Gagner Waived - source bright

Bakanekimiwa

Flyers can bury as many players as they want and get ~950,000 in cap space for each one with a contract that exceeds that value.

To the bolded: The max cap relief you can get for burying a player in the AHL is ~$950,000, regardless of the contract size - as long as it exceeds that number. So if a guy costs $950,001 against the cap, you get $950,000. If a guy costs $10 million, you get $950,000. So Umberger or Gagner, either way you are getting back $950,000.

That's helpful to know.  In that sense I still would believe the thinking is that Gagner has the best chance of getting picked up and hence losing his entire contract as opposed to Umberger or Vinny, both of whom have contracts no one would take on.  

Who would contribute more, Sam or RJ is debatable, but I assume everyone agrees that Sam would contribute more than Vinny at this point which would suggest to me the only reason to waive him over Vinny would be in the hopes of losing more than the 905k.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Between injury and probably doghouse, we never knew if he had upside that outweighed demerits. But at this stage, it's done. I guess we know by noon tomorrow if Gagner's stay with the organization is done.....

Howie

I found this......

Veteran: AHL game rosters can only suit up to six combined veterans or veteran exempt players in each game played. A veteran is someone who has played 321 or more professional games in the AHL, NHL, or elite European Leagues. The number of games is calculated before the new season begins and that status cannot change until the next season. Goalies are exempt from this rule. There is no rule for how many combined veterans or veteran exempt players a team can carry.

Veteran Exempt: AHL game rosters can only suit up to six combined veterans or veteran exempt players. A Veteran Exempt player has played in 261-320 games in the AHL, NHL or elite European Leagues (See European Elite Leagues). The number of games is calculated before the new season begins and that status cannot change until the next season. Goalies are exempt from this rule. There is no rule for how many combined veterans or veteran exempt players a team can carry.

I'm rushing, but I can't detect the difference between Vet and Vet exempt players.

either way, do we assume they have a combination of 6 down there already and Sam wouldn't qualify?  

That's helpful to know.  In that sense I still would believe the thinking is that Gagner has the best chance of getting picked up and hence losing his entire contract as opposed to Umberger or Vinny, both of whom have contracts no one would take on.  

Who would contribute more, Sam or RJ is debatable, but I assume everyone agrees that Sam would contribute more than Vinny at this point which would suggest to me the only reason to waive him over Vinny would be in the hopes of losing more than the 905k.  

Lecavalier has a full no movement clause, so he can't be waived down the AHL without his OK.

@King Knut

Veteran: played 321 or more professional games in the AHL, NHL, or elite European Leagues.

Veteran Exempt: played in 261-320 games in the AHL, NHL or elite European Leagues (See European Elite Leagues).

That is the only difference I see...depends on the games played...that is all I know......

It makes sense to waive Gagner, because Hextall was very non-committal from the moment he acquired him from Arizona.

This... Hextall never seemed to be a fan. Sorry but losing Gagne at worst is not that big of a deal. They have been just fine without him in the lineup. The guy is a journeyman in this and will never live up to the hype.

If he clears let him play in the AHL until a spot opens. Not like Gagne is a player that will make any difference in the playoff aspirations. Talking about a player that has 5 points in 18 games and has been in and out of the lineup.

I'm rushing, but I can't detect the difference between Vet and Vet exempt players.

either way, do we assume they have a combination of 6 down there already and Sam wouldn't qualify?  

Here is the list of Veterans and Exempt Veterans from the LV Phantoms:

• Andrew MacDonald
  • Chris Conner
  • Tim Brent
  • Aaron Palushaj
  • Colin McDonald
  • Davis Drewiske
  • Jay Rosehill
  • Matt Lashoff
  • Jason Labarbera (G)

Assuming Gagner clears waivers he would join the above list as Veteran players on the Phantoms.  Per AHL rules, they would only be allowed to dress a max of 6.  Labarbera does not count as he is exempt as a goalie.

So........back to my original question.........

Any guesses as to who will be the odd man/men out. Assuming MDZ is healthy they will play Streit/Schultz/MDZ/Ghost. That leaves Schenn/Gudas/Medvedev/Manning for the last two spots. Although we all wish for the first three with Manning as 7th and no Schultz that is clearly not happening. So if we are stuck with Schultz I’ll guess it will be:

Streit/Schultz

MDZ/Schenn

Ghost/Gudas

But ..Medvedev has been playing well as of late so maybe...

MDZ – Gudas

Medvedev – Ghost

Streit – Schultz

PP: would love to see Ghost still on PP.  He deserves it.

Bench: Schenn, Manning

Thoughts?

Wow.  I can't believe Gagner has amassed over 500 pro games.  I assumed he'd fit under the Veteran bar.  Amazing.  

