NHL 1st Round: Atlantic (#1) Florida Panthers vs WC (#1) New York Islanders

pilldoc

NHL 1st Round: Atlantic (#1) Florida Panthers vs WC (#1) New York Islanders  

13 members have voted

1. 1. NHL 1st Round: Atlanctic (#1) Florida Panthers vs WC (#1) New York Islanders

• Panthers in 4 (sweep)
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7
    • Islanders in 4 (sweep)
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7

All discussion between the Islanders vs Panthers should go here ......

Trying not to be too biased...but does anyone care?  Probably one of the more boring series options we have.

Game Date/Series Location Time National TV
Game 1: Islanders at Panthers Thurs. April 14 Florida 8 p.m. ET CNBC
Game 2: Islanders at Panthers Fri. April 15 Florida 7:30 p.m. ET NHL Network
Game 3: Panthers at Islanders Sun. April 17 New York 8 p.m. ET NBCSN
Game 4: Panthers at Islanders Wed. April 20 New York 8 p.m. ET USA
Game 5: Islanders at Panthers Fri. April 22 Florida TBD TBD
Game 6: Panthers at Islanders Sun. April 24 New York TBD TBD
Game 7: Islanders at Panthers Tues. April 26 Florida TBD TBD

Worst of all possible matchups for the young Panthers, the rugged fourth line of the Isles will wear down the soft Panthers, as will the tough physical defense the Islanders employ. The Isles will simply wear down the Panthers in five games, but the Cats will get valuable experience going forward.....

Still no Halak, no Hamonic. Lee is done for the season. While I expect Jagr to tire, and the Panthers are inexperienced, I take Florida in 6. Even with Luongo in the playoffs.

I'm going with Florida, but for me this is the snoozefest series of the first round.   The Isles are banged up and just really not at all impressive to me.   Florida is still a "show me" team, but I think has enough to get through this round.

If Florida could actually get hot all at once, then look ouit.

I guess Florida in 6 since I have to put a game # on it.  

No juice to this series.  I think Greiss can play well enough to get them past the Panthers.  When in doubt, roll with the team who has the best player on the ice and that's Tavares.

I think Florida's offense is distributed more evenly IMO. 6 players with more than 50 points. In addition to superior a superior blue line all the while the Islanders will have two valuable assets missing. What can potentially, and most likely will prove to be a problem for Florida however, is the fact that most of their best players have absolutely no experience in the playoffs whatsoever. Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Gudbranson, Trochek and many more... so it's difficult to predict how they will perform in such circumstances. That's truly the primary reason that could prevent them from progressing in the playoffs. Other then that, I give the edge to Florida. Round 6.

21 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm picking FLA, cause I'm still bitter about 1980 and still want to kill Leon Stickle

Florida is just to good i think. This is the most skill Panther team i've ever seen.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Florida is just to good i think. This is the most skill Panther team i've ever seen.

They do have a nice mix of skills and youth and experience. Not sure about depth. It might be a very interesting series, I don't necessarily agree with the ruxpin's of the world judging it a snoozefest.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

They do have a nice mix of skills and youth and experience. Not sure about depth. It might be a very interesting series, I don't necessarily agree with the ruxpin's of the world judging it a snoozefest.

I think they have pretty solid depth. 9 15 goal scorers among them 5 of them scored 20+. I think that is pretty damn good.

By comparison Caps have 8 who have scored 15 and 6 who have scored 20+ so pretty close to me as far as depth goes.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think they have pretty solid depth. 9 15 goal scorers among them 5 of them scored 20+. I think that is pretty damn good.

By comparison Caps have 8 who have scored 15 and 6 who have scored 20+ so pretty close to me as far as depth goes.

Fair enough. Not gonna argue. 

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Not gonna argue.

I'm not looking to argue either because i don't care who wins out of these two. Just addressing the depth issue.

By comparison Isles only have 6 guys who have scored at least 15. And of those only 4 have scored 20 so to me that looks to give Panthers the edge from a depth standpoint IMHO. 

No Halak, not much of a chance for the Islanders. Yes, I've taken into account Roberto Chokeluongo. His implosion almost singlehandedly led to Boston winning that Cup in 2011. The Panthers have a bunch of young guys on their team like Ekblad and Huberdeau with no fear and are playing for Jagr, who might (although I think he could play until he's 50) retire after this season. Panthers in 5, though it might be a sweep.

50 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I must say I was surprised that Florida blew the lead in that game.  I will be shocked if Florida does not tie this up.  I think this is the best team Florida has ever put on the ice.  But still both of these teams are not good enough to beat the Capitals.

Surprisingly accurate statement :)

Archived