LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2015-2016

pilldoc

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the cut down version of Russia-Czech. Kase with poor awareness cost Czech what would have been their first goal - in the crease. Provorov hasn't looked very good, poor awareness on zone entry, passing the puck to nowhere, and a big hold that wasn't called behind his net. BUT I am only seeing about a third of the game, it's entirely possible those were his only questionable plays.

HOLYSHIT!!! stop the presses Labarbera pitched a shutout yesterday for the Phantoms for his 2nd win of the season (faced 35 shots)!!! 3-0!!!!

Macdonald with the GWer then Straka scored his 16th and Mcdud scored off an assist from Hagg!!!

Nice to see the Phantoms won again yesterday 3-1 but WTF has Labarbera started back to back games?? Stolarz is on the bench?? Labarbera finally wins his 2nd game of the year and he gets another start instead of Stolarz?? WTF is up with Gordon and his goalie situation?

Hextall on Oskar Lindblom

"We really like Oskar and think that he's taken big strides this season. His skating has improved and he is a very smart player, as we saw on the deflection [goal he scored in the Denmark game]. He's always in the right position, he follows the puck well, gets the shot away and has good ice vision. He's a talent we really have expectations for."

Do you see him as a top-six winger?

"I believe he has a chance. He needs to get stronger and improve small things but the foundation of his game is in place that he can become a top-six player; definitely a top-nice player. I believe has enough [potential] in him to say he has a chance for the top six." 

When do you think he can come to North America?

"I don't really know. We'll talk to him when the season is over. We also want Oskar to be comfortable but it should be fine regardless of whether he comes over next season or the season after that."

@AJgoal

thanks for the post on the Phantoms.  Found this interesting:

First Star - Defenseman Andrew MacDonald - Grade A
2015-16 Season Stats: 31GP, 5G-16A, +5, 24 PIM
December Stats: 11GP, 4G-7A, -1, 10 PIM

MacDonald has been far and away the Phantoms' best blue liner this past month. He's playing in all situations and eating up big minutes in the AHL. Four of his five goals on the season have come in his last eight games. Bad contract aside, MacDonald simply doesn't belong in the AHL.

He should be their best defenseman of course but it comes as somewhat of a relief to hear (by one account) that he is in fact their best.

9 hours ago, terp said:

@AJgoal

thanks for the post on the Phantoms.  Found this interesting:

First Star - Defenseman Andrew MacDonald - Grade A
2015-16 Season Stats: 31GP, 5G-16A, +5, 24 PIM
December Stats: 11GP, 4G-7A, -1, 10 PIM

MacDonald has been far and away the Phantoms' best blue liner this past month. He's playing in all situations and eating up big minutes in the AHL. Four of his five goals on the season have come in his last eight games. Bad contract aside, MacDonald simply doesn't belong in the AHL.

He should be their best defenseman of course but it comes as somewhat of a relief to hear (by one account) that he is in fact their best.

MacDonald is a tweener in the truest sense of the word. He's too good to be in the AHL, but not good enough to be an NHL regular. His play has digressed at the NHL level over the past three seasons and at $5 million a pop, the only way the Flyers unload the contract is that they eat a part of the salary and it's going to have to be in the $2 to $3 million range per year that's left.

56 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

MacDonald is a tweener in the truest sense of the word. He's too good to be in the AHL, but not good enough to be an NHL regular. His play has digressed at the NHL level over the past three seasons and at $5 million a pop, the only way the Flyers unload the contract is that they eat a part of the salary and it's going to have to be in the $2 to $3 million range per year that's left.

The Flyers can't eat more than 50% ($2.5M) I believe. At that point, you may as well just buy him out.

I can't find a buyout calculator form McDud because he's not on the NHL roster. Anyone? I've seen it posted before.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

The Flyers can't eat more than 50% ($2.5M) I believe. At that point, you may as well just buy him out.

I can't find a buyout calculator form McDud because he's not on the NHL roster. Anyone? I've seen it posted before.

http://capfriendly.com/?p=buyout-calculator

$1,770,833 Cap hit until 23-24

25 minutes ago, brelic said:

Thanks!

So a buyout is a much better option than retaining 50% salary/cap hit.

Effin' Homer.

Depends how you look at it. More dead cap space at a shorter length if you trade him and retain, compared to less dead cap space but at double the amount of years...

Yeah, not a fan of 1.7 million in dead cap for four years after you'd be done with MacDonald's contract - either retain him, or trade him and eat half his hit. It's also why I kind of believe the Flyers won't buy out Umberger, and may not buy out VLC this offseason, if at all. Why not hang onto Umberger and be free of his contract completely next offseason? There are no big raises due that aren't accounted for, and the FA pickings are pretty slim.

You might actually see MacDonald back as the 5/6/7 in a couple of years if the kids progress as hoped and start filling in the top roles on the defense.

