Flyers sign Dale Weise...details still coming

Just read the article...I'm ok with the signing. Maybe not for 4 yrs though...i see this as a bridge until some of the other younger prospects are ready for the NHL.  This is not a signing that will suddenly take this team deep into the payoffs.  Agree with @murraycraven..Weiss is an upgrade from White, but I'm curious to what White wanted.  Was really hoping for a LW.  Curious to see how the rest of the day shakes out.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Just read the article...I'm ok with the signing. Maybe not for 4 yrs though...

Meh. a fourth year at 2.35 isn't the end of the world. Weise is young too, only 27.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Me too. I guess Brayden will be the top line LW i guess.

Why wouldn't he be? He outproduced Lucic and Ladd last year, and both them and Eriksson were too expensive for too long for the Flyers.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Why wouldn't he be? He outproduced Lucic and Ladd last year, and both them and Eriksson were too expensive for too long for the Flyers.

Once he is signed he'll have to be. They have 50 RWs to chose from to put on the off wing........spin the bottle!!!:572958dd97de9_hithead:

Gordon is a solid penalty killer to boot. I'm wondering what White was wanting in return....looks like his talk was just that...talk.

Gordon as another former 1st round pick to the lineup!!! (17th overall in 2002) :beer:

Just now, off_the_post said:

I don't mind the signing.  Like others have already mentioned I don't like the term - at all. 

I don't get this...he's 27, signed til he's 31, and from all accounts is a great team player.

I see Umberger 2.0.  I would have rather banked the salary and had more flexibility at the trade deadline in light of the expansion draft.  Maybe a 2 year deal and he becomes a UFA at 29.  I would be happy if he comes in and scores 15 next season.  But I see a 6'-2" journeyman hockey player making $2.35 or whatever it is for the next 4 years.

I will not get my underwear in a knot though.  It is not like Hexy just signed Eric Staal $5M/5 year no movement type contract. 

3 minutes ago, off_the_post said:

I see Umberger 2.0.  I would have rather banked the salary and had more flexibility at the trade deadline in light of the expansion draft.  Maybe a 2 year deal and he becomes a UFA at 29.  I would be happy if he comes in and scores 15 next season.  But I see a 6'-2" journeyman hockey player making $2.35 or whatever it is for the next 4 years.

I will not get my underwear in a knot though.  It is not like Hexy just signed Eric Staal $5M/5 year no movement type contract. 

I would have been good with 2 years as well. No need to commit to a utility type player for 4 years. He will certainly be left exposed for the expansion draft. I think Read gets moved soon.

3 hours ago, activestick said:

yawn

Its a legitimate improvement in the bottom 6 I think.  I would assume this changes things with White. 

Weise out scored Read last year. 

But, no.   Obviously this is not a missing piece.  

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would have been good with 2 years as well. No need to commit to a utility type player for 4 years. He will certainly be left exposed for the expansion draft. I think Read gets moved soon.

Read makes more and scored less.  I'll take Weise. 

1 hour ago, off_the_post said:

Weise is only 27 and literally scored 7 times as many goals as Umberger.  Why do you think he's headed for that circle of Hades?

Weise has good size and IIRC some sandpaper in his game, which are both badly needed in Philly. If White's demands are reasonable, I think the Flyers will still sign him as well. It's guys like Read, VV, and Umberger (already gone) who are being replaced with Gordon & Weise. If Danny B. vouched for him, that's also worth something in my book. I'm good with the signing.

Howdy:

The length of this deal is a tad difficult to understand. Won't we have some good youngins soon?  For a team that needs to score, I'd take a flyer (no pun intended) on a Euro with some scoring potential.  The guy must have grit...and I have nothing against that. But we need to get the puck into opponents' zone before we put the puck in their net...and last year, gaining possession was a problem.  I don't see this helping. 

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Weise is only 27 and literally scored 7 times as many goals as Umberger.  Why do you think he's headed for that circle of Hades?

Dale Weise has scored 36 goals in his entire career and last year was a career year with 14 of them. Nearly 40% of his career goals came from last season.  I don't see how that justifies a 4 year contract worth almost $10M. But it is the silly season. 

Archived