2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

pilldoc

2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks  

27 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

• Penguins in 4 (sweep)
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7
    • Sharks in 4 (sweep)
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sarsippius said:

Rick you're high. And frankly I'm jeleous

No Hertl tonight, Karlsson up to the top line and Zubrus back in the lineup.

5-0 Pens. Because it's the opposite of what I want to happen

Aint that the truth...watching Crosby lift Lord Stanley again would be vile, sick, disgusting....all of the above...but it will probably happen because God hate's Flyers fans....true story....LOL>

2 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Penguins depth is too good :(

Amazing what they've done with a roster  consisting of a few fat contracts and filled out with alot cap sensible depth.

3 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Penguins depth guys that nobody has ever heard of are too good  playing our of their minds :(

Seriously I mean Crosby, Malkin, and Fleury look like shells of themselves and these guys are 2 wins away.  

Fun game again tonight.  Letang with a real bone head play on the PK leads to the tying goal and the Sharks win in OT. Between that and him screening Murray on the first Sharks goal and I'd say Letang gets the goat award for the Pens tonight.

Great game by the Sharks, still hard to believe that the Pens out shot them again tonight 42-26

1 hour ago, Polaris922 said:

Letang has hurt us three games now, but the Ward goal was soft on Murray.  We knew there would be no sweep so no fears here.  On to game four! 

They were never going to sweep them. Two softies by Murray. Gotta make that save in OT.  The Ward goal....my God. No screen. Another one he has to make.

5 hours ago, sarsippius said:

Amazing what they've done with a roster  consisting of a few fat contracts and filled out with alot cap sensible depth.

Agreed. And with Murray coming in being much cheaper than Fleury they can get rid of Fleury and continue to keep a lot of their depth pieces. Which as a Flyers fan I don't like. Also hooray for the Pens losing!

A LOT of complaints about officiating in the aftermath by some pretty knowledgable local fans.  A lot of folks saying the NHL wants more games out of the series so the officials allowed a lot of stuff to muck the game up.  Lol. I only got to listen to most of it not watch it, but any opinions?  

25 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

A LOT of complaints about officiating in the aftermath by some pretty knowledgable local fans.  A lot of folks saying the NHL wants more games out of the series so the officials allowed a lot of stuff to muck the game up.  Lol. I only got to listen to most of it not watch it, but any opinions?  

What, you mean folks are complaining the Sharks were allowed to actually hit the Penguins including Crosby?

They are getting creative.

ScornfulAdolescentKoalabear-size_restric

A LOT of complaints about officiating in the aftermath by some pretty knowledgable local fans Regis, Doc and Edzo. 

These three amigos have become so biased for the Penguins over the years that I cannot watch a game when they call it. I get the local broadcasters being homers but the national crew should be a little more objective. I don't know which one loves the Pens more? Pens score and Doc is screaming his head off, Sharks score and he is enthusiastic as an 80 year old librarian. God forbid they call a game that is a Pens loss because they act as if the just witnesses a litter of puppies being murdered. 

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

What, you mean folks are complaining the Sharks were allowed to actually hit the Penguins including Crosby?

They are getting creative.

ScornfulAdolescentKoalabear-size_restric

Nah but pulling Crosby down from behind in the slot was complained about.   I just figured I'd try for an unbiased review so I knew whether they were being objective or homers.   You fail ;) 

2 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

Nah but pulling Crosby down from behind in the slot was complained about.   I just figured I'd try for an unbiased review so I knew whether they were being objective or homers.   You fail ;) 

LOL,

I was looking for that gif, refs probably saw it as another dive by Sid.    :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

Fun game, best game 'artistically' in the series to date.

It annoys me that the ratings are down so heavily in this series, Good Lord the series has Crosby, Thornton, Pavelski, Malkin, a Wookie for Gods sake. Two OT games in the first three. Hard clean hitting hockey that is fun to watch. Sorry every game is not 6-5 firewagon eighties hockey but it is one Hell of a series so far, game 4 will be critical to both teams as the Pens try to regain momentum and the Sharks look to hold serve. What more do people need?

