NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Semi-Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Metro (#1) Washington Capitals

TropicalFruitGirl26

NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Semi-Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Metro (#1) Washington Capitals  

21 members have voted

1. 1. NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Semi-Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Metro (#1) Washington Capitals

• Capitals in 4 (Sweep)
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Penguins in 4 (sweep)
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nossagog said:

Rux using reverse logic knowing the team he roots for typically loses.  Evil genius.

That's actually true....the "typically loses" part, anyway.

GO CAPS!

Okay then, we're set for a Thursday night start.    Let's get it on!

Gm 1 Apr 28  
  Pittsburgh PIT @   Washington WSH PIT@WSH
8:00 PM ET  |  NBCSN, TVAS 8:00 PM ET  |  NBCSN, TVAS

Gm 2 Apr 30
8:00 PM ET  |  NBC, TVAS 8:00 PM ET  |  NBC, TVAS

Gm 3 May 2
  Washington WSH @   Pittsburgh PIT WSH@PIT

Gm 4 May 4

Gm 5* May 7
Time TBD Time TBD

Gm 6* May 10
Time TBD Time TBD

Gm 7* May 12 
Time TBD Time TBD

Pens had the best of the Caps and Holtby.   And right now Murray = Holtby.  Can that last?  I don't know.  But I'm seeing a confident fast Pens team that beat the Caps and Holtby for six goals one month ago.   I'm going Pens in 5.... 

On 4/27/2016 at 8:07 AM, nossagog said:

Okay then, we're set for a Thursday night start.    Let's get it on!

Gm 1 Apr 28  

Gm 2 Apr 30
8:00 PM ET  |  NBC, TVAS 8:00 PM ET  |  NBC, TVAS

Gm 3 May 2

Gm 4 May 4

Gm 5* May 7
Time TBD Time TBD

Gm 6* May 10
Time TBD Time TBD

Gm 7* May 12 
Time TBD Time TBD

LET'S GO PENS! LET'S GO PENS! LET'S GO PENS!

On 4/24/2016 at 6:27 PM, pilldoc said:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/capspensicon.bmp

That's awesome.

here's another, but I actually think the Penguins will take advantage of the Capitals mistakes.  Penguins in 7

19672e6ca01a96ab2cd53d5277545020.jpg

Fun game one to watch tonight, a little sloppy at times, but both teams had loads of chances to score.  Hope Wilson gets to sit a game or two, his antics tonight put a sour note on a good game.  There is no place for the stuff he does.

11 hours ago, nossagog said:

Hope Wilson gets to sit a game or two, his antics tonight put a sour note on a good game.  There is no place for the stuff he does.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Yeah right.

Is this in the net? Probably.  (NHL)

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

HAHAHAHA!!!! Yeah right.

Is this in the net? Probably.  (NHL)

YIKES!!  Mike Leighton would be proud!!  

Pens can beat these guys but Murray needs to stop his mister-softee.jpgimpersonation.  There were a couple bad ones last night.

6 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

YIKES!!  Mike Leighton would be proud!!  

Pens can beat these guys but Murray needs to stop his impersonation.  There were a couple bad ones last night.

Yeah,  the first Oshie goal was weak, I think the game winner, he is not used to that kind of quick talent from the AHL.   He may be the goalie of the future, but he still has some things to learh.

Murray played well overall but let in one weak goal and another questionable.  Worst player on the ice though was Maatta.  The kid is great but two mistakes directly resulting in two of Oshie's goals were the problem.  It's a 3-1 Pens win if he simply sticks the fundamentals.  The Pens always struggle after 3 or more days off getting speed back up. 

Oh oh well on to game two! 

7 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

Murray played well overall but let in one weak goal and another questionable.  Worst player on the ice though was Maatta.  The kid is great but two mistakes directly resulting in two of Oshie's goals were the problem.  It's a 3-1 Pens win if he simply sticks the fundamentals.  The Pens always struggle after 3 or more days off getting speed back up. 

Oh oh well on to game two! 

Pol, haven't been happy with Maatta all year. His speed(or lack there of) is getting a little scary. I think his progression as a defensemen has slowed dramatically, or receded.

18 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Pol, haven't been happy with Maatta all year. His speed(or lack there of) is getting a little scary. I think his progression as a defensemen has slowed dramatically, or receded.

Maatta's been beaten up all year long. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he comes back next year...healthy.

Laughtons been in the same boat in Philly. It's hard to get a read on a guy who just seems to get going and then down he goes. 

Hard to wind down after watching games like these.  Two tight and exciting games is just what the doctor ordered for this series.  

For the great hype of this series, which its living up to, its also showing the NHL's blemishes with officiating.  Game one featured a hit by Wilson which, regardless of the DiPSHIT's fine, no one can understand how there wasn't a penalty. Game two featured a hit(for some reason people call it questionable, there's no question about the hit) with an elbow to the head which will probably cost the Pens a defenseman for the series, if not the rest of the playoffs. Call on the ice was two minutes for interference.  Did the on ice officials even see what happened?  The NHL wanted the intensity of this series, but without the dirty stuff.

On the Pens side, they must start to capitalize on the Power Play.  If the Caps are going to continue to run around taking penalties, you have to start to make them pay.  If you make the play, they'll stop the crap. The team speed of the young guys seems to be causing real troubles for the Caps, if they can continue to utilize their speed, I think it looks good.  

On the Caps side, right now they are being dominated in time of possession, they have to figure out a way to sustain pressure in the offensive zone.   Its surprising me that they had such issues in games one and two in their own building.  They HAVE to turn that around if they want to move on.

In previous years, the Pens may have melted down retaliating for some of the after(and during whistle) stuff that's going on.  I'm not sure who has changed this on the team, but they aren't getting goaded into the dumb penalties(I'll add the yet here because the series is still young and Malkin already felt the need to go down early and get a dive in game one due to Wilson's silliness).  Am I happy with this, well a little.  My wish for the NHL STILL is to stop the nonsense by enforcing the rules so teams don't have to retaliate.  

The officiating has been pretty bad.  Two blatant slashes to Letang's hands, one well away from the puck, and nothing called.   Then they call him for a trip for checking Williams resulting in the Caps goal.   Thought that was pretty bad work there despite missing the Orpik head contact and all the power plays we DID get.  

18 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

The officiating has been pretty bad.  Two blatant slashes to Letang's hands, one well away from the puck, and nothing called.   Then they call him for a trip for checking Williams resulting in the Caps goal.   Thought that was pretty bad work there despite missing the Orpik head contact and all the power plays we DID get.  

Secondary problem happens though after the officials called a few.  Then they don't want to call any more.   The sequence after the goalie interference where they're scrambling by the Caps net for the puck, Hornqvist goes down and Richards slashes him in the back while on the ground then cross checks him to the head while Orpik throws a punch to Letang's head.  At that point, I knew no more penalties were going to be on the Caps for the evening. 

Archived