One of our goalies should be dealt at draft

We should deal one of our goalies at the draft for a top 10 pick and draft a big scoring winger and then with our own pick draft another big scoring winger. Maybe Tkachuk and Gauthier or Bellows. Both are goalies are UFAs after this year. We will not be able to sign both,and both want to be starters,there is also an expansion draft ,so a trade is needed.  Neuvirths value is sky high after his regular season and playoff performance.It would be incredibly stupid to keep both goalies and then lose one after this season.We need to decide who to keep,sign him and trade the other guy at the draft. We also have to decide if Stolarz  can  be the backup or if we need to get a backup. We have a draft that's loaded with big scoring left wingers and that's exactly what we need .This is an opportunity to make a big leap and improve the team. We need scoring wingers more than a backup goalie that we are destined to lose in another year. If we have to throw  in a second rounder with a goalie to get a good pick,we should do it. We have two second rounders. The other problem we have is ,all our young upcoming forwards like Laughton,Konecny,Cousins and Kubel are all small, we have too many centers and not enough big wingers, someone is definitely getting traded. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We should deal one of our goalies at the draft for a top 10 pick and draft a big scoring winger and then with our own pick draft another big scoring winger. Maybe Tkachuk and Gauthier or Bellows. Both are goalies are UFAs after this year. We will not be able to sign both,and both want to be starters,there is also an expansion draft ,so a trade is needed.  Neuvirths value is sky high after his regular season and playoff performance.It would be incredibly stupid to keep both goalies and then lose one after this season.We need to decide who to keep,sign him and trade the other guy at the draft. We also have to decide if Stolarz  can  be the backup or if we need to get a backup. We have a draft that's loaded with big scoring left wingers and that's exactly what we need .This is an opportunity to make a big leap and improve the team. We need scoring wingers more than a backup goalie that we are destined to lose in another year. If we have to throw  in a second rounder with a goalie to get a good pick,we should do it. We have two second rounders. The other problem we have is ,all our young upcoming forwards like Laughton,Konecny,Cousins and Kubel are all small, we have too many centers and not enough big wingers, someone is definitely getting traded. 

Sure i get that it's the slow boring time of year were there is nothing going on if you're out the playoffs but...

...no need to trade a goaltender before the draft.

In fact as you have seen having two goalies comes in handy...in fact without it they wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Secondly who would back up the guy you keep?

Stolarz has never played a minute in the NHL. Lyons is fresh out of college.

So i can't see trying to plug a hole by creating another hole...just doesn't make sense...now you could maybe move one of them by next years deadline...but before that is even done someone needs to be identified as the replacement 1st weather it be Stollie or Lyon or someone else.

They finally get two great goalies and now there is talk about trading one...it isn't so easy to find a replacement...if it was there wouldn't have been the futility in net that we have seen for the last 20 years.

@ocams, I understand that having two good goalies was a big help this year , but this draft is loaded with big skilled wingers and sometimes you have to take a step back to make a big leap forward. Short term we won't have a great backup if we deal Neuvirth, but even if we deal him at the deadline as you suggest,then those players  from the draft will not be available to us and that still means we go into the playoffs with an unproven backup or have to make a trade for a vet then. So why not do that now and get a great young winger. I know Stolarz never played an NHL game, neither did any goalie until his first game. So we get a  veteran backup and hopefully Stolarz is ready the next year. We will lose Neuvirth to UFA or in the expansion draft,so if the right deal comes along at the draft, then you gotta do it, if not wait till the deadline, but if you wait too long and there's no deal at the deadline ,then we get nothing, opportunity is lost.

If either Mason or Neuvirth gets traded, it will be at next season's trade deadline. I don't want an unproven rookie (Stolarz) behind a defense that is average at best.

@swfflyers 28, we will inevitably lose a goalie after next season to UFA or the expansion draft, long term we cannot keep both Why would you hold on to them, you have to look at the long term picture.

1 hour ago, Holtbeast said:

Neuvirth may get you about a #10 to #15 draft pick, but definitely not Steve Mason.

