Radko Gudas - 3 Game Suspension

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm intentionally hitting someone with my body, I want to hurt them each and every time.

so if you're playing a contact sport, each and every time you hit someone you want them to be injured ? 

Injured in this context meaning not able to return to playing the game for the game/week/month/season.

Not, "I want that guy to think twice before contesting the puck/ball"  you want to injure them ?

i can understand in contact sports wanting the opponent to physically pay a price to succeed, but i can't understand wanting to injure someone every time there is contact.

was it lonely as a kid after everyone you played with was injured and couldn't play anymore ? 

"sorry NRH, Timmy can't shoot hoops until spring since you dislocated his elbow last week "

Not a bad idea, actually.  Most of his salary is already against the cap and he'll have to be waived to send him back down.  Maybe someone will pluck him off waivers.

You are a true fan of the tank for draft picks, eh? MacDud brings NOTHING to the ice. I use the MacDud so as not to confuse him with the other MacDonald who is playing pretty well. We all hope that he would be plucked off of waivers but even in my wildest dreams, no gm other than our previous one is that ignorant....

It was a stupid hit and not needed.  3 games is fair.  

Yes, but, Rinaldo hit on Couturier/Chiasson hit on Laughton were both far more egregious and dangerous than Gudas' hit on a flamboyant Zibenijad. The Schultz hit was just a hard check that resulted in him getting his bell rung IMO. CONSISTENCY.....NOT the specialty of the Department Of Player Etiquette and Safety. OR just plain DOPES for short............

I'm good with the three games. Well deserved. I just wish they'd get a little more consistent.

This is the thing. I don't necessarily have a problem with 3 games for that hit. However, I DO have a problem with it, based on their previous rulings this year. They are nothing if not inconsistent and I feel like this is inexcusable. There should be a way to make these rulings consistent.. instead of.. oh Canadian team, punish the Flyer.  

I just wish they'd get a little more consistent.

This is key for me because I agree.  To suspend a guy for 3 games when that guy is on a team that has had at least 3 players lose playing time because of dangerous hits that caused concussions...  you gotta own up to that more.

Yeah, Gudas' hit was bad and should be punished, but they have to start doing something about our guys getting hurt too.  

Boatmen's all happy and proud that fighting is down league wide, but how you can be happy fighting is down while this kind of dangerous hit that actually directly sends guys to the hospital and ruins careers continues to be prevalent without any recourse is just beyond me. 

How to confront it is very complicated.  I admit that.  I don't want a powder puff no contact league. But I do think there's a certain respect level missing and there has been for some time.  McIlrath didn't have to bury Schultz like that.  I still think it was a dirty hit just like I think Rinaldo's on Coots was dirty, but I admit both were borderline according to the rules.

What isn't borderline is the fact that both players could have taken down their men with decent hits that simply didn't risk their heads as much.  They wouldn't have been as punishing and the crowd wouldn't have gotten as riled up and they might not have made the highlight reels, but the play would have been equally broken up in both cases and Schultz and Coots might not have lost games in the process and when it comes to concussions, we now know that every one counts in the long run.  

Fixing it is complicated.  I don't deny it.  Expressing some desire to make that fix is not at all complicated.  Right now it's just coming across as "Screw you Flyers and Flyer fans.  We hate you."

Yes, but, Rinaldo hit on Couturier/Chiasson hit on Laughton were both far more egregious and dangerous than Gudas' hit on a flamboyant Zibenijad.

I don't necessarily agree with this.  I think the Coots and Schultz hits should have resulted in suspensions, but I don't think they were worse than the Gudas hit.    Radko's hit would have been totally legal and crushing and effective in the play AND totally clean if he'd just kept his elbow down.  Zibenijad would probably have been jolted and leveled, but ultimately fine.  Bringing the elbow up and making direct contact with his face as the hit "exploded"  is really pretty dangerous.   All three hits are bad and should have been suspended.  The fact that the earlier two weren't really starts to smack of bias. I agree with that.  and THAT's the real problem.  

Not, "I want that guy to think twice before contesting the puck/ball"  you want to injure them ?

