Eastern Conference QF Game 1 - Flyers at Caps - Apr 14 2016 - 7:00 ET

brelic

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Playoff-Gameday-ECQF-Game-1--WSH/45/76312

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.57 (22nd), Capitals 3.02 2nd)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.59 (T-13th), Capitals 2.33 (2nd)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 133/130, Capitals 166/128
Power play efficiency: Flyers 18.9% (T-11th), Capitals 21.9% (5th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 80.5% (T-20th), Capitals 85.2% (2nd)
Shots per game: Flyers 31.0 (5th), Capitals 30.6 (T-7th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 30.7 (23rd), Capitals 28.4 (6th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 51.0% (6th), Capitals 49.6% (19th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 14 Sean Couturier - 10 Brayden Schenn
24 Matt Read - 52 Nick Cousins - 89 Sam Gagner
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Édouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White

47 Andrew MacDonald - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy), R.J. Umberger (healthy), Scott Laughton (healthy), Jordan Weal (healthy), Michael Del Zotto (wrist surgery).

Capitals

8 Alex Ovechkin - 19 Nicklas Bäckström - 77 T.J. Oshie
65 Andre Burakovsky    - 92 Evgeny Kuznetsov - 14 Justin Williams
25 Jason Chimera - 10 Mike Richards - 90 Marcus Johansson
26 Daniel Winnik - 83 Jay Beagle - 43 Tom Wilson

27 Karl Alzner - 2 Matt Niskanen
44 Brooks Orpik - 74 John Carlson
9 Dmitri Orlov - 88 Nate Schmidt

70 Braden Holtby
[31 Philipp Grubauer]

Scratches: Taylor Chorney    (healthy), Stanislav Galiev (healthy), Michael Latta (healthy), Mike Weber (healthy).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know....as good a team as the Caps have, I've taken my post season gulp of Orange Kool-aid and am saying Flyers in 7! Listening to analyst lately not a single one is predicting an "easy" series for the caps....

Flyers have motivation and nothing to loose. Love the fact that Ghost (and maybe Cousins, Gagner, etc)  will get a taste of NHL Playoff hockey without the weight of "expectation"....Gagner strikes me as a player who might really surprise us in the postseason! And the Caps will have to have their heads on a swivel with Gudas out there....

LETS GO FLYERS!! SO pumped for playoff hockey!

30 minutes ago, brelic said:

47 Andrew MacDonald - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

8 Months ago, if you told me that the Flyers would be playing the Caps in the first round of the playoffs with these defensive pairs I would have laughed at you.   Now, I'm praying they can hold up to at least make it watchable.   (at least for the first few games)

Playoff hockey.  Nothing like it.

1 minute ago, MaineFlyFan said:

without the weight of "expectation".

If they could bottle this up and sell it, it's what all teams would want to be drinking. The pressure on the Caps may be too great.

Jump on them early, hit everything in sight, and then grind it into the most boring, soul crushing, New Jersey-inspired-muck of a road game ever....

4 minutes ago, Digityman said:

8 Months ago, if you told me that the Flyers would be playing the Caps in the first round of the playoffs with these defensive pairs I would have laughed at you.   Now, I'm praying they can hold up to at least make it watchable.   (at least for the first few games)

Playoff hockey.  Nothing like it.

Remember 2010 and that defense?

CHRIS PRONGER              KIMMO TIMMONEN

MATT CARLE                    BRAYDON COBURN

RYAN PARENT                  LUKAS KRAJICEK

The 1st and 2nd pairings are not as strong, but I think the 3rd pairing is much better. 

1 minute ago, Bertmega said:

RYAN PARENT                  LUKAS KRAJICEK

The 1st and 2nd pairings are not as strong, but I think the 3rd pairing is much better.

Who is our 3rd pairing again? 

This is definitely not an easy series for the Caps. Flyers have emotion and are playing with house money.

If the Flyers can steal Game 1 or 2 they have a great chance to steal the series. IMO the Caps would MUCH prefer to be playing the Wings in the first round.

I still think that the Caps' depth is too much over seven games, but they still have to go out and prove it.

5 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Remember 2010 and that defense?

I think it's a hard comparison to 2010 as that team had significant parts that had been to the Conference Final two years previous and had lost to the Cup winner the year before.

While this Flyers team has one playoff round in the past three years.

This is not at all to say the Flyers "can't" win, just that I don't see 2010 as apples-to-apples.

:hocky:

12 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Who the HELL is Lukas Krajicek?!?!?! :)

Been following this team rather closely for YEARS and that name does not ring a bell. Jeez...getting old!

Was released by Tampa in 2010 and signed with the Flyers. Played 27 games and then 22 in the playoffs. They were his last NHL games.

This was, of course, after his time on the X-Files :hocky:

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Who is our 3rd pairing again? 

I was more thinking Gudas being far superior to Krajicek and Parent.

It will be a lot nicer when I can type: Haag and Morin for the 3rd pairing (I hope)

44 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

I was more thinking Gudas being far superior to Krajicek and Parent. It will be a lot nicer when I can type: Haag and Morin for the 3rd pairing (I hope)

Indeed. This series will be a real test for Manning and Gudas, especially Manning.

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Who the HELL is Lukas Krajicek?!?!?! :)

Been following this team rather closely for YEARS and that name does not ring a bell. Jeez...getting old!

Don't worry we are all trying to forget his stint as a Flyer as it was just that, FORGETABLE.

Jaroslav Modry is another one whom I wished I could forget too!

1 hour ago, Poulin20 said:

Jaroslav Modry is another one whom I wished I could forget too!

19 regular season and 9 postseason in 07-08...

ALSO his final games in the NHL...

I had an NHL game for my (now defunct) Wii that had Kraijcek on it. My first move was to demote him to the AHL because every time he was on the ice he got scored on.

For some reason, though, Ryan Parent was a budding superstar on that game.

I just want the refs to stay the eff out of it. Call it both ways if they have to call something.

I wonder how it will be before see AO with his cheap **** stuff man he is good for that. If he does it want to see him called on it. Same for the Flyers i want a good game decided by the guys playing.

I know i know asking for a whole helluva lot.....

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Ok...you officially sent chills down my spine with that!  Nice fine....and whoever put that together awesome job!  STAR WARS and the FLYERS ROCK!!!!!

2 and 1/2 hours to game time!!!!

LETS GO FLYERS!!!!!    LETS GO FLYERS!!!!!     LETS GO FLYERS!!!!!

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Ok...you officially sent chills down my spine with that!  Nice fine....and whoever put that together awesome job!  STAR WARS and the FLYERS ROCK!!!!!

I'm all tingly. More than normal even.

Sometimes the guys at Crossing Broad actually do some good work. This latest piece suggests that goal differential (Flyers are 7th overall in GD in last quarter of season) is a strong predictor of who wins series, regardless of seeding. 

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2016/04/the-flyers-have-been-outplaying-the-caps-and-that-bodes-well-for-their-series.html

Archived