It's Official

activestick

I suppose his +/- represents a certain luck factor for him. Or... I could be wrong. 

I remember one B Schenn rush that turned into an odd man rush goal against because MDV shot the puck right into the forwards shin pads and it was off to the races...that sort of thing seems to happen to our guys... a lot.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How so? Why does he have to compromise his long term vision just 15 games into a season with his coach? He's been active over the past year since he took over, slowly reshaping the roster, getting rid of the deadweight he can, and making smart draft picks.

It's a multi-year project. It sucks as a fan. He's been dealt a number of cards, and building the team he wants will take time.

Well, to jump in where I was referenced:

I think this coming off-season is a pretty big one for Hextall. He has to bite the bullet and buy out VLC and jettison Umburglar either for a skate sharpener or another buyout. That would open up around $5M off the top.

He has major decisions regarding Gagner & The Schenn Boys - as well as minor ones about Medvedev, Raffl and White. And the possibility of dealing Streit and/or Schultz.

This could be a Very Different roster next season and there could actually be the resources to make those changes be effective.

And that doesn't involve "compromising his long term vision" - it involves implementing that long term vision.

As for the players if they're going to continually talk about how they "played well" in losses and are "No Doubt™" a playoff team then, yes, they better put up or shut up.

Dear God let it be so.

If it isn't then when will this "long term vision" start to take shape?

A restructuring of a roster begins with a single step... Or something...

Ridding the team of the Lecavalier Mess will be a great start, but Hextall could find himself with $12M in cap space without much trouble (Umburglar, VLC buyouts; BSchenn taking Gagner's salary; LSchenn or Medvedev not resigned).

And could really "tear down" with two players who simply can't be a part of a "long term vision" - 37-year-old Mark Streit and 33-year-old Nick Schultz.

Again, implementing a long term vision rather than "compromising" it.

And could really "tear down" with two players who simply can't be a part of a "long term vision" - 37-year-old Mark Streit and 33-year-old Nick Schultz.

from your fingers to Hextall's brain...this would be great.

both those guys could be useful to a team looking to add depth for a playoff run...they could net an okay return.

If it isn't then when will this "long term vision" start to take shape?

A restructuring of a roster begins with a single step... Or something...

Ridding the team of the Lecavalier Mess will be a great start, but Hextall could find himself with $12M in cap space without much trouble (Umburglar, VLC buyouts; BSchenn taking Gagner's salary; LSchenn or Medvedev not resigned).

Again, implementing a long term vision rather than "compromising" it.

Well it will start with the 1st trade i believe...and i feel it will be Streit maybe 1st out the door...then Luke could be next.

Vinny and RJ could be bought out but RJ may be kept. Vinny would represent dead cap space with his buy out but i think that would be better than his 4.5 deadweight.

And i'm not good with those buy out numbers what would that look like? Anyone or Rad?

And Schultz if he isn't traded at worst could be Mcdudded and you could recoup 925K of his salary.

Gagner also could be gone at the deadline and like you said his money given to Brayden if he too ain't traded. Can't move too many who will play next year?

So next year something like this...

Michael Raffl - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek

Matt Read - Sean Couturier - Wayne Simmonds

RJ Umberger - Scott Laughton - Brayden Schenn

Chris VandeVelde - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Ryan White

Michael Del Zotto -????

MDV - Mark Alt

Robert Hagg - Radko Gudas

Steve Mason

Michal Neuvirth

Vinny and RJ could be bought out but RJ may be kept. Vinny would represent dead cap space with his buy out but i think that would be better than his 4.5 deadweight.

And i'm not good with those buy out numbers what would that look like? Anyone or Rad?

Vinny's is $2.9M next year, $2.4M in 17-18 and $900K for 18-19 and 19-20.

Umburglar would be $1.6M next year and $1.5M in 17-18.

Essentially you recoup one of their contracts for next season - about $4.5M by buying both out with a $3.9M hit in 17-18 (saving $600K over VLC).

So next year something like this...

Michael Raffl - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek
Matt Read - Sean Couturier - Wayne Simmonds
RJ Umberger - Scott Laughton - Brayden Schenn
Chris VandeVelde - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Ryan White

Michael Del Zotto -????
MDV - Mark Alt
Robert Hagg - Radko Gudas

Steve Mason
Michal Neuvirth

If Raffl and Read are still slotted in the top six, there ain't much changing in how this team scores (or doesn't)...

I can see them bringing up a young propsect for one of the D spots, but not two. I'd think Hextall would go after a competent, relatively young "long term plan" type of defenseman either as FA or trade.

Calgary's Kris Russel could be available, for example. :thumbsu:

Vinny's is $2.9M next year, $2.4M in 17-18 and $900K for 18-19 and 19-20.

Umburglar would be $1.6M next year and $1.5M in 17-18.

Essentially you recoup one of their contracts for next season - about $4.5M by buying both out with a $3.9M hit in 17-18 (saving $600K over VLC).

To me they might as well go ahead and do it and gain two roster spots. Use some of that money to possibly find a true LW for the forward lines maybe G and Jake but if for anything for one of the lines. I'm tired of seeing all these RWer forced into a spot that they aren't familiar with. Just  sign a LW.

Brayden is dead last on the team in Corsi and Fenwick. I like the offense he's bringing this year, but he's essentially a GA liability out there.

I don't know who Corwick and Fensi are but BSchenn has played well in the games I've seen. He's skating like he finally "gets it," working hard to win his shifts. His -4 is not really a knock on him imo. All the time getting yanked around the lineup is paying off - he looks good wherever he plays.