It sounded as though the game was more balanced with Jones making the difference and Murray letting in two softies (2&3).  Unfortunately I could only listen.   But to be honest, I'm still pretty comfortable.  In my local pool I picked the Pens to split in San Jose so no shockers here.  Sounded like it was a game for the taking by the Pens, but weak play by Letang and Murray told the story.  

3 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

For both teams, you basically had to make the mistake of high sticking someone to get a penalty.  But that's okay, our PP is so bad, we don't want penalties to be called.  Understand it, and use it. 

But to me, this game was about the little details, and the Pens did not take care of those.   Too many players trying to do too much with the puck, instead of making the little area play and use their speed.  

Classic example was what led to Ward's goal.   Letang and Crosby coming up ice shorthanded 2v2, and instead of Letang dumping the puck into the corner and letting Crosby retrieve(also killing the rest of the penalty) he makes little lateral pass to Crosby along the boards who is covered and nowhere to go.  Play turns into a 3v3 the other way, tie game.

There were many instances of that all night, make the smart play and regroup instead of trying to skate through everything.  Same with the power play, they would cross the blue line and try a little lateral pass that kept getting blocked. Same with the Sharks forecheck, Murphy dump it, don't try to skate through it.

Polaris said:

It sounded as though the game was more balanced with Jones making the difference and Murray letting in two softies (2&3).  Unfortunately I could only listen.   But to be honest, I'm still pretty comfortable.  In my local pool I picked the Pens to split in San Jose so no shockers here.  Sounded like it was a game for the taking by the Pens, but weak play by Letang and Murray told the story.

Probably what Murray has to work on in the off season is what happened on the third goal.  He basically went down the the butterfly, but then made himself even smaller by almost sitting on the ice.  Butterflying is okay, but you need to make yourself a little bigger to take away that short side. Short side top as well as far side top was wide open, I expect the Sharks to learn from this and see this more. 

Last night was the first night the Sharks competed for pucks and were hard on the puck when the Pens checked them.

I don't know if it has been a wariness of the Pens speed in the first two games but last night the Sharks didn't quit on contested pucks, they banged the smaller guys and maintained possession.  If this trend continues we'll have a fun series. I don't know if the refs were "letting stuff go" so much as the Sharks finally engaged in the physical nature of the game.  I know Bonino had the high stick penalty but I think he's going to get paid when his contract is up, he is an ideal character bottom six guy.  I've been impressed by him, more than Rust but he's probably going to make some bank too because he's got a nice game too.  I guess Shero didn't **** the organization so badly after all. 

Murray letting in two softies (2&3).

2 was horrible, a soft Bryzgalovian soul crusher... # 3 not so much.

the winner was a pretty awesome shot that probably beats anyone.  there was a tiny crease and Donskoi found it.  I wouldn't fault Murray for that one, Donskoi's was a world class snipe.

As for the officiating...eh, i didn't see anything that i thought was horrible.  like the missed roughing Thorton v Crosby in game two...wtf was that ?  guys are holding, guys are grabbing sticks....its the finals.  i see it both ways, for every Crosby dragged down in the slot, there's a stick being held in the crease the the other way. 

i don't think there's a legitimate gripe about the officiating so far.  

29 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Got smashed drunk and fell asleep before the game. Nice to wake up to a win.

No worries Joe, HJ had your back. He guaranteed a Sharks victory last night so there was no need for you to watch. 

Thanks all.  My problem with the third goal was as Noss stated Murray makes himself small sometimes.  I felt he was too far in the net rather than angled outwards from the post.  You can see the Sharks target the top corners on him every time.  

I figure the Pens to win game 4 then game 5 becomes a desperate battle for the Sharks.  The ice is as @J0e Th0rnton said it would be, soft and slow.  But they'll come back and adjust.  They would've won game 3 if not for the Soft goal for Ward.  

Archived