Should Edmonton Trade their 4th pick?

hf101

sedin.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=620

With Edmonton dropping out of the race for the top 3 and in need of defense should the Oilers trade down in the draft for a right shot defenseman?  This would mean the possibility of trading down to nearly the 10th spot as this year doesn't have a righty d-man in the top 10.

If the Oilers are going to improve next season they won't be able to wait until that d-man develops.  I think this pick will go towards trading for a right-handed d-man currently nearing UFA status maybe someone like Kevin Shattenkirk or Andrej Sustr.  Money shouldn't matter as there is room in the Cap.  

Who might be the Oilers trading partners, and who would the Oilers fans like to acquire for their 4th pick?

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

They should trade it to Philly. Our pick and MDZ? We take Dubois!

I might prefer Thachuk, but yeah I think Philly could be in play here for a trade.  Trading MDZ is a worthy possibility especially the way Gudas played himself to a # 1-2 d-man position.

They could probably use that #4 as part of a package for Travis Hamonic. Would be that right-handed defenseman of quality they so badly need.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

They should trade it to Philly. Our pick and MDZ? We take Dubois!

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

I might prefer Thachuk, but yeah I think Philly could be in play here for a trade.  Trading MDZ is a worthy possibility especially the way Gudas played himself to a # 1-2 d-man position.

All joking aside, I absolutely think Hexy could come up with a package to trade to Edm for the #4 pick overall. Heck I would be in favor of trying to ship MDZ and MacDonald to the Edmonton for the #4 pick.  (I would even be in favor of retaining a small portion of salary to get the deal done).  As great it was for the Flyers to make the playoffs when they had no business to do so....it would have behooved the Flyers if they had another top 10 pick.  So yeah I am in favor of trying to package a deal to Edmonton. (Sanheim/Provorov/Morin are off limits).

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

All joking aside, I absolutely think Hexy could come up with a package to trade to Edm for the #4 pick overall. Heck I would be in favor of trying to ship MDZ and MacDonald to the Edmonton for the #4 pick.  (I would even be in favor of retaining a small portion of salary to get the deal done).  As great it was for the Flyers to make the playoffs when they had no business to do so....it would have behooved the Flyers if they had another top 10 pick.  So yeah I am in favor of trying to package a deal to Edmonton. (Sanheim/Provorov/Morin are off limits).

A pair of lefties, something Edmonton already has too much of. Plus, if everybody in Flyers land can see that McDonald is overpaid, it's a good bet that Peter Chiarelli knows it, too. I don't see a deal there.

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

A pair of lefties, something Edmonton already has too much of. Plus, if everybody in Flyers land can see that McDonald is overpaid, it's a good bet that Peter Chiarelli knows it, too. I don't see a deal there.

one can always dream! :)

11 hours ago, hf101 said:

sedin.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=620

With Edmonton dropping out of the race for the top 3 and in need of defense should the Oilers trade down in the draft for a right shot defenseman?  This would mean the possibility of trading down to nearly the 10th spot as this year doesn't have a righty d-man in the top 10.

If the Oilers are going to improve next season they won't be able to wait until that d-man develops.  I think this pick will go towards trading for a right-handed d-man currently nearing UFA status maybe someone like Kevin Shattenkirk or Andrej Sustr.  Money shouldn't matter as there is room in the Cap.  

Who might be the Oilers trading partners, and who would the Oilers fans like to acquire for their 4th pick?

I agree that the Oil might be better served in turning their 4th pick into an already established defenseman from another team.

Shattenkirk may be an intriguing option for them (though he will cost if Edmonton means to extend him), but I really don't think TB's Andrej Sustr would be an impact player for the Oilers.

Why?

Well, while I like Sustr well enough (and I have been on his bandwagon since the Bolts brought him up), it has become very apparent to me that, as big as he is, he simply isn't the type of physical defenseman the Bolts were hoping for. He plays MUCH smaller than his 6'7 225 pound body indicates (tries stick checking way too much when a good solid body check would do the job better), is a decent, but not great skater, and at age 25, is still prone to some serious down low coverage errors that new 19 or 20 yr olds make.

In short, he makes a pretty decent 4D at best, but more like a regular 5 or 6D on average.  If you have solid top four D-men and a pretty robust offense, then he certainly can be added and not ask too much of him in a bottom pair role.

I don't believe Edmonton fits that description and Sustr, on the Oilers, will simply be exposed, especially when dealing with rugged division rivals like Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, and even Calgary and Arizona who have been known to play very physical games as well.