This is the key.  You don't have to ruin someone's career to make them think twice about the fact that you're coming.  You can bruise 'em, you can screw up the play, you can jolt them...  there's a line between that and literally trying to kill them every time.

It's disrespectful and unnecessary and frankly (call me pollyanna) unsporting.  

I want to beat the other team and if bumping them hard helps me beat them great.  But injuring all of them isn't beating the other team.  It's just being a dick. 

This is key for me because I agree.  To suspend a guy for 3 games when that guy is on a team that has had at least 3 players lose playing time because of dangerous hits that caused concussions...  you gotta own up to that more.

Yeah, Gudas' hit was bad and should be punished, but they have to start doing something about our guys getting hurt too.  

Boatmen's all happy and proud that fighting is down league wide, but how you can be happy fighting is down while this kind of dangerous hit that actually directly sends guys to the hospital and ruins careers continues to be prevalent without any recourse is just beyond me. 

How to confront it is very complicated.  I admit that.  I don't want a powder puff no contact league. But I do think there's a certain respect level missing and there has been for some time.  McIlrath didn't have to bury Schultz like that.  I still think it was a dirty hit just like I think Rinaldo's on Coots was dirty, but I admit both were borderline according to the rules.

What isn't borderline is the fact that both players could have taken down their men with decent hits that simply didn't risk their heads as much.  They wouldn't have been as punishing and the crowd wouldn't have gotten as riled up and they might not have made the highlight reels, but the play would have been equally broken up in both cases and Schultz and Coots might not have lost games in the process and when it comes to concussions, we now know that every one counts in the long run.  

Fixing it is complicated.  I don't deny it.  Expressing some desire to make that fix is not at all complicated.  Right now it's just coming across as "Screw you Flyers and Flyer fans.  We hate you."

great post....  

I would say that hit on Schultz was textbook clean honestly.... great hit.

great post....  

I would say that hit on Schultz was textbook clean honestly.... great hit.

It was borderline legal and totally at the discretion of the ref / league.

Could be classified as a charge (anything technically could) because of the blind side nature of it.  (Can you see the numbers? etc). 

But my larger point is that there's "technically legal" and "unnecessarily dangerous".  He didn't have to hit him that hard and hitting that hard was just a dick move.  The only purpose of it is to take Schultz out of the game for good and in the process risk his health and risk his future both as a player and as a person afterward (once you realize what happens to these guys with concussions later in life).  How do you keep the game fun while cutting back on the "unnecessarily dangerous" hits like that?

Maybe it's educating all the players as to the consequences of these hits.  Primeu, Lindros and Pronger could give seminars.  The Concussed Former Captains club.  about how much it sucks not being able to play with your kids because your head got screwed up by some jack ass wanting to take down a superstar.  (or whatever the hell happened to pronger... still not sure I buy the eye ball thing.

Pollyanna,

I agree.

~ruxpin

Fair enough.  Just let me know what I should refer to you as.

And let me qualify that if the league wouldn't demonize a team or players for policing this **** on their own and getting even with someone for potentially permanently injuring their teammate I'd be more sympathetic to it.

Right now the league will only punish the player who retaliates and attempts to convey that "Hey, it's not okay to eff up my team mate".  

You knock my guy out with a concussion, I cross check you in the teeth so you can't play.  

Give a 5 minute major and let it be done at that, but I think suspensions or misconducts for retaliations need to be abolished if the league won't do anything to curb concussion causing hits.  

Could be classified as a charge (anything technically could) because of the blind side nature of it.  (Can you see the numbers? etc). 

But my larger point is that there's "technically legal" and "unnecessarily dangerous".  He didn't have to hit him that hard and hitting that hard was just a dick move.  The only purpose of it is to take Schultz out of the game for good and in the process risk his health and risk his future both as a player and as a person afterward (once you realize what happens to these guys with concussions later in life).  How do you keep the game fun while cutting back on the "unnecessarily dangerous" hits like that?

