Game #60 - Wild at Flyers - 25 February, 2016 - 7pm ET

AJgoal

The O and B have compete level but limited compete talent.  The stats posted (Corsi, Fenwick) of late confirm their shots aren't leading to goals. Defensive breakdowns don't help.

If Gagner isn't traded I wonder if he'd be kept on a one-year contract at 1 mill.  The guy has some offensive skill. Weal is wasting away on the bench...can't see what he has to offer.

Howie

The starting goaltender job is Neuvirth's to lose, IMO. Tonight sealed it for me, he's earned it. I know the most he's ever played is 48 games in a season, but he's impressed me immensely. What a save at the end of the game. He seems to make saves close to this caliber almost every time he plays.

I'm a little on the fence about keeping Neuvy as the starter, they are both playing well.  That was an absolutely amazing save.  If they can get their act together and stop not showing up for period 1 and play a 60 minute game, they might make the playoffs.  Either way I'm still going to watch but I am not going to flip my lid if they lose.  I don't expect much from there.

12 minutes ago, swflyers28 said:

I'm a little on the fence about keeping Neuvy as the starter, they are both playing well.  That was an absolutely amazing save.  If they can get their act together and stop not showing up for period 1 and play a 60 minute game, they might make the playoffs.  Either way I'm still going to watch but I am not going to flip my lid if they lose.  I don't expect much from there.

I'm completely content with keeping them both at Equal time, neither of them has shown to be superior to the other.

# GOALIE GPI GS MIN GAA W L OT SO SA GA SV% G A PIM
35 STEVE MASON 37 36 2113 2.70 13 15 7 3 1117 95 .915 0 0 2
30 MICHAL NEUVIRTH 27 24 1527 2.20 14 7 4 3 771 56 .927 0 1 2

In other news, MacDonald's can actually clear the puck on the power play, so that's something new.

@hf101 I'd say it's pretty crucial to take most of them to overtime, 6 points behind Detriot for a Wild card spot but only 8 points away from the Rangers and Islanders.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

save of the year?

Yes.....It is entirely possible/probable that the puck crossed the line but due to the stick/glove you could not see it unobstructed. About time we saw one go in the Flyers favor for a change.....

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

Nice win by the Flyers.  Jake says these next 6 games are critical in terms of this team having a chance to make the playoffs.

so far 2pts out of 12 in this important stretch.

Yep gaining ground is all that is important. 3 points out of the 8th spot with a game on hand with Pittsburgh. They got some help too. Ottawa, NJ and Carolina lost. Flyers must keep the winning up.

Fun game for sure...  need to keep the winning going.  The post trade deadline schedule is a beast so I still think they miss the playoffs even if they happen to go on a nice little run.   Glad Neuvy bounced back after the bad Carolina game... ride the hot hand in net

12 hours ago, FD19372 said:

The starting goaltender job is Neuvirth's to lose, IMO. Tonight sealed it for me, he's earned it. I know the most he's ever played is 48 games in a season, but he's impressed me immensely. What a save at the end of the game. He seems to make saves close to this caliber almost every time he plays.

He hasn't proven himself in previous years unless you include incredibly small sample sizes in which he had a high save percentage.

14 hours ago, Howie58 said:

If Gagner isn't traded I wonder if he'd be kept on a one-year contract at 1 mill.  The guy has some offensive skill. Weal is wasting away on the bench...can't see what he has to offer.

I gotta believe that there is a team out there that would offer far more than $1M for him.

If they can keep him even at his $3.2M mark (he's a $4.8M cap player this season with retained salary from Arizona) I think he'd be "worth the money" - assuming Hackstol thinks he fits in with the system.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

I gotta believe that there is a team out there that would offer far more than $1M for him.

If they can keep him even at his $3.2M mark (he's a $4.8M cap player this season with retained salary from Arizona) I think he'd be "worth the money" - assuming Hackstol thinks he fits in with the system.

Yeah, if you can't move him, but can sign him for somewhere around 3 million and slot him in the top 6, bringing him back makes sense. But Gagner's skill set doesn't lend itself to a bottom 6 role, nor does his probable price tag. That would fill out your top 6 with Schenn, Couturier, Gagner, Voracek, Giroux, and Simmonds, though, and I'm not sure that those parts quite fit together. Gagner - Couturier - Schenn could be an interesting combo to look at over the last 20 games.

I think he's a moveable part with a new, reasonable deal if a better top 6 option comes along.

Still don't know why they've never really given him a shot at top line LW. I presume there is something they've seen in practice.

Just now, radoran said:

I think he's a moveable part with a new, reasonable deal if a better top 6 option comes along.

Still don't know why they've never really given him a shot at top line LW. I presume there is something they've seen in practice.

my guess is that he's another guy that's not much of a shooter. Which is why I  think he might work well with Couturier and Schenn (Who has the best S% on the team)

Archived