Now, if the Oil still would like to get him from TB in some sort of package for their #4 pick, I am sure the Lightning would be more than happy to come up with some deal.....but again, not sure Edmonton comes out on the right end of a deal like that.....unless maybe they get back either a Drouin or one of the Triplets in return...which the Bolts likely won't do at this point.

Shattenkirk, yes. Sustr for Edmonton? Hmmm....if you are an Oil fan, I would think not.

Now.....a team that MIGHT like to grab that #4 and have a pretty good right handed D to trade (due to their depth at the position), may be the Nashville Predators. And maybe Edmonton can get Ryan Ellis from them. And while he isn't large by any means, he offers a nice skill set that I believe Edmonton can use from their blue line.

Ellis:

Right handed shot, 25 yr old puck mover/offensive defenseman with decent defensive awareness, and who is signed at $2.5M through the 2018-19 season before Edmonton would have to worry about a raise/extension.

No, I keep the pick and build that way. Tkachuk or Dubois would be fine additions, and it is always possible that Winnipeg or Columbus who both have a history of poor drafting shoot themselves in the foot and leave either Laine or Puljujarvi on the table. Stranger things have happened.

Now if the first three picks are gone and Matthews, Puljuarvi and Laine are indeed gone I would say they should at least consider it, but it would have to be a serious wow of an offer. A young right handed studly shot blueliner at the least. And as teams are reticent to deal them I just dont see it happening.

22 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Plus, if everybody in Flyers land can see that McDonald is overpaid, it's a good bet that Peter Chiarelli knows it, too. I don't see a deal there.

Look at it as a postive - he is not highly overpaid but grossly under skilled!:5722cdef07055_notfair:

4 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Yes, they should. And if they package it rightly, we would give them a top-notch centre ice man......:dancing:

Auston Matthews for #4 and a 3rd? I think Edmonton would take that deal.

On 5/1/2016 at 11:28 AM, JR Ewing said:

They could probably use that #4 as part of a package for Travis Hamonic. Would be that right-handed defenseman of quality they so badly need.

Whatever happened to all of the talk of him wanting to be traded to western Canada, anyway? If there's anything still there, that makes this move make more even more sense.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:28 PM, JR Ewing said:

I would think the package would have to be going to Edmonton for #4, no? Hamonic ++?

1 hour ago, ScottM said:

Whatever happened to all of the talk of him wanting to be traded to western Canada, anyway? If there's anything still there, that makes this move make more even more sense.

That was the last anybody heard, and there's not been anything to suggest that the situation has changed. Hamonic's father is dead, and he wants to be closer to his family, all of whom live in Winnipeg. If Snow is adamant that he wants a defenseman in return, then the Jets absolutely have pieces to offer up.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I would think the package would have to be going to Edmonton for #4, no? Hamonic ++?

If I were Snow, particularly with how well Hamonic has been this playoff, I'd want more than #4.

-He plays the most amount of icetime on their blueline, and #4 doesn't come close to replacing that.

-He's prime-aged.

-He's on a preposterously cheap $3.8M deal until 2021.

Snow is in the driver's seat, and I wouldn't move Hamonic until I'd extracted every penny's worth I could out of Peter Chiarelli, plus his first born.

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

That was the last anybody heard, and there's not been anything to suggest that the situation has changed. Hamonic's father is dead, and he wants to be closer to his family, all of whom live in Winnipeg. If Snow is adamant that he wants a defenseman in return, then the Jets absolutely have pieces to offer up.

Yeah, and that's why I thought Winnipeg looked like the best fit originally, but if I were in the front office of Edmonton, I'd still look at the possibility. Maybe Snow does insist on a d-man and it all falls through, but if I thought I could tempt him with that pick, I'd try. Hamonic might be agreeable too, because Edmonton would be more convenient for getting to Winnipeg than New York.

1 minute ago, ScottM said:

Yeah, and that's why I thought Winnipeg looked like the best fit originally, but if I were in the front office of Edmonton, I'd still look at the possibility. Maybe Snow does insist on a d-man and it all falls through, but if I thought I could tempt him with that pick, I'd try. Hamonic might be agreeable too, because Edmonton would be more convenient for getting to Winnipeg than New York.

Minneapolis is half as far, right @TropicalFruitGirl26?

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Minneapolis is half as far, right @TropicalFruitGirl26?

It is, and I recall Minnesota being mentioned as a possibility, but IIRC, Hamonic wanted to go to Canada. But, yeah, Minnesota could likely be in the mix as well.

• 4 months later...

Archived