Flyers "Winning for Mr. Snider"

radoran

Flyers Snider 1200x800 in CA with Hakstol

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20160401_Flyers_want_to_win_for_ailing_Ed_Snider.html

Right winger Wayne Simmonds said the Flyers have focused on making the playoffs for the 83-year-old Snider.

"We never really said anything about it, but I think it's kind of an unspoken thing," Simmonds said after the team photo was taken. "Mr. Snider obviously is this organization. He is the Philadelphia Flyers."

"It was tremendous to have a chance to talk with him," Hakstol said. "You know he wants to congratulate us, but it's really the other way around. Everything our team is doing right now goes back to Mr. Snider. It's tremendous to know he's watching our games, and certainly we want him to know what we're doing is based on playing for him and the organization he's built."

You wonder... maybe failing health was the reason for all the ridiculousness Homer attempted and last year maybe Snider let everyone of the hook if trying to win him one last cup. 

...ironically, they're probably closer than they've been in 5 years. 

We all love to bash Eddie...   And there is a lot to agree with when we do bash him.   But, the guy brought hockey to Philly and when you look at it he always has tried to win.   No matter if it was a good or bad decision he wants to win.

I think we have the right Coach and the right Captain to do that honestly.   Good things to come...

PS:  G Suk

15 hours ago, radoran said:

Right winger Wayne Simmonds said the Flyers have focused on making the playoffs for the 83-year-old Snider.

I've actually been thinking this for a month, just didn't make a thread out of it.  I had heard a comment back on Jimmy Watson night that Mr Snider was in California and due to health reasons wasn't able to make the trip to Philly.  Just about that time is was also really clear that the Flyers were on a team mission to make the playoffs.  I do think the effort will continue into the playoffs, and just maybe we have some playoff luck.

So hang in there Mr Snider...this team has the determination to get it done.

14 hours ago, AndyS said:

I know that many Flyers fans have a tendency to bash Mr. Snider, but the fact that the team has such an esteem for him should give such fans some pause.

Yea... Grown men showing esteem for an incredibly wealthy man who happens to be their boss should tell us a great deal. 

JK!  The dude invented the franchise and his intense love for it can never be questioned.  

The "win today at all costs" approach was counterproductive. It may have taken Snider a few years of boring, non-playoff hockey to get the message.  I suspect he has gotten it, albeit late in the game, sadly.  That said, I think the message came from a former tough-as-nails, ultra-competitive former player who exemplifies "Flyers" hockey.  Snider started that DNA.

7 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The "win today at all costs" approach was counterproductive. It may have taken Snider a few years of boring, non-playoff hockey to get the message.  I suspect he has gotten it, albeit late in the game, sadly.  That said, I think the message came from a former tough-as-nails, ultra-competitive former player who exemplifies "Flyers" hockey.  Snider started that DNA.

Before I get criticized for what I'm about to say, let me first preface this with without Ed Snider the Flyers never would've been in Philly first of all, but more importantly they would've never been the iconic team that they became.  That day when Snider put his foot down and said he would never allow a Flyers team to be pushed around again ushered in the era of tough, hard-nosed hockey in Philadelphia.  A style that fit the blue collar attitude of it's fans.  He demanded excellence, and expected to be in the hunt every year as a legit contender.

In short, Ed Snider is the Philadelphia Flyers.  Always will be.

However, the recent change in culture of the Flyers from being one of "win today at all costs" to being patient and allowing young talent to mature is an astonishing turnaround for the franchise.  For years I would get aggravated at the trading of young players and/or draft picks at the deadline for the likes of Adam Oates, Dale Hawerchuck, etc.  Past their prime vets at the expense of the future.  Many put the blame on the GM of the moment, but truth be told Ed Snider was the driving force behind that mindset.  And as much as I respected and admired Ed Snider for his determination and desire to win, it was that attitude that has had no Cup in Philly for 40 years now.

Hextall is changing all of that, and I think he is ABLE to do this because Ed Snider is no longer in the building, looking over his shoulder, being involved in the day-to-day operations.

I sure hope the Flyers can do some serious damage in the playoffs as by all accounts this could be the last chance Mr. Snider has to see his beloved orange and black bring one home.  Ironically, when they do it will be because of Hextall's patience, and not Ed Snider's desire to win at all costs.