Just got home from watching the phantoms play here in Maine which was my son's first hockey game (he's 3). What a night.....

So we're sitting there watching the game and there is this tall dude up behind us against the back wall and I know I know him and I know he is a recent NHL player.....scouting for the Pirates. I'll be damned if it wasn't Hal Gill and he's a HELL of a guy. Then the GM of the Pirates comes over and hands my kid a team signed hat!!.... Could not have asked for a better "1st game experience" for me and the boy. LOVE this sport and the stand up men (and women) who play it! Hall Gill was a hoot!

My observations. Morin is a physical presence for SURE! He could be very fun to watch in the O&B some day but needs to fill out a little (appeared lanky?) and not take bad penalties. Starka got hurt pretty good...I would say broken foot or BAD bruise/contusion/fracture from blocking a shot. Phantoms outplayed the pirates bad (score should have been 6-1) but missed a TON of opportunities and wide open nets....Gagne appears to be grinding and trying to stay relevant. I wonder why Tyler Leir (spelling?) doesn't get the call more. Seemed like he had good spreed and puck control....created a ton of chances for the Phantoms.

Anyway, GREAT night! Re-kindled my love for this sport.....

Sounds good my only gripe and i know it might be insignificant but WTF has Larbarbera played in 3 straight games and Stolarz ride the pine???

I don't get it the kid was playing well and all of a sudden peckerhead is healthy and you put the kid who carried you on the damn bench....the only guy right now who is even close to having an upside in net and needs to develop  (not including all the kids the just drafted) that makes zero sense by Gordon.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 2:29 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Nice to see the Phantoms won again yesterday 3-1 but WTF has Labarbera started back to back games?? Stolarz is on the bench?? Labarbera finally wins his 2nd game of the year and he gets another start instead of Stolarz?? WTF is up with Gordon and his goalie situation?

Murray did the same thing last year.  They don't seem to have much confidence in playing Stolarz.  Isn't the point of the AHL to develop players?  Down the stretch last season, when they were already eliminated from the playoffs, they kept Zepp in there.  Made no sense.  They are still in the running for the playoffs this year but even the most optimistic of Phantoms' management has to know they won't be going far.  Give the kids a chance.

On a totally unrelated note:  we just got back from vacation down in San Antonio where I was lucky enough to get the wife to go with me to two San Antonio Rampage games....The Avalanche's farm team is one of the most unexciting teams in the AHL but their facility, the AT&T Center, is simply amazing.  It's primarily the home of the NBA's Spurs and almost all the merchandise in their beautiful store is basketball junk, but the rest of the arena is as nice, if not better, than the Wells Fargo or Prudential Centers. 

Fantastic sight lines from all of the unblocked-off seats, huge bathrooms, varied food vendors (including Whattaburger!!!), a section down in the corner with leather recliners, another section at center ice with waiter service and no VIP/TV commentator booth between the benches.  I love the latter because the ice isn't distorted for those sitting behind the players' benches and the players are much closer and can thus interact more frequently.  I'd love to see that at PPL Center - Nick Cousins and Aaron Palushaj would have a field day jawing with the other team's bench.  I noticed as many fans wearing jerseys of out of town teams as Rampage ones.  TV screens everywhere.  Their ice girls were Texas hot - caliente in my book.

It was hilarious hearing the Texas drawls behind us as the Rampage lost both games.  They say Philly fans are whiners?  Both nights the folks I sat near were bitchin' all night.  They really had it in for Nikita Zadorov - the only Rampage player I know anything about.  During breaks in the action the video presentation didn't waste as much time focusing on people in the stands as they tend to do in Allentown.  They actually replayed goals and big hits!!!  The between period promotions were also more exciting.  Fans seemed to be more into fighting than the actual game.  Maybe it's the whole Mexican-American obsession with pro wrestling.  The crowd went wild during a video commercial for that Mexican wrestling where they wear the facemasks.  A smart promoter would bring in a Jay Rosehill or Zac Rinaldo into their lineup to get the crowd more stirred up.

Oh yeah, and Friday night is $1.00 beer night.  At the Sunday afternoon game we each got a hot dog, soda and chips included in the ticket price.  $5.00 parking and tickets purchased at the arena were only $29.00 each for seats in the 2nd row behind the visiting Texas Stars' bench.

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sounds good my only gripe and i know it might be insignificant but WTF has Larbarbera played in 3 straight games and Stolarz ride the pine???

I don't get it the kid was playing well and all of a sudden peckerhead is healthy and you put the kid who carried you on the damn bench....the only guy right now who is even close to having an upside in net and needs to develop  (not including all the kids the just drafted) that makes zero sense by Gordon.

Labarbara hasn't played 3 straight.  They have been alternating starts back to 12/16 and before that Stolarz started 6 straight.  I just think they don't want to burn Stolarz out because he did play for so many straight games while Labarbara was hurt. 

Archived