Devils Steal Taylor Hall for Larsson

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Yup that seems to be the general consensus right now.

And in real fairness to Peter Chiarelli, this also falls on the shoulders of Steve Tambellini and Craig MacTavish, both of whom spent years spinning the organization's wheels, running preposterously unbalanced rosters. In a league where the value of position players where wingers are less than defensemen (especially right-handed) and centres, they assembled a roster loaded at wing and rookie coaches and nothing else, shaving more talented than they acquired.

So, Chiarelli is hired, and has to approach every deal from a position of stunning weakness, and has to eat a knuckle sandwich in order to get closer to the balance the team requires, almost entirely because the men in charge allowed incompetents and old buddies to run the store.

It's a tough day for me; the latest in a decade of them.

I find it odd that Subban and Weber are moved, both from teams in need of offense, in the same hour that Hall is dealt from Edmonton... But the return for Hall isn't either of those two. Larsson is fine as a d-man, young guy, but one has to think the Habs or Preds would have been interested in Hall - even if the Oilers needed to sweeten the deal some...

In a couple of weeks when Chiarelli runs the franchise value of the Oilers down to five bucks, I'm gonna buy it. My first move? Fire Chiarelli.

56 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Somewhere, a village is without it's idiot, he is now residing in Rexall Place. This is HORRIBLE. Not nearly enough for Hall. Adam Larsson was supposed to a be a wicked 2 way d-man and the offense never came. He will help out the Oilers transition game, but Taylor for a stay at home d-man....that is just plain wrong.

Spits fans are THRILLED to see Hall and Henrique reunited, to bad it's for the hated Devils. Those two had tremendous chemistry during our Memorial Cup runs.

I thought of you the second I saw this trade come across TSN. Both because of the Spitfires but also was immediately wondering if Hall was still a keeper. Lol 

18 minutes ago, ScottM said:

In a couple of weeks when Chiarelli runs the franchise value of the Oilers down to five bucks, I'm gonna buy it. My first move? Fire Chiarelli.

Here is a guy who has traded Kessel, Seguin and Hall....wtf, this guy is a loser. There is NO WAY that he shopped this around the league. I'd much rather have Sanheim from Philly, (I think Provorov is untouchable, but not Sans....not for a talent like Hall) one of Carolina's many young stud d-men.....I can think of many teams that would offer much more than Adam Larsson. It is truly mindboggling.

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Both because of the Spitfires but also was immediately wondering if Hall was still a keeper. Lol 

Not quite sure yet...will have to take some time to process....but I was really liking the idea of Hall with McDavid on the top pp, even if he was not on his regular line. As good as Henrique is, he's a steep drop from McDavid kinda talent.

I posted this in the shoutbox, but I thought I'd post here too.  Saw this on Twitter and it made me chuckle:

Buddy is Driving down the whitemud and there is a kid holding a sign on the 159th over pass saying "honk to fire chiarelli" Lolololol

50 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Well, at least Larsson can bond with his former teammate Fayne over ending up in hockey purgatory.

Jeebus, it must be like Christmas morning for you.....wow.

25 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Jeebus, it must be like Christmas morning for you.....wow.

I really like Larsson, so I kind of have mixed feelings. I'm thrilled to have Hall, but sad to see Larsson go, especially to a place that could eat him alive if things don't go well.

Larsson is better than a lot of people are giving him credit for, but I have doubts about his offensive game. His vision and passing are great, but his shot release could be timed with a sun dial and he doesn't have the top end skating ability most true #1 defensemen have. I think he's going to be a top notch shutdown defenseman, but if you're talking about trading Taylor Hall you probably want more than that in return. Although given the plethora of skilled forwards Edmonton has, they can probably absorb that loss better than a lot of teams.

Just food for thought here....if the Devils gave up Larsson for Hall straight up....which Flyers D-prospect would you have given straight up for Hall???  (I am not advocating trading any of the Flyers prospects...just curious..which one would you have given for Hall?)  I understand that Larsson is a RH D-man and the only Flyers D-man who shoots R is Gudas. I could be wrong, but I think Provorov / Sanheim / Morin / Haag / Ghost are all LH. 

While insane trades are taking place across the league, might I put Mark Borowiecki and Clarke MacArthur on the trading block? I'm looking for a top pairing D-man in exchange.

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Here is a guy who has traded Kessel, Seguin and Hall....wtf, this guy is a loser. There is NO WAY that he shopped this around the league. I'd much rather have Sanheim from Philly, (I think Provorov is untouchable, but not Sans....not for a talent like Hall) one of Carolina's many young stud d-men.....I can think of many teams that would offer much more than Adam Larsson. It is truly mindboggling.

I think that's going a bit far.

-I don't like the trade. Not at all.

-That said, Adam Larsson is an actual NHL defenseman who has played high leverage minutes with extreme zone starts and succeeded defensively. Sanheim is a very nice prospect, but that would be a much bigger gamble than Chiarelli already made with this trade.

-Sanheim is left-handed, so that's not really a starter anyway.

-Remember what I've been saying around these boards for the last few years, whenever folks would pop off about how the Oilers should trade one of the wingers for a #1 defenseman, and I would say "those guys aren't really available for wingers"? They're not.

5 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

It should be interesting to see how Hall is perceived by folks in the hockey world, now that he'll be playing games before they get tucked in for the night, because this is the sort of player we're talking about:

Even-Strength Points / 60, 2012-16

1. Crosby, 2.71

2. Benn, 2.54

3. Hall, 2.49

I can't help but think it will be "Wow, look he good he is away from the tire fire!!!"

I saw this trade and felt the oilers could have gotten a better defenseman for Hall by a longshot. Eberle is who I expected to go for a hamonic/Larsson caliber dman. A guy like hall should be worth a shattenkirk or even a hall + for subban

Lucic might do well on Draisaitl's line methinks. Mcdavid will do well with anyone

Just now, J0e Th0rnton said:

I saw this trade and felt the oilers could have gotten a better defenseman for Hall by a longshot. Eberle is who I expected to go for a hamonic/Larsson caliber dman. A guy like hall should be worth a shattenkirk or even a hall + for subban

Lucic might do well on Draisaitl's line methinks. Mcdavid will do well with anyone

-If, and only if, they could have him extended. Otherwise, Hall's contract for that expiring deal of Shattenkirk's would be worse robbery.

-I could have accepted Subban.

How about this.....

When the Oilers won the lottery, they decided it was time to run off K-Lowe and MacT so McDavid would think that he's playing for a competent organization who does the smart thing. In the end, they dealt McDavid's roommate, mentor and best friend on the team within one calendar year.

Archived