Read of 2 years ago and that's a good thing. He may never become a legit top 6 guy - then again he might. In any event I see 20+ goals from him this year - at least.

Ok.. I think I was a bit harsh on Read with that assessment. He must have had a bad game the one I keyed on him most of the game. because he was NOT skating. His advanced stats put him in the top 6 of fwd's on our team. He's been average. 

Ok.. I think I was a bit harsh on Read with that assessment.

Yes i think Read has played rather well....the only thing he hasn't done is score. But he has been all over the place. He right now is the least of this team's issues.

Oh and....wait let me preface this comment i am in no way blaming him...but would it be to much to ask in 11 games for Mason to just steal one game??? Just one.

It would go a long way. Sure he isn't the sole reason this team is losing but C'mon it wouldn't hurt for him to stand on his head and get them a win they don't deserve.

That is all please bring on the rants.........

Oh and....wait let me preface this comment i am in no way blaming him...but would it be to much to ask in 11 games for Mason to just steal one game??? Just one.

It would go a long way. Sure he isn't the sole reason this team is losing but C'mon it wouldn't hurt for him to stand on his head and get them a win they don't deserve.

That is all please bring on the rants.........

If I'm Mason... somewhere in there, I'm probably resenting the team in front of me right about now. They've hung him out to dry on too many occasions. It's his job to stop the puck, but it would be nice if the quality of chances against him could be toned down just a bit. That first goal last night, almost in the first minute of the game, is a prime example. 

Archived