Streit Back Skating

radoran

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Multiple reports have Mark Streit back on the ice skating with the team. This is good news. Here's hoping he can come back to his previous level of play.

It's good news if Ghost stays up and they waive Manning or Schultz to get him back in the lineup. I'm afraid if you send Ghost back down you could hurt his confidence and put out the spark he has provided. Just my 2 cents.

Multiple reports have Mark Streit back on the ice skating with the team. This is good news. Here's hoping he can come back to his previous level of play.

That's a nice positive thing to say. :D  Has anyone looked at how many have to leave the roster in order to cap-wise fit him in? How long does Schenn have to be out to have his salary off the books? Has someone crosschecked VLC in practice hard enough to move him to LTIR? Inquiring minds want to know.....

Gostisbehere's play has made it impossible for them to send him down without a full scale mutiny occuring. The Flyers are going to have to make some expensive cuts to keep this team heading the right direction.

That's a nice positive thing to say. :D  Has anyone looked at how many have to leave the roster in order to cap-wise fit him in? How long does Schenn have to be out to have his salary off the books? Has someone crosschecked VLC in practice hard enough to move him to LTIR? Inquiring minds want to know.....

In order to activate Streit, they have to move one person to the minors not named Manning, Bellemare, White, or Vandevelde. I believe it will be Ghost until they move either Streit or Medvedev, just because I don't believe they want to dress all four of Ghost, Medvedev, MDZ, and Streit at the same time, yet none really deserve to be scratched, either (assuming Streit is a full go - otherwise the exercise is moot anyway). Meltzer keeps saying Laughton, and I guess I could see that, too, but then Vinny is your first man up should someone go down in pre-games.

Laughton is waiver-exempt, so that's a good point.

Apparently so is Medvedev?

Yeah, I think it's only for one year, as he was over 25 when he signed his first contract. I'm not sure if his pro status in the KHL changes that in any way.

Yeah, I think it's only for one year, as he was over 25 when he signed his first contract. I'm not sure if his pro status in the KHL changes that in any way.

How does Gagner's impending return work out? Is he still "on the cap" at this point (being IR not LTIR)?

Yes, Gagner's still on the cap.

For simplicity of thought: Nothing has changed on the Flyers with regards to the cap since opening day except for Streit going on LTIR and Ghost coming up. Therefore, in order to bring Streit back, you simply have to clear the equivalent of Ghost's salary off the books (actually a bit less, I believe they were 60k or so under, and they were banking a pro-rated portion of that on a daily basis, but that's immaterial here). That's it. It's not like they traded for a 3 million dollar defenseman to fill the gap and are now having to find that 3 million dollars somewhere. They just need to waive someone, almost literally anyone, on the squad down to the AHL and they'll be in compliance.

Greetings:

I wonder if Gagner might get waived.  If he is claimed, the Flyers probably won't be shedding many tears. In the guy's defense, he hasn't really had time to prove worth but my gut says he is history here anyhow.

Howie

Greetings:

I wonder if Gagner might get waived.  If he is claimed, the Flyers probably won't be shedding many tears. In the guy's defense, he hasn't really had time to prove worth but my gut says he is history here anyhow.

Howie

The only fly in that ointment is not getting anything back for him.

But, in the end, there might not be anything anyway.

I gotta think a team in need at the deadline might cough up a draft pick for him, though.

EDIT: Adding, not sure you can waive an "injured" player.

Gagner was ready to go per Meltzer this morning, and apparently taking Giroux's spot at practice, so I'm sure he could be waived at this point.

But I'm sure you could get something for him at the deadline, especially if you hold back half his salary. It won't affect the Flyers going forward since his deal ends this year anyway.

I'd like to see Gagner get some more ice time actually. He isn't a bad player, and I don't think he's been given enough of a chance yet. That obviously doesn't help much with cap issues though.

Umberger should get waived. See if anyone plucks him off waivers (Hint: No one will.) Beyond him, I could see Laughton being waived as well. I'm not sure what it'll do to his confidence unfortunately, but he just hasn't been producing.

I wonder if Umberger has a longer leash, given that he was not a Homer mistake but rather a Hextall mistake.

It's good news if Ghost stays up and they waive Manning or Schultz to get him back in the lineup. I'm afraid if you send Ghost back down you could hurt his confidence and put out the spark he has provided. Just my 2 cents.

I think the danger is hurting the team more than Ghost. He'll known it's not him. It's them.

Still... next has to know that Ghost is at a point that Sxhultz or Manning have to be risked through waivers. The wild card is Medvedev.

Is Medvedev am offensive spark or can he play Covrrage D?

I just don't see how Hextall can send Ghost down. His philosophy is always to ice the best team he can, and there is no question that Ghost makes this team better. No question. He has absolutely earned a spot, IMO. Add the fact that Giroux will be strongly in his corner and has developed nice chemistry with him, and I think he stays. 

So that means Hextall has to find another way, and it really isn't that hard. There are many options which don't involve trades.

I could see waiving Laughton. He's on pace for 25 points, which really is decent for a 3/4th line tweener, but also not that hard to replace.

EDIT:

Just a few more indications that Ghost has earned a roster spot above others.

Mark Streit: Shayne Gostisbehere 'makes us a better team'

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/mark-streit-shayne-gostisbehere-makes-us-better-team

Ken Hitchcock has high praise for Shayne Gostisbehere

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/ken-hitchcock-has-high-praise-shayne-gostisbehere

Howdy:

I would waive Gagner or Umby before Laughton.  Laughton may be part of the future.  And he is relatively cheap. 

, cheer

This team's forward lines are a blur. It is a sad reality. I view them as semi-disposable parts.  I root for them because they're Flyers.  But overall, I see a lot of changes coming and just get attached.  Ryan White has geist. G and V will be there due to contract.  Everybody else...don't know.  

Howie

But the future isn't now with Laughton. He's been a non-factor for the past month. Sending him down to work on his game, isn't going to hurt him. He doesn't get any ice time (less than 10 minutes) and no special teams time either. He's better off on the Phantoms right now. You can't do that to a 21 year old if you want him to have any kind of future.

I still don't expect him to be anything more than a 4th liner in the NHL anyways 

Don't worry, dude. I just ordered my Gost jersey. Hex won't send him back after that.

Yeah, but™ I kept Mason this season on my FHL team because I figured he was a lock for a good year.

I think we can clearly identify this team's deficiency : its fans.

:ph34r:

I just don't see how Hextall can send Ghost down. His philosophy is always to ice the best team he can, and there is no question that Ghost makes this team better. No question. He has absolutely earned a spot, IMO. Add the fact that Giroux will be strongly in his corner and has developed nice chemistry with him, and I think he stays. 

So that means Hextall has to find another way, and it really isn't that hard. There are many options which don't involve trades.

I could see waiving Laughton. He's on pace for 25 points, which really is decent for a 3/4th line tweener, but also not that hard to replace.

EDIT:

Just a few more indications that Ghost has earned a roster spot above others.

Mark Streit: Shayne Gostisbehere 'makes us a better team'

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/mark-streit-shayne-gostisbehere-makes-us-better-team

Ken Hitchcock has high praise for Shayne Gostisbehere

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/ken-hitchcock-has-high-praise-shayne-gostisbehere

I agree but someone will have to be scratched to add Gagner back to the lineup. And if it's Laughton then yes send him back before you just scratch him. I think he is allowed 80 games before he isn't waiver exempt and he has played 61 so far.

Archived