Why locked?

Polaris922

So I have to ask... Why was the Sid a diver thread locked?  I think Noss put some pretty clear facts down to refute the allegations and left it open for debate.  Conversation was civil.  It focused on game stats vs. YouTube experts, not attacking anyone.  So why lock it?

for the record I'm the one who removed phlfly 's post in the Pens forum as it was clearly trolling putting it there, but around the NHL?  I felt that was a debate on the validity of the allegation, not trolling one fan base. 

Not up to me but I gotta call BS on both posts.  When you put up the same post in the Pens forum and in the Around the NHL section both are clearly trolling especially when the same incident had been discussed over a period of several days in the thread about the Pens/Flyers game (which I think he knew).  Frankly, starting that thread anywhere all things considered is trolling i/m/h/o.  Great facts by Noss, though! :CelebratingSmiley2:

34 minutes ago, B21 said:

Not up to me but I gotta call BS on both posts.  When you put up the same post in the Pens forum and in the Around the NHL section both are clearly trolling especially when the same incident had been discussed over a period of several days in the thread about the Pens/Flyers game (which I think he knew).  Frankly, starting that thread anywhere all things considered is trolling i/m/h/o.  Great facts by Noss, though! :CelebratingSmiley2:

Bingo!  Agree ... Great facts by Noss. 

41 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

So I have to ask... Why was the Sid a diver thread locked?  I think Noss put some pretty clear facts down to refute the allegations and left it open for debate.  Conversation was civil.  It focused on game stats vs. YouTube experts, not attacking anyone.  So why lock it?

for the record I'm the one who removed phlfly 's post in the Pens forum as it was clearly trolling putting it there, but around the NHL?  I felt that was a debate on the validity of the allegation, not trolling one fan base. 

Fir the record I'm the one that locked it. Though you make a valid point. I was afraid it would come down to a Pens vs Flyers arguement.  This topic has been beat to death IMO. However if we change the title to include diving in general in the NHL I could unlock it. I'm just afraid it was gonna come down to Pens vs Flyers bashing but in another sub forum.

35 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

if we change the title to include diving in general in the NHL I could unlock it. I'm just afraid it was gonna come down to Pens vs Flyers bashing but in another sub forum.

Doesn't that still ultimately wind up back with Sid? I'm kidding! Relax people. 

The danger is that it becomes a personal Flyers vs Pens thing. And it is a Flyers vs Pens thing, not Pens vs Flyers because there are more of us and the ganging up potential. Let's keep it civil.

Stepping onto soapbox . . .

I've had this talk with my son about my wife.   Now please realize, I love my wife dearly, and she dearly loves me(at least that's what she tells me every pay day, so I believe her).  And sometimes when we have a "discussion" on a topic we disagree on, many a times I'll just give in. And he asks me why.  And I explain it this way. 

Whenever you are going to have a disagreement with someone, first make it like a decision list. Put on one side the good things that can happen and on the other side the bad things by participating. And then make the decision of whether or not its worth winning the discussion.  Typically making my wife happy is on the top of my list and influences all my decisions. Is the discussion that we're having worth the possibility of making her unhappy.

I try to expand this to my outside people of interest(which you all are, even if you ARE Flyers fans :ph34r: )  to make a determination as to whether or not it is worth responding to something(in this case the thread in question).

On the good side of this for me is:

1) Some gratuitous enjoyment of showing someone that basic facts refute their feeling based argument

2) Feeling good as other fans of my team "like" my posts

3) Getting out some personal frustrations 

On the bad side:

1) Possibly hurting someone feelings, and losing their respect

2) Increasing their frustrations which in effect escalate a situation

3) Demeaning myself by eluding that my opinion, no matter how factually based is more important that someone else's.

Now normally, I would have avoided responding to that thread, to me its just not worth it.  My plus factors are nothing more that temporary feel goods while my minus factors may have more lasting effects. But alas, I was having a bad week and I went in.  

Don't get me wrong, I had some fun with facts, and actually found some things in those facts that I would never have believed. But  was it really worth it? This kind of thread comes up I'm not sure how many times a year. Am I going to prevent the next one in two weeks in the playoffs, no. Will it just frustrate me, once again, as I look at it and in my eyes see facts ignored for feelings, yes.  In the end I gained nothing.

PillDoc probably made the correct call on this. There was nothing good that was going to come out of this thread.  Being a fan based board, this thread was not going to change anyone's mind.  All it was going to do is increase frustrations.

PillDoc, I tip my cap to you(a Pens cap obviously) for doing what a good moderator should do.  Recognize a situation that will not promote the harmony of the community and take action on it.  As I drink my first Guiness at bowling tonight, I'll do it in you honor. :ToastingSmiley:

Stepping off of soapbox . . .

All that said, again, I have to say I was having fun with all those facts.   We all need a little fun now and then . . . 

i thought that post was a troll plain and simple.

i didn't bother to even read it because it would wind up 8 pages of barely civil back and forth with our friends in the Pens forum and i've had years of that already.

they think Sid is fine, i think he's fine too, i would still like to punch his horse tooth winey bitch face but so would the rest of the league.  i'm sure our friends in the Pens forums are placing their asses against the wall incase dirty mitts Giroux shows up.  Sid is suk.  G is suk... there.

13 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Whenever you are going to have a disagreement with someone, first make it like a decision list.

That seems like a lot of work. Isn't it easier just to start yelling at people?

When I disagree with someone, and I do a fair amount of it I'd say, I start with "I disagree." This phrase is like a quick left jab to the nose, it kind of stops people in their tracks and renders them briefly speechless. This is the time to pounce. But not with aggression, rather with a friendly "it's not personal or anything, I just can't agree with you on this point." This has the opposite effect, is like a soothing compress. 

Ok, who am I kidding....

31 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

i thought that post was a troll plain and simple.

Well... consider the source...

18 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Ok, who am I kidding....

35 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

That seems like a lot of work. Isn't it easier just to start yelling at people?

Absolutely, it shuts 75% of the up right away too. That's the problem with the internet, you can't CAPITALIZE some one down, just doesn't have the same effect.

45 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Absolutely, it shuts 75% of the up right away too. That's the problem with the internet, you can't CAPITALIZE some one down, just doesn't have the same effect.

That's true, but it doesn't stop people from trying.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Well... consider the source...

I did...that says a lot IMO... especially considering there was an identical post in the Pens forum.... I rest my case.

57 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I did...that says a lot IMO... especially considering there was an identical post in the Pens forum.... I rest my case.

You had a very good case. I didn't don't and won't dispute it :PostAward2:

I guess I look at it as healthy disagreement is good for the forum community as well.  It's why we are fans of different teams.  Understand the thinking, but as the original poster wasn't participating anyway, I found it to be healthy discussion.  

Archived