• Czech Republic
    • Europe
    • Finland
    • North America
    • Russia
    • Sweden
    • USA

On 9/8/2016 at 7:07 AM, MadDevil said:

The format is clearly set up for a Canada/US or Canada/Sweden final. Which is why I'm pulling for North America to pull off the upset and win the whole damn thing.

I might be wrong, but the US is in Canada's division....they play on Sept 20 (for real this time). That would mean the US and Canada could not play in the final....right?  If they play the other division in the playoffs then Canada vs Sweden could happen. I know the final is a best of 3...which is so very cool...no lucky flukey wins here.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me just say, those US vs Canada games were EPIC...they had the feel of a game 7 stanley cup final. ....and those were "exhibition" games....LOL, WTF....that was some outstanding hockey. Looked like Quick saved the US's bacon in the first one...Canada had the clear territorial advantage in both games...but the US left a wake of bodies in the first game....kinda like watching my Canadian heroes playing the Flyers of the 70's....ha ha, gotta respect that. US left off Okposo, Kreider, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Faulk for the big bodies....and I like the stragety. They are not gonna outskate Canada...or out elite them...but they can outhit them and create havoc to open up stuff.....Fonzie has this Us team going in the right direction.

6 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I might be wrong, but the US is in Canada's division....they play on Sept 20 (for real this time). That would mean the US and Canada could not play in the final....right?  If they play the other division in the playoffs then Canada vs Sweden could happen. I know the final is a best of 3...which is so very cool...no lucky flukey wins here.

The top two finishers in Group A and Group B will advance to the Semifinals. Then the two Semifinal winners will meet in the Final, a best-of-three series.  So yes, there can be a USA / Canada Final.  I think it was set up that way on purpose. :)

Was very glad to see Tavares and Duchene get untracked yesterday. Getzlaf played a spirited effort, along with most of Team Canada. One thing I wonder about these days...how come nobody calls Doughty a "generational talent"....cause he has evolved into one. 2 time stanley cup champ, Olympic Gold medal, Norris, World Jr's ....his mobility is amazing as is his positioning and shot...I might be most impressed at his knack for holding the puck into the offensive zone...his reflexes, speed and hand/eye coordination is second to none. Good luck slipping a puck past him in a scoring lane...that puck is just drawn to him. Love the old time missing teeth, just adds to the legend as far as I'm concerned.

Imagine Canada in the next Olympics.....which stars leave to make way for McKinnon, McDavid, Monahan, Ekblad??

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The top two finishers in Group A and Group B will advance to the Semifinals. Then the two Semifinal winners will meet in the Final, a best-of-three series.  So yes, there can be a USA / Canada Final.  I think it was set up that way on purpose. :)

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification....a decent chance the "uncatchable" NA team hurts a favourite...those damn kids are lightning fast....

27 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

Thornton clearly interference away from the puck so I don't like that.   No problem with the Tavares hit though.  

I liked the Thornton hit...Kesler is a weasel of a player and had it coming to him. Live by the sword...

When Tavares and Thornton are running you...you know you're a jerk.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I liked the Thornton hit...Kesler is a weasel of a player and had it coming to him. Live by the sword...

If the players voted on a most hated player, I'm pretty sure Kesler would win. He's great at being an antagonist, straddling the line between legal and Bulls**t. Marchand might get in your grill more, but Kesler has the size to back it up. Hope somebody on Team Canada (voting for Weber here) feeds him his lunch. Ryan is the kinda guy you hate to play against, unless he is on your team....that is...*if* he could ever make Canada....:canada:

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

If the players voted on a most hated player, I'm pretty sure Kesler would win. He's great at being an antagonist, straddling the line between legal and Bulls**t. Marchand might get in your grill more, but Kesler has the size to back it up. Hope somebody on Team Canada (voting for Weber here) feeds him his lunch. Ryan is the kinda guy you hate to play against, unless he is on your team....that is...*if* he could ever make Canada....:canada:

While I agree with you...Kesler rarely "backs it up". He turtles, hides behind refs, and dives. He can throw hits though....usually dirty.

On 8/23/2016 at 10:18 AM, intheslot said:

espn  will carry the games .....?

yes it will be hockey with the greatest players in the world playing ........................

Does this mean more Barry Melrose? No, no. NOOOOOO. Canada vs. the United States should be a CLASSIC. It usually is.

For those interested, Sportsnet in Canada is showing the final exhibition for team North America and team Czech right now. Ghost is on the top pp unit again. He stayed out there for the entire 2 min pp. Cooter playing his normal stellar defensive game. Neuvirth got the start for the Czechs leading 1-0 near the end of the 1st. Vorachek has had some nice shifts for the Czech, almost scored a few times.

On 2016-09-11 at 5:20 PM, flyercanuck said:

Thornton and Kesler have some history there haha. Kesler tries to pest annoy Jumbo and usually gets manhandled.

50 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Oh look....Kesler is still playing stupid hockey and taking dumb penalties....someone tell team USA that having goons with Tortellini coaching in an international tourney isn't getting you first pick in the draft.

For me, the really crazy choice was somebody like Jack Johnson being there over Andy Greene. I couldn't disagree more with that.

3 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Maybe some day the US will realize taking grinders to an international tournament doesn't work.

There was some VERY odd roster choices for the USA....If they were so big on size and speed, why is a kid like Chris Kreider being overlooked? He is the kinda grit that has a legit shot at scoring. The other ones that stuck out were leaving off Okposo (crazy...stick him with a good center and he will convert) and Shattenkirk being left home also. I realize they wanted big bruising dmen..but that is a pretty talented dude sitting at home. Yandle was another head scratcher..

7 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

There was some VERY odd roster choices for the USA....If they were so big on size and speed, why is a kid like Chris Kreider being overlooked? He is the kinda grit that has a legit shot at scoring. The other ones that stuck out were leaving off Okposo (crazy...stick him with a good center and he will convert) and Shattenkirk being left home also. I realize they wanted big bruising dmen..but that is a pretty talented dude sitting at home. Yandle was another head scratcher..

Exactly, Kessel too.  

Speed and Talent win these short tournaments.  One would think those in charge of Team USA would know that.

34 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Exactly, Kessel too.  

Speed and Talent win these short tournaments.  One would think those in charge of Team USA would know that.

Pretty sure that Kessel would have been invited, he had an injury that did not permit him to play, forget what the actual injury was...perhaps the razor sharp lids of those Pringle cans were involved.....:572958dca2943_scratcheshead:. That was a key loss, because he could have played on the top line LW and pushed Pacorietty down to the 2nd line, making that unit a lot more dangerous. The whole trickle down thing would have really helped in the scoring dept.

One promising thing for the Americans, should the USA lose another one like the Europe game, it will be the end of Fonzie in international tournaments, which is very nice, cause there is a LOT more smart hockey minds than that tool.

Archived