25 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

Before I get criticized for what I'm about to say, let me first preface this with without Ed Snider the Flyers never would've been in Philly first of all, but more importantly they would've never been the iconic team that they became.  That day when Snider put his foot down and said he would never allow a Flyers team to be pushed around again ushered in the era of tough, hard-nosed hockey in Philadelphia.  A style that fit the blue collar attitude of it's fans.  He demanded excellence, and expected to be in the hunt every year as a legit contender.

In short, Ed Snider is the Philadelphia Flyers.  Always will be.

However, the recent change in culture of the Flyers from being one of "win today at all costs" to being patient and allowing young talent to mature is an astonishing turnaround for the franchise.  For years I would get aggravated at the trading of young players and/or draft picks at the deadline for the likes of Adam Oates, Dale Hawerchuck, etc.  Past their prime vets at the expense of the future.  Many put the blame on the GM of the moment, but truth be told Ed Snider was the driving force behind that mindset.  And as much as I respected and admired Ed Snider for his determination and desire to win, it was that attitude that has had no Cup in Philly for 40 years now.

Hextall is changing all of that, and I think he is ABLE to do this because Ed Snider is no longer in the building, looking over his shoulder, being involved in the day-to-day operations.

I sure hope the Flyers can do some serious damage in the playoffs as by all accounts this could be the last chance Mr. Snider has to see his beloved orange and black bring one home.  Ironically, when they do it will be because of Hextall's patience, and not Ed Snider's desire to win at all costs.

There may be some who'd criticize you for saying this stuff, but that camp confuses and confounds me.  I totally agree with all that you're saying and assume at this point that some of the craziness from 2011 on  especially was tied into whatever's going on with the Boss now.

Mr. Snider is a legend.  As Flyers fans we owe him everything.  Still when similar head scratching mistakes are made by several GM's in a row and rewarded with front office jobs and presidencies after they go, you have to assume there's a master of puppets pulling a great many strings in the background.  And why not? It's his team and always has been.

But now I feel like the franchise is on a good strong path for the first time in at least 8 years.  maybe 18.  maybe 25.  So no matter what happens this spring, Ed Snider can feel good about the future of his beloved enterprise.  

@King Knut  I think that's my point.  Maybe I chose my words too carefully, but I hate to say it but Ed Snider getting sick was good for the Flyers and the future.  It's hard to say given all that Snider has done for the Flyers, but he has for far too long been living in the past.

I recall a movie with William Hurt called "The Doctor," in which the main character--a big time surgeon full of himself--contracts cancer and learns humility in the process. Yep..illness makes people appreciate a lot of things. 

While the O and B have gone 40+ years since a Cup, at least we can say the team has been fairly- to very good.  Put yourself in the shoes of Maple Leaf fans.  Yikes....a drought since '67.  

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/special-phone-call-ed-snider-dave-hakstol-caps-flyers-big-win-capitals

Special congrats from Ed Snider caps Flyers' big win

March 31, 2016, 9:45 pm

zack-hill-ron-hextall-dave-hakstol.jpg?i

General manager Ron Hextall (left) and head coach Dave Hakstol chat during the Flyers' picture day on Thursday at the Wells Fargo Center. (Zack Hill/Philadelphia Flyers)

After his team knocked off the Capitals Wednesday night, Dave Hakstol received a special phone call.

It was from the man that started it all — Flyers chairman Ed Snider.

"It was tremendous to have a chance to talk with him," Hakstol said following the team's picture day on Thursday at the Wells Fargo Center. "He wants to congratulate us, yet really it's the other way around. Everything that our team is doing right now, I believe goes back to Mr. Snider."

Snider missed the picture while dealing with health issues at his home in Southern California.

"It was tremendous to know that he's watching our games," Hakstol said. "Certainly we want him to know what we're doing is based on playing for him and the organization that he's built."

Wayne Simmonds said Hakstol told him Snider "was all pumped up for the win."

To the Flyers, that meant everything.

"This is the least we could do for Mr. Snider, he is the Flyers organization," Simmonds said. "He's the one that started all this — if it wasn't for Mr. Snider, we wouldn't be in this position today."

The Flyers missed him on Thursday.

"He's been the face of this franchise since the beginning," Mason said. "For him not being there for this one, it's definitely a sad feeling."

With six games remaining, the Flyers enter Friday two points ahead of the Red Wings for the Eastern Conference's second wild-card spot. And as the pictures snapped on home ice Thursday, the Flyers still felt their leader.

"Maybe he wasn't there physically in the photo, but he was there with us," Hakstol said. "Believe me, he was there."

Archived