Believe it or not, I think it's the opposite. I think you would get more dealing Mason. Keep in mind, that as much of a fan of Neuvirth as I have become, he has only played as many as 48 games. He did that in 2010-11, as you probably already know since you're a Caps fan.

16 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Believe it or not, I think it's the opposite. I think you would get more dealing Mason. Keep in mind, that as much of a fan of Neuvirth as I have become, he has only played as many as 48 games. He did that in 2010-11, as you probably already know since you're a Caps fan.

Yes I am aware he has never been a full time starter but Mason has had that chance and he has only had 2 good years as a starter. I think Neuvirth has a much bigger upside than than Mason.

9 minutes ago, Holtbeast said:

Yes I am aware he has never been a full time starter but Mason has had that chance and he has only had 2 good years as a starter. I think Neuvirth has a much bigger upside than than Mason.

Another reason...Mason's salary $4.1 million, Neuvirth $1.5 million. 

I wouldn't say they need to, but now with  Stolarz having a good AHL campaign and Lyons in the fold, they certainly might feel they can afford to. Calgary is at 6, and needs a goalie. If the Flyers are comfortable with the two top prospects (Lyons has jumped Stolarz on hockeysfuture, fwiw), I could see them moving Neuvirth and letting Lyons and Stolarz compete in camp to be the backup.

7 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I wouldn't say they need to, but now with  Stolarz having a good AHL campaign and Lyons in the fold, they certainly might feel they can afford to. Calgary is at 6, and needs a goalie. If the Flyers are comfortable with the two top prospects (Lyons has jumped Stolarz on hockeysfuture, fwiw), I could see them moving Neuvirth and letting Lyons and Stolarz compete in camp to be the backup.

I think Calgary has a few better options to choose from then both Mason and Neuvirth with the 6th pick.

13 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

You don't have any goalies worth a first round pick. 

I don't even think an aging Marc Andre Fleury is worth a late 1st Round Pick.

This sentiment bothers me, neither goalie should be even close to considered for a trade. This is worse than the "trade coots for anybody" circlejerk

11 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

You don't have any goalies worth a first round pick. 

Ladies and gentlemen, the trumping point.

We don't.   Our goalies are kind of 1A and 1B but neither a true "Number ONE."  They're decent as a tandem, and that's great, but any GM trading a first rounder--let alone a top 10 pick that is being laughingly suggested--should be shot, quartered, set on fire, and made to coach for Calgary.   Okay, that was graphic.  Maybe we won't make him do the Calgary thing.

The thing is, we actually need this tandem more than we need the top 10 pick at the moment.  Neither goalie could take the mantel and run with it, but they're good combined.  And there's nothing in the system that I'm confident is ready.  So trade one you end up with a a nice prospect and more goals in your own net than the Dallas Stars.  But not the offense to come close to balancing it.

All that said, if some GM with a top 10 pick came to me and offered that pick for either goalie, I'd be really very tempted to do it and to try to get someone to backfill the position (FA or trade).  Just because I know I'd be ripping that GM off.

It ain't happening.  

13 hours ago, Holtbeast said:

Neuvirth may get you about a #10 to #15 draft pick, but definitely not Steve Mason.

Thank you for the optimism on Neuvirth.  I really don't think a goalie not named Bishop or Price or Holtby gets you a first round pick in the current market.  I'm not sure even a guy like Jake Allen gets you a first rounder.  Maybe.  Goalies are such a risk for a GM that I'm not sure they spend that kind of capital on that.

But I have to agree completely that Neuvirth gets you a better return than Mason.  "Definitely not Steve Mason" is dead on accurate. I like the guy generally, so it's not being a hater; it's being a realist.

You are not getting a top 10 pick for either. I could see getting a late first or a 2nd. 2nd would be more likely since I doubt any team drafting late in the 1st will need a goalie. Maybe if you throw in the 17th and one of them you move up that far but I just don't see that happening.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

I think Neuvirth and a second rounder gets you a first.

seriously why get rid of neuvirth? he played his heart out for this team, he deserves to be on this team, i dont care what picks he can provide, he shouldnt go anywhere. i dont want to take a step back to having bad goaltending like alot of bad teams have.

Archived