Dear Pittsburgh Penguins,

eleven24

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Adamflyers said:

Of course there are no guarantees in sports, but it's impossible to tell how long it will take for any players to come into their own.  Never in a million years did I think that Ghost would have made the impact that he did so early on.  Granted, teams learned how to slow him down a bit, which will continue into next year, but it will be up to him to adjust.  Right now, Proverov, Sanheim and Morin are total unknowns at the NHL level.  You can make all the comparisons you want, but it will ultimately be up to how NHL ready each guy is and how long they will need to develop in the NHL.  So I stand by my "fast approaching".  I am not saying it will be next year or the year after.  My mind is on 3 years and that's not even to say that they will be hoisting the cup in 3 years, but rather showing that they are real contenders that need just one more thing to bring it all together.  A lot depends on what Hexy can to add offensive depth and a true finisher when he has the ability to do so.

Very fair....I just don't think of 3 years as "fast approaching". Semantics, really.  If they all play to their pedigree/potential the Flyers should be fine. More than fine. But as history shows us if 2 of the Ghost/Provorov/Morin/Hagg/Sanheim quintet pan out you've done well.

28 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think he's been one of the better defensmen for the Pens in these playoffs. He has made superbly timed and effective pinches that have led to goals in several games i've seen.  He's not been on the score sheet officially but his play , cutting off an outlet pass, pinching and keeping a clearing attempt have been just what the doctor ordered.  He has been really effective imo.

All true. Still a 5-6 guy...for now...on this team. 

1 hour ago, B21 said:

The biggest contributor of that bunch has been Dumoulin

So Shero appears to have made a great trade here: Pens ended up getting Dumoulin, Bonino (for Sutter) and Pouliot for Jordan Staal. Not bad.

5 hours ago, Bertmega said:

Show me one solid case where "renting/buying" a cup worked in the Flyers behalf. 

Kessel is not the reason why the Pens are on the verge of their 4th cup. He certainly helped, but he is not the sole reason. 

Kessel would not have landed the Flyers a Cup and probably would have costed a few high picks, Ghost, Samhein, etc. 

You have to look at the big picture here. The Pens have great star power that was organically grown, a great cast of youth, a goalie that came out of nowhere, and a hell of a coach, that is why they made the move. Essentially they were one to two pieces away; the Flyers sadly are not. This potential cup for the Penguins is more of an outlier than destiny. Think if Fleury doesn't get hurt, more than likely TB would be in the finals again.

I have a funny feeling that 2016/17 MIGHT BE the last for Fleury as a Penguin. I am guessing that he will be traded just before the 2017 draft.

16 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I have a funny feeling that 2016/17 MIGHT BE the last for Fleury as a Penguin. I am guessing that he will be traded just before the 2017 draft.

I can see it too. Calgary could use his services. I doubt that he will land a 1st rounder, but with the right package he sure can. Jim Rutherford can surly put together a pretty package. 

4 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

I can see it too. Calgary could use his services. I doubt that he will land a 1st rounder, but with the right package he sure can. Jim Rutherford can surly put together a pretty package. 

It will have to depend on a few things. First, he has a limited NMC, so which teams will he list? Second, assuming there is an expansion draft, teams may be able to use that as leverage against the Pens. Knowing that the Penguins don't want to move Murray and have to move Fleury's NMC in order to be able to protect Murrray (You have to assume he'd be selected if left unprotected, no?) should drive his market value down.

Just now, AJgoal said:

It will have to depend on a few things. First, he has a limited NMC, so which teams will he list? Second, assuming there is an expansion draft, teams may be able to use that as leverage against the Pens. Knowing that the Penguins don't want to move Murray and have to move Fleury's NMC in order to be able to protect Murrray (You have to assume he'd be selected if left unprotected, no?) should drive his market value down.

That is a very good point regarding the expansion draft. I did not know MAF had a NMC. I thought only Paul Holmgren gave those out. :5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

38 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

That is a very good point regarding the expansion draft. I did not know MAF had a NMC. I thought only Paul Holmgren gave those out. :5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

Also, other teams might ask the Pens to retain some of Fleury's salary over the next 3 years to take him off the Pens hands. I believe his cap hit is $5.75 so maybe the Pens might have to retain $1 million per year or take a bad contract back to offset.

1 minute ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Also, other teams might ask the Pens to retain some of Fleury's salary over the next 3 years to take him off the Pens hands. I believe his cap hit is $5.75 so maybe the Pens might have to retain $1 million per year or take a bad contract back to offset.

Honestly, he is 15th in salary for starting goalies. Some other names making more than him include: Ryan Miller, Corey Crawford, Cam Ward, Tukka Rask, and Bobrovsky. 

He's 31 and coming off of a 35 win season. I really couldn't think of a reason why Pittsburgh would have to retain salary for move him. Hell, I'd take him in a New YOrk minute. 

3 hours ago, Bertmega said:

Honestly, he is 15th in salary for starting goalies. Some other names making more than him include: Ryan Miller, Corey Crawford, Cam Ward, Tukka Rask, and Bobrovsky. 

He's 31 and coming off of a 35 win season. I really couldn't think of a reason why Pittsburgh would have to retain salary for move him. Hell, I'd take him in a New YOrk minute. 

I tend to agree.  He's only under contract for 3 more years.  I think a lot of teams could take a look at him.  Carolina maybe?  

On 6/10/2016 at 10:14 AM, Bertmega said:

I am hoping this is true! A couple high draft picks or prospects or a combination of both would be nice!

21 hours ago, King Knut said:

I tend to agree.  He's only under contract for 3 more years.  I think a lot of teams could take a look at him.  Carolina maybe?  

I don't think J.R. would trade him to a divisional rival! I guess with the right package anything possible!

3 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I don't think J.R. would trade him to a divisional rival! I guess with the right package anything possible!

Sure he would.  Give Flower a chance to remain a starter while freeing up over 5million?  I'd probably wait till the deadline to make sure murray's for real, but I think you do that in a heartbeat. 

Its not like he'll make Carolina better.  Who needs a goalie out west?  

15 hours ago, King Knut said:

Sure he would.  Give Flower a chance to remain a starter while freeing up over 5million?  I'd probably wait till the deadline to make sure murray's for real, but I think you do that in a heartbeat. 

Its not like he'll make Carolina better.  Who needs a goalie out west?  

I heard on this forum that Calgary needs a netminder!

Dear Penguins,

HJ is betting a ton on you guys to close out the series and hoist the cup tonight in San Jose. Nothing to worry about, it's in the bag.

That is all. :hocky:

4 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

Dear Pittsburgh Penguins,

.    Thank you!

Still never won a Cup at home. I know this upsets you having to watch 4 Cup celebrations on the road!!! :ph34r:

Oh the humanity!!!

It must suck!!! :poke:

It's all i got.

56 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Still never won a Cup at home. I know this upsets you having to watch 4 Cup celebrations on the road!!! :ph34r:

Oh the humanity!!!

It must suck!!! :poke:

It's all i got.

I was hoping they'd announce when the team was arriving at the airport so I could take my boys out to watch them coming home with it.  Was such a great memory for me in my 20's!  But apparently they can't do that anymore.  

Parade is Wednesday so we'll be there! 

Ugh who cares about the Pens?  (Especially in this forum).  If I didnt see it, it didnt really happen....thats all I have to say about the SCF.  

Thank goodness another lousy NHL season finally comes to an end....1 more year off bad Homer contracts and 1 more year closer to the young up and coming Flyers players.

Archived