Should Backup Goalies Get Their Name on the Cup?

WordsOfWisdom

Fair point about the "at least one playoff game."  That was my understanding as well, but maybe there's an exception for the backup goalie?

I would say yes to the question.  The team probably doesn't get where they are without a competent backup goalie.  Right?

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Fair point about the "at least one playoff game."  That was my understanding as well, but maybe there's and exception for the backup goalie?

I would say yes to the question.  The team probably doesn't get where they are without a competent backup goalie.  Right?

To me, the value of a competent backup goalie helps you get to the playoffs because those 20-25 games that the starter doesn't play are not just "throw-away" games. However, it's pretty clear that teams only need one good goalie in the playoffs because the backup is typically benched for every game unless the starter gets injured or is floundering, in which case it doesn't usually matter by that point anyway because the team will be toast by the time they've given up on their starter and turned to the backup. :)

@WordsOfWisdom

Here's a question.  I'm thinking the answer to this is yes, but I also think it's probably open to interpretation.

The rule I found was that "A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals."    If they are dressed and a member of that game's roster (not scratched), doesn't that count?"   Again, I think yes because the rest is up to coach's discretion in game, but like I said...interpretation.

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@WordsOfWisdom

Here's a question.  I'm thinking the answer to this is yes, but I also think it's probably open to interpretation.

The rule I found was that "A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals."    If they are dressed and a member of that game's roster (not scratched), doesn't that count?"   Again, I think yes because the rest is up to coach's discretion in game, but like I said...interpretation.

Yeah, I don't know how that works for goalies. With contract-type stuff, games played for a goalie means games he was on the ice for, not dressed as the backup. Not sure what the interpretation would be here. But in general, I believe the backup gets their name on the Cup (Martin Jones, for example, has been mentioned as having a Cup ring).

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@WordsOfWisdom

I would have said yes to the initial question just because it seems like the right thing to do, for reasons already eloquently stated above.

But I agree with your interpretation of the rule you put out there, dressed = played. Dressed is not qualified in the rule a minimum amount of ice time 

It is very seldom that a goaltender plays every minute of every game in the postseason, obviously Pittsburgh and Tampa have used two goalies this postseason and the Sharks have played Reimer as well. So my vote would be an obvious yes

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

@WordsOfWisdom

A roster is defined as 20 players and 2 goaltenders. 

Thus yes, the backup goaltender's name is on the cup.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

@WordsOfWisdom

From what I understand, being "dressed" for a game is not a game played. The goalie must be in net to get credited with a game played. Whether he has to play at least a period, or two periods, or the entire game, I forget. 

But from what you've posted, I don't think Reimer would get his name on the Stanley Cup if the Sharks win. 

25 minutes ago, hf101 said:

A roster is defined as 20 players and 2 goaltenders. 

Thus yes, the backup goaltender's name is on the cup.

Oh. I should have read this first. :)

Technically that would be:

• 12 forwards
  • 6 defencemen
  • 2 goalies

12 + 6 + 2 = 20 man roster of dressed players.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

It is very seldom that a goaltender plays every minute of every game in the postseason, obviously Pittsburgh and Tampa have used two goalies this postseason and the Sharks have played Reimer as well. So my vote would be an obvious yes

Oh my bad. I didn't check whether they had used Reimer. I just assumed that he hadn't played a single game thus far.   

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Oh my bad. I didn't check whether they had used Reimer. I just assumed that he hadn't played a single game thus far.   

Jones was yanked in a game that the Blues lit him up, I cannot remember without looking it up but I believe that is his only appearance to date.

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Jones was yanked in a game that the Blues lit him up, I cannot remember without looking it up but I believe that is his only appearance to date.

Can your name go on the cup if you've worn a Maple Leafs' jersey during that season?

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Can your name go on the cup if you've worn a Maple Leafs' jersey during that season?

WOW now that is a good question. I got nuthin.

Just now, yave1964 said:

WOW now that is a good question. I got nuthin.

If there's not a rule, they need to hurry up and write one.   Wouldn't want to sully it.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

@WordsOfWisdom

Honestly, I don't know that wouldn't count. If he's dressed, he's active.

Either way, yes, I think it should be done. You're nowhere without a second goalie.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'm pretty sure that's a no. They don't allow minor league teams such as the Leafs to win the Cup, so why should minor league players?

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

See, my understanding was that everyone (players, coaches, heck even the team doctor probably) gets a championship ring if the team wins, but not everyone gets their name engraved on the Stanley Cup. I always thought scratch players and backup goalies didn't have their name on it unless they actually played in the playoffs but someone (EDIT: ruxpin) posted the rule earlier in this thread. :)

I need to check Reimer's stats though. Did he get credited with a game played when he came in for relief in that one game?

Archived