Any guesses as to who will be the odd man/men out. Assuming MDZ is healthy they will play Streit/Schultz/MDZ/Ghost. That leaves Schenn/Gudas/Medvedev/Manning for the last two spots. Although we all wish for the first three with Manning as 7th and no Schultz that is clearly not happening. So if we are stuck with Schultz I’ll guess it will be:
Streit/Schultz
MDZ/Schenn
Ghost/Gudas

But ..Medvedev has been playing well as of late so maybe...

MDZ – Gudas
Medvedev – Ghost
Streit – Schultz

PP: would love to see Ghost still on PP.  He deserves it.

Bench: Schenn, Manning

Thoughts?

I think MDZ sits.  He couldn't take a whole drill yesterday his upper body hurt so much.  It wouldn't pay to play him only to have to limit his usage.

Well, I guess the Ghost really is a member of the family.  That's a good thing.  The clogging of the A takes away from real prospects but that is a spillover from Homer's legacy.  Maybe somebody relieves us of Gagner.  . . . .Noon tomorrow is deadline, right?

Howie

Well, I guess the Ghost really is a member of the family.  That's a good thing.  The clogging of the A takes away from real prospects but that is a spillover from Homer's legacy.  Maybe somebody relieves us of Gagner.  . . . .Noon tomorrow is deadline, right?

Howie

This is probably what Hextall sees. Gagner is someone who A) can be moved and B) someone a team might pick up. Even though Gagner was not scoring a lot, he was playing solid though not inspired hockey. Worst case, he gets a shot with another team AND the Flyers lose 3.2 mil in cap. Since the team has been playing well most nights without him, this is probably the most win/win the Flyers can get since they have been "homer'd" upon........

I know the Red Wings would take Luke for sure.

One problem with that scenario. The Wings prefer to ice d-men that are actually good with the puck, they are funny that way. The Wings are smart enough to know that come playoff time, Luke would be a target every shift he plays. Other teams would try to force him to handle the puck, and I don't think that turns out well.

I do agree, some physicality and a righty shot will have somebody knocking on the door. I just don't see it being Detroit.

One problem with that scenario. The Wings prefer to ice d-men that are actually good with the puck, they are funny that way. The Wings are smart enough to know that come playoff time, Luke would be a target every shift he plays. Other teams would try to force him to handle the puck, and I don't think that turns out well.

I do agree, some physicality and a righty shot will have somebody knocking on the door. I just don't see it being Detroit.

I think the Wings would pair him with a Dman who would help balance out the pair and someone who could help push the puck up the ice. They are desperate for a right hand shot.....so desperate with why they went with Green who has been a disappointment. I'm sure they would play Luke over his head.

But the Flyers have to be ready to move him too and let's admit it they still need him.

But the Flyers have to be ready to move him too and let's admit it they still need him.

Ug....I just threw up in my mouth a bit....for real. If we *need* Luke, this team is worse off than I thought. Any stiff could take his place....AND...what good is a right handed shot when you hit the net once a week??

Ug....I just threw up in my mouth a bit....for real. If we *need* Luke, this team is worse off than I thought. Any stiff could take his place....AND...what good is a right handed shot when you hit the net once a week??

It's true have you seen this blueline??? I mean anytime Nick Schultz has a chance to play on your top pair....that my friend is a nightmare!!!

And Luke has actually been pretty good in fact it's the best i ever seen him play in the orange and black. I'm not saying they will keep him at the deadline but i'm saying they will keep him as long as they can hopefully increasing his trade worth...if he keeps playing well. But right now they still need him.

I mean i'd love for them to move him and give a kid like Alt a chance but for what ever reason poor Alt can't get a sniff....even after leading the AHL in plus minus.

@OccamsRazor  At least we can rest easy with the notion that Alt will be playing for a different team next year, after the Flyers spent over 2 years developing him....what a waste. I don't care what anyone says, Alt can skate in the NHL....so you never lose him for nothing.

@OccamsRazor  At least we can rest easy with the notion that Alt will be playing for a different team next year, after the Flyers spent over 2 years developing him....what a waste. I don't care what anyone says, Alt can skate in the NHL....so you never lose him for nothing.

He's a right hand shot too with good size at 6-4 and skates well don't let him walk.....sad he can't get a cup of coffee with guys like Schultz and Manning getting looks...really sad. Alt will be a RFA and i hope resigned he has earned that much i think.

On 12/30/2015 at 0:06 PM, hf101 said:

No one wanted Gagner :(   -- as he cleared waivers.

So with Vandevelde more than likely out due to the cheapshot/careless check by Burns will Gagner be back in the lineup? I hope i'd rather dress 7 Dmen then to dress Vinny.

Archived