I'll stick with the eye test. BSchenn is winning shifts and he's got the goals, the points to show for it.

If Raffl and Read are still slotted in the top six, there ain't much changing in how this team scores (or doesn't)...

I'd like to see them sign a LW and then you could slot Raffl in RJ's spot on the 3rd line.

And Hagg and Alt played a lot of games in the AHL together so if they start out at the start of the season they'd be ok on the bottom pair were i meant to put them...

Michael Del Zotto -????
MDV - Radko Gudas
Robert Hagg - Mark Alt

Then go sign a free agent defenseman to play with MDZ.

I don't know who Corwick and Fensi are but BSchenn has played well in the games I've seen. He's skating like he finally "gets it," working hard to win his shifts. His -4 is not really a knock on him imo. All the time getting yanked around the lineup is paying off - he looks good wherever he plays.

I'll stick with the eye test. BSchenn is winning shifts and he's got the goals, the points to show for it.

Well, those 2 are guys who figured out that if the other team gets a lot of shots against you and you don't get as many shots against them... then you're probably doing something wrong. In Schenn's case... he's doing something wrong(according to them) more than anyone else on the team. 

In fact, he's doing something wrong more than only about 50 other players in the league. All of which is to say... if other teams are paying attention to advanced stats(and you'd better believe they are), BSchenn is NOT a valuable commodity they'd like to trade for. 

seriously - you seem to understand them Bak - do I have it right? Is it the number of Shots For vs Shots Against?

i know i know, google. i'm only interested if somebody explains it to me; i don't wanna do homework to follow hockey! lol.

"As described by arcticicehockey.com, a Corsi Number is “the shot differential while a player was on the ice. This includes not just goals and shots on goal, but also shots that miss the net, and in some formulations, blocked shots. In other words, it’s the differential in the total number of shots directed at the net.”"

It was named after Buffalo's goaltending coach, but the concept originated with former Sabre GM Darcy Regier. For that reason alone, I find it suspect. :thumbsu:

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2013/12/4/5167404/nhl-stats-made-simple-part-1-corsi-fenwick

Here’s a simple explanation of how each measurement works:

Corsi  = shots on goal + missed shots + blocked shots

Fenwick = shots on goal + missed shots

Thanks Rad - so basically I've got it right if I add blocked shots and missed shots.

and this is supposed to tell us what? That each skater is responsible to some degree for the number of shots generated by his team and the opposition? Okay...not exactly rocket science and not particularly informative imho.

Then again nobody ever said playing hockey was an intellectual pursuit!

Corsi is “the shot differential while a player was on the ice. This includes not just goals and shots on goal, but also shots that miss the net, and in some formulations, blocked shots. In other words, it’s the differential in the total number of shots directed at the net.”

So: would a point shot that is 5 feet wide, but deliberately so to get a bounce out the other side, count? I presume so, but you never know. Recording it as a meaningful event requires the person recording it to take note of the intent. 

I have resisted learning more about these so-called advanced stats, mostly out of laziness, but I now know why: they're not that helpful as far as judging individual player performance.

The other night in the Jets game against Minny, Paul Postma had "very good" Fenwick and Corsi numbers, but he was also -2 and was worked over silly by Vanek on one goal in particular. And he is back in the press box for tonight's game. 

Fenwick, Corsi, etc. are additional means of evaluating players. They give some ancillary information and can be used in conjunction with "less advanced" stats like goals, points, +/- to determine a player's overall value.

That said, I find both of them to be better team indicators than individual players. You can have a guy who is out on the ice more often against the fourth line, for example, and not face as many shots. If you put him out there against the Top Six he gets roasted (see @Podein25 above).

But if your team is getting outshot 50-25 on a consistent basis (for example) that's usually not going to lead to much success.

"As described by arcticicehockey.com, a Corsi Number is “the shot differential while a player was on the ice. This includes not just goals and shots on goal, but also shots that miss the net, and in some formulations, blocked shots. In other words, it’s the differential in the total number of shots directed at the net.”"

It was named after Buffalo's goaltending coach, but the concept originated with former Sabre GM Darcy Regier. For that reason alone, I find it suspect. :thumbsu:

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2013/12/4/5167404/nhl-stats-made-simple-part-1-corsi-fenwick

Here’s a simple explanation of how each measurement works:

Corsi  = shots on goal + missed shots + blocked shots

Fenwick = shots on goal + missed shots

Why doesn't someone just do:

WordsOfWisdom = shots on goal

Missed shots and blocked shots are of no interest to me.  :)

Thanks Rad - so basically I've got it right if I add blocked shots and missed shots.

and this is supposed to tell us what? That each skater is responsible to some degree for the number of shots generated by his team and the opposition? Okay...not exactly rocket science and not particularly informative imho.

Then again nobody ever said playing hockey was an intellectual pursuit!

I agree with you for the most part.  I guess the other thing it implies is time spent in each end, comparatively.   So, if I'm understanding correctly, aside from the straight numbers, if Schenn has the worst corsi on the team it indicates they spend the most time in their own zone when he is on the ice.    Now, maybe that's by design but I suspect not.    It would be interesting to know where his shifts start out...where the majority of the faceoffs are at the start of his shift (still not rocket science since many times the changes of personnel are on the fly).   It's not beat all, end all, for me.  But it does paint a picture that when Schenn is on the ice it seems to tilt back toward the Flyer end.

Archived