Maybe it's educating all the players as to the consequences of these hits.  Primeu, Lindros and Pronger could give seminars.  The Concussed Former Captains club.  about how much it sucks not being able to play with your kids because your head got screwed up by some jack ass wanting to take down a superstar.  (or whatever the hell happened to pronger... still not sure I buy the eye ball thing.

anything to get Schultz out of the lineup is okay w/ me! :hocky:

Didn't look all the way back on this thread to see if someone else had already posted this, but here is the league's explanation of the suspension via video.

Also, further down the article, Gudas' reaction to the suspension.

Sounds to me like he is just taking his medicine and moving on.

And while some may find his statement "cold and callous", I think it sounds rather genuine for the style he plays, rather than have him come up with some canned, made up teary eyed apology for his 'evil doing'.

Not condoning his hit in any way, mind you, but just saying, he neither tried to play it off like HE was being persecuted, nor did he go the route of stomach sickening overly apologetic that you often here from some players.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/02/radko-gudas-addresses-his-three-game-suspension/?utm_network=twitter&utm_post=4679883&utm_source=TW%20%40NHLonNBCSports&utm_tags=srm[hockey%2Carticle]

Also, for FWIW, after looking several times at that video, it appears to me that Gudas was going towards Zibinajad from the low prone position and had some difficulty leveling himself off, but decided on going through with the check anyways so as not to allow a clean SOG by Zibinajad.

The position he started from combined with what looked like a fraction of a second of loss of balance, may have caused him to deliver the check in a way he initially did not intend... I.E. leading with the extended arm instead of the shoulder or body.

Again, not making excuses for Gudas. Bottom line is, he DID use an extended arm/elbow and DID hit the head, thereby making his check illegal and suspension worthy (putting aside other recent hits from other players aside and just treating this one as its own entity).

Perhaps he should have let up if he really did lose his balance for a fraction of a second.

But he didn't...he followed through, and well, we all know the end result.

He will sit for 3 games, and hopefully just file away what went wrong with his play.....and hopefully, not make this a regular occurrence.

I also hope for his sake, and the integrity of the league as a whole, that he doesn't start getting 'rep' calls on him on CLEAN hits....because if Gudas is gonna Rad-KO someone, he is gonna do so with authority......like many said, the league NEEDS to be consistent.

Personally I liked Shanny walking folks through a little more than the HAL-like dude in the NHL film but all things in, Radko looked like he lunged/charged into his opponent.  Head injuries are going to attract more and more attention...."Concussion" is coming out soon and is likely to get even more attention.  This is sad but true.

So..all parties live and learn.  Hopefully.

Howie

3 games for a first time offender......

breaks down to 1 game for the hit and two games for the JERSEY....

Now there's a history 5 and 10 for each after ...

anyone else in the league would have gotten a fine or a warning ...

I M O .

3 games for a first time offender......

breaks down to 1 game for the hit and two games for the JERSEY....

Now there's a history 5 and 10 for each after ...

anyone else in the league would have gotten a fine or a warning ...

I M O .

I KNOW!  SUCH CRAP!  IF IT WERE, LIKE, A COLORADO PLAYER, HE PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN ANYTHING!!  I MEAN, IF TYSON BARRIE HIT SOMEONE THE SAME WAY, OR EVEN NOT AS BAD, HE PROBABLY WOULDN'T EVEN GET A GAME!!1111!1!!1

...oh, wait.

did someone say something about confirmation bias in another thread?  interesting.

What other similar suspensions are you talking about ??. 

there are none

well, tyson barrie, for starts.  little hop into a shoulder to the head by a guy with no previous suspensions (and averaging less than 30 PIMs/season) makes a nice companion to gudas' deliberate elbow to the head.  both 3 games, too.  

then we have landeskog and stone and demers and nesterov, so far this season.  dubinsky, too, but that was on crosby so that lands in a whole other world of victim-ness.

i'm gonna go ahead and guess you have reasons that none of those are comparable to gudas, and they totally deserved what they got, should probably have gotten more.  because:  reasons.

it's ok.  every team has homers that like to wail and gnash their teeth at how put upon their team is by a league that hates them specifically and singularly, and evidence to the contrary never applies.  because, again:  reasons.  super valid and incredibly minute reasons.

Archived