Gagner

Samifan

Has anyone read or heard what he and his agent may be looking for? I know I am in the minority but I was really hoping he would have accepted a 1-2 year deal like Del Zotto did when he was trying to revive his career. Gagner played really well down the stretch and scored some big goals. He also seemed to buy into Hak's system and was on record saying he liked Philly and that was the closest knit team he has ever been on last season. I think his skill set could still help the Flyers. 

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Has anyone read or heard what he and his agent may be looking for? I know I am in the minority but I was really hoping he would have accepted a 1-2 year deal like Del Zotto did when he was trying to revive his career. Gagner played really well down the stretch and scored some big goals. He also seemed to buy into Hak's system and was on record saying he liked Philly and that was the closest knit team he has ever been on last season. I think his skill set could still help the Flyers. 

I haven't heard. Yes, you're in the vast minority, but I agree with you. 

I'd tend to agree too. He could slot in pretty well at 3C to give Cousins/Laughton more time in top situations in LV. Not sure the money is there, though.

The only hope we have to resign is a heavy discount to see if he can resuscitate his career as a more complete player. His Plus/Minus is terrible...his year with us was the only positive....I am not sure he will fetch much.  The question we face is cap room.  In light of expansion, I might say he'd be a "good" resigning if cheap enough....probably wouldn't mind losing him with the possibility of prospects taking over 2-3 down the road.  I've posted elsewhere that his analytics down the stretch were among the best on the team--he was one of the few players who could take the war to the opposition.  

A commentator on Sirius last week said that many GMs are reluctant to trade for Edmonton players, feeling there's a losing culture which erodes careers, making the Taylor Hall trade to NJ even more curious than it appeared. That may make Gagner damaged goods around the league.

5 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I'd tend to agree too. He could slot in pretty well at 3C to give Cousins/Laughton more time in top situations in LV. Not sure the money is there, though.

they won't benefit from any more time in LV

4 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

they won't benefit from any more time in LV

That is just not true. In fact that is one of the biggest problems with Laughton he didn't really get any time in LV. 45 total AHL games and he just turned 22. It could be just what he needs.

7 hours ago, murraycraven said:

I wouldn't mind it but don't think the money is there... after Schenn signs they will be near the cap.   Hextall has also stated he want to be about 2m under the cap...

If Hextall can move one contract, like Read or Streit, that opens up space for us. I don't think Read can be moved right now, but Streit is on his last year and just had his bonus paid out. Definitely a possibility.

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

If Hextall can move one contract, like Read or Streit, that opens up space for us. I don't think Read can be moved right now, but Streit is on his last year and just had his bonus paid out. Definitely a possibility.

Well yeah of course but as of right now they are on the team.  Until then they don't have the space if Hextall stays true to his words. 

Plus, i really don't see either player getting traded.

38 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Plus, i really don't see either player getting traded.

I don't either, but my track record is that I'm usually saying that at exactly the same time as Hextall is finishing up on the trade phone call.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't either, but my track record is that I'm usually saying that at exactly the same time as Hextall is finishing up on the trade phone call

I sincerely hope your track record continues!

5 hours ago, brelic said:

Yeah, I still think Streit could be moved. Read is the real problem. I cannot see anybody that saw him play last year taking him, even if the Flyers were to retain salary. He's regressing. He's a buyout candidate next spring prolly, assuming that's possible.

@radoran and I had this discussion last year, and it's still puzzling to me. Most players tend to hover around the same shooting percentage year after year. They might have a huge year one year, but it will usually drop back down, or come up off a down year. This held true for Read his first three seasons - 15.5, 15.3, 14.6. Then two years ago his percentage tanked - 5.6%. Usually you would expect that number to rebound, and it did. But only to 8.7%. Read's possession stats are still good, and his teammates score at a slightly faster pace when he's on the ice with them than when he isn't, but he himself isn't scoring anymore. For the life of me, I can't figure out what happened to his shot.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

@radoran and I had this discussion last year, and it's still puzzling to me. Most players tend to hover around the same shooting percentage year after year. They might have a huge year one year, but it will usually drop back down, or come up off a down year. This held true for Read his first three seasons - 15.5, 15.3, 14.6. Then two years ago his percentage tanked - 5.6%. Usually you would expect that number to rebound, and it did. But only to 8.7%. Read's possession stats are still good, and his teammates score at a slightly faster pace when he's on the ice with them than when he isn't, but he himself isn't scoring anymore. For the life of me, I can't figure out what happened to his shot.

It is probably related to his wrist surgery he underwent this offseason on his shooting hand.

Not sure.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It is probably related to his wrist surgery he underwent this offseason on his shooting hand.

Not sure.

If he were part of an outstanding Flyers' PK I'd say keep playing him and hope he finds his shot. But the Flyers' PK was not very good last year - they finished what, 20th in the league in PK%? something like that. Read doesn't rate a roster spot anymore but I'm afraid the Flyers are stuck with him till his contract is up.

re: Gagner, the market for him has to be pretty soft. If he can wring $2mil/year out of somebody he'll be lucky. It won't be Hextall; Hak made it perfectly clear Gagner was odd-man-out. I never heard why - not even any speculation - why Hak didn't play him. He gave him what, 10, 12 games in Oct/Nov then sat him the rest of the way. I feel like Gagner got a raw deal from Hakstol. OTOH I trust Hakstol to know who's earned ice time so ... ?

The Flyers confirmed on Friday that Read underwent surgery on his thumb yesterday, and will be out of commission for the next four weeks. That puts him back on the ice by mid to late July, with more than enough time before training camp will begin to get himself back into shape.

Per general manager Ron Hextall, the procedure was a ‘clean-up’ procedure, so don’t expect this to have any serious setbacks. Read should be ready to go in more than enough time to get back on the ice before the season begins, so he shouldn’t have to miss any actual time due to the surgery

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/matt-read-surgery-thumb/

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The Flyers confirmed on Friday that Read underwent surgery on his thumb yesterday, and will be out of commission for the next four weeks. That puts him back on the ice by mid to late July, with more than enough time before training camp will begin to get himself back into shape.

Per general manager Ron Hextall, the procedure was a ‘clean-up’ procedure, so don’t expect this to have any serious setbacks. Read should be ready to go in more than enough time to get back on the ice before the season begins, so he shouldn’t have to miss any actual time due to the surgery

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/matt-read-surgery-thumb/

As much as that stinks for read it still doesn't help his rapidly diminishing speed.

11 hours ago, murraycraven said:

As much as that stinks for read it still doesn't help his rapidly diminishing speed.

This.  I'm sure his hand had something to do with his shooting percentage, but I'm willing to bet a cheese steak that his quickness previously opened him some shooting lanes that his now lack of speed doesn't do.   It's also hampered his penalty kill.

I can't explain the teammates' scoring and possession stats @AJgoal posted.   I wouldn't have guessed that based on just watching.

Archived