Penguins trade Rob Scuderi for Trevor Daley

hf101

First trade of NHL players of the 2015-16 season.  Daley fits into the Pens cap as they placed Dupuis on LTIR.

according to generalfanager, the Penguins will retain 1.25M of Scuderi's cap hit this year and next year.

First trade of NHL players of the 2015-16 season.  Daley fits into the Pens cap as they placed Dupuis on LTIR.

according to generalfanager, the Penguins will retain 1.25M of Scuderi's cap hit this year and next year.

But that gives me a little hope now that someone will take Schultz off the Flyers hands after that trade.  :D

I agree...not a particularly exciting trade.

That said, this could simply be a case of getting the most out of guys (both of them), if even for a short time, in new scenarios.

It was well known Chicago wasn't particularly happy with Trevor Daley's defensive work....and his 'career year' offensively while with Dallas looks to be an aberration.

His overall career numbers suggest he is a mediocre to ok at best, offensive defenseman, while not providing much defensively.

I am sure Pitts will be banking on him being 'jarred' by the trade, playing with good offensive talents like Crosby and Malkin (though the forwards on Chicago weren't too shabby either)

On the other side, not sure what Chicago sees in acquiring Scuderi, other than "Hey, we got rid of Trevor Daley and we got a D-man who is at least friendlier to the cap".

I really don't see how Scuderi helps the Chicago D...but if their goal was simply to unload Daley, then I'd say they succeeded.

Daley was an absolute hot mess in Chicago. For whatever reason, he did not click with the Hawks brand of hockey. He only had a few pts, if that and he was brought in to score some pts and help out with the offense from the defensive position. I think the plan was to take some of the scoring heat off Kieth and Seabrooke, but it just never worked out. I dont think Chicago had a real stay at home bruiser, so they were lucky to fill a hole from a guy who never clicked with them.

Daley was an absolute hot mess in Chicago. For whatever reason, he did not click with the Hawks brand of hockey. He only had a few pts, if that and he was brought in to score some pts and help out with the offense from the defensive position. I think the plan was to take some of the scoring heat off Kieth and Seabrooke, but it just never worked out. I dont think Chicago had a real stay at home bruiser, so they were lucky to fill a hole from a guy who never clicked with them.

At 32 yrs old, and brought up his entire career in the free wheeling Dallas style of play, I suspect fitting into a very disciplined, structured, and intelligent defense such as is played in Chicago may have been tough for him.

But you know, as I typed the above and thinking over my first post here, got me to thinking: Pittsburgh has been playing a very tight defensive brand of hockey this year as well...I mean, its the main reason why they have been able to stay in the playoff races despite not scoring particularly well.

Now with the change in head coaching in Pittsburgh, I wonder if they will try to go back to a more open style that fans have been accustomed to seeing with the Penguins.

If so, maybe Trevor Daley really DOES find a bit of that magic he had in his year prior to being traded to Chicago from Dallas.

@Polaris922

I was actually confused as to why the Hawks do this...at least Daley might be of service. Pens eat 1/3 of Scuderis contract...there's the Hawks upside...capspace. About a million. 

So the first trade of the season was basically the Pens maybe getting a serviceable bottom pairing Dman and the Hawks getting a million in capspace. Whatever works for both teams but the salary cap is making it hard to trade players. (yes rad, I know about the owners and gms  ;) )

He didn't click with the Stars Hockey either. He acquired his points leeching off the top Dallas players, not creating the opportunities himself.

It is really a lateral trade of "Meh" players and hard to say who comes out on top.

It was a good trade for both sides. Scuderi looked good for what he was in his first game with the Blackhawks. Once he gets more comfortable in Coach Q's system he'll find his way in a new role with Chicago. He'll play less minutes with the Blackhawks and I think there's more trades to come with the Blackhawks. Daley wanted a change of scenery and he's playing with a team that needs an offensive boost (not saying Daley is gonna be why Crosby turns it around or wins the Hart Trophy with Pittsburgh) but the Pens had the salary space and an aging veteran on the blue line who was not able to play the role they needed anymore.

It was a good trade for both sides. Scuderi looked good for what he was in his first game with the Blackhawks. Once he gets more comfortable in Coach Q's system he'll find his way in a new role with Chicago. He'll play less minutes with the Blackhawks and I think there's more trades to come with the Blackhawks. Daley wanted a change of scenery and he's playing with a team that needs an offensive boost (not saying Daley is gonna be why Crosby turns it around or wins the Hart Trophy with Pittsburgh) but the Pens had the salary space and an aging veteran on the blue line who was not able to play the role they needed anymore.

First off, welcome to the forums...

Second...change of scenery?

Really? You mean, he went from playing with an never-ran in Dallas the year before (not now though...the Stars look offensively awesome and are top point team obviously) to playing with the Stanley Cup champs and he needed a change of scenery??

LOL....ok, ok...may be that was the case. Only HE really knows what's in his head....but still, color me doubtful about that.

I will still maintain that the Hawks' layered defensive structure and accountability for it for each player was a bit much for Daley to absorb as quick as he needed to.

If he finds his game in Pittsburgh, then maybe there IS something to this 'change of scenery' bit....or maybe the Penguins will play a simpler style of defense that will seem more familiar to him...such as what he was used to in Dallas.

Still though, many are making Daley to be this 'offensive guy who needs to find his game again', when really, outside of his one real good season with the Stars, he had been a pretty mediocre all around D-man before that.

I just think this is who he really is at age 32.

Maybe Pitts can coax a bit more out of him, maybe not.

And if you are the Pens, and you were definitely NOT thrilled with Scuderi's play, taking a chance like this is worth it.

I just don't expect a ton from Daley even with the 'change in scenery'

Early present for Pens fans, losing Scuderi.  Now if Santa would just do something about Ben Lovejoy . . .  

I'm dreaming of a Lovejoyless Christmaaaaas, just like the ones I use to know,

Where the ice rink glistened, the defense stiffened,

And Fleury's glove hand stole the show.

I'm dreaming of a Lovejoyless Christmasssss, with every game I watch at night,

May the game be Benless toniiiiight,

With out him our defense will be alriiiiight.

Merry Christmass everyone!!!!

Early present for Pens fans, losing Scuderi.  Now if Santa would just do something about Ben Lovejoy . . .  

I'm dreaming of a Lovejoyless Christmaaaaas, just like the ones I use to know,

Where the ice rink glistened, the defense stiffened,

And Fleury's glove hand stole the show.

I'm dreaming of a Lovejoyless Christmasssss, with every game I watch at night,

May the game be Benless toniiiiight,

With out him our defense will be alriiiiight.

Merry Christmass everyone!!!!

You mean, last Christmas? (apologies to WHAM!)

Last Christmas, you had Simon Despres

Then GMJR traded him away...

First off, welcome to the forums...

Second...change of scenery?

Really? You mean, he went from playing with an never-ran in Dallas the year before (not now though...the Stars look offensively awesome and are top point team obviously) to playing with the Stanley Cup champs and he needed a change of scenery??

LOL....ok, ok...may be that was the case. Only HE really knows what's in his head....but still, color me doubtful about that.

I will still maintain that the Hawks' layered defensive structure and accountability for it for each player was a bit much for Daley to absorb as quick as he needed to.

If he finds his game in Pittsburgh, then maybe there IS something to this 'change of scenery' bit....or maybe the Penguins will play a simpler style of defense that will seem more familiar to him...such as what he was used to in Dallas.

Still though, many are making Daley to be this 'offensive guy who needs to find his game again', when really, outside of his one real good season with the Stars, he had been a pretty mediocre all around D-man before that.

I just think this is who he really is at age 32.

Maybe Pitts can coax a bit more out of him, maybe not.

And if you are the Pens, and you were definitely NOT thrilled with Scuderi's play, taking a chance like this is worth it.

I just don't expect a ton from Daley even with the 'change in scenery'

The change of scenery thing is something i read. That Trevor Daley himself did not want to play in Chicago.

Archived