Crouse and Bolland to Coyotes

ezlot76

Well the Cats blunder again. Give up a promising power foward to dump salary. Maybe if they didnt overspend on Yandle we wouldn't have to try to save. So much for willing to spend right. news flash for NHL , any players you like on Panthers? we'll give them away for cheap!

Not Tallon anymore. In fact, while Tallon still with team( and i'm guessing not for long) everything new gm Rowe is doing seems to be like the Anti-Tallon move. Hes dumping all Tallons guys and his type of players. we are going to be softest team in league hate to say it

1 hour ago, ezlot76 said:

Not Tallon anymore. In fact, while Tallon still with team( and i'm guessing not for long) everything new gm Rowe is doing seems to be like the Anti-Tallon move. Hes dumping all Tallons guys and his type of players. we are going to be softest team in league hate to say it

Don't worry...there is stiff competition from Vancouver in that department....... :shifty:

Panthers have eight forwards under 25 under contract.

They have 10 guys who "can play" center (Bolland's position) and are fairly deep at LW (where Crouse plays).

So, Florida gets a couple of picks that should be fairly high up in the round and I really don't see how this has an adverse impact on the Panthers' "toughness" for next season given that Bolland might not even play. Bolland hasn't had a full season in four years (and it's not clear that he's worth anywhere near $5.5M).

Panthers also have Ekblad's $7.5M salary starting next season and they have $18M in cap space with Huberdeau, Pysyk and Petrovic upcoming RFAs.

I think this frees up space for them to add an impact player next offseason to be the player they had hoped Bolland would be (or make a move this season to do the same thing).

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

Panthers have eight forwards under 25 under contract.

They have 10 guys who "can play" center (Bolland's position) and are fairly deep at LW (where Crouse plays).

So, Florida gets a couple of picks that should be fairly high up in the round and I really don't see how this has an adverse impact on the Panthers' "toughness" for next season given that Bolland might not even play. Bolland hasn't had a full season in four years (and it's not clear that he's worth anywhere near $5.5M).

Panthers also have Ekblad's $7.5M salary starting next season and they have $18M in cap space with Huberdeau, Pysyk and Petrovic upcoming RFAs.

I think this frees up space for them to add an impact player next offseason to be the player they had hoped Bolland would be (or make a move this season to do the same thing).

Bolland is gone and forgotten. See little chance he plays next yr not concerned bout losing him at all. Hes y we made the deal to just dump salary. They have 0 lw that can play like Crouse has at leaset potential to do. draft picks we get back for him highly unlikely to do so either, considering he was picked #11 I beleive and been playing up to that potential in juniors. The cap space problem they created with a couple crazy contracts, so why create a problem just to scurry to solve it? we were going to be fine this season for sure. 

As far as toughness, he plays with an edge and not afraid to stick up for teamates, and with Gudbranson gone, is sorely needed on team. We got bullied out of playoffs last yr. We have very little guys that play with any kind of edge. we got Thorton, who can play limited minutes and Petrovic who is willing but will take tons of stupid penalties, hopefully he can mature a bit and control himself. Hes also a bottom pairing dman. Crouse's edge with his skill would have been very usefull on this soft team. We lost on this deal again. Hopefully they spend the money saved on something good next off season but if you follow our history....

2 hours ago, ezlot76 said:

Wow i did forget Tallon wasn't GM anymore but i still don't like the trade.

Panthers don't have any LW prospect with Crouse's upside and potential and if they had to move the Bolland contract should have been for picks and lesser talented prospect like the Wings did with Pavel.

Yotes win this big time. I'd love my Flyers to have  LW like Crouse.

@ezlot76

Yeah, I can see where you might want a guy who can plop himself in front of the net and get in people's face about being in front of yours.

But Crouse is still "just a prospect" and there's no guarantee he'll turn into anything.

Looking at pick 9-11 from 2000-2010, eight were pretty much outright busts (26.6%). And while there is a Jeff Crater and an Anze Kopitar in the mix, mostly you're looking at Froliks, Ruutus, Kostityns and Sjostroms.

So while it's possible Crouse is a Couture on the wing, it's also possible (if not more likely) he's an Eric Nystrom.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yotes win this big time. I'd love my Flyers to have  LW like Crouse.

Short term, the Yotes get the only player who's likely to take the ice so they "win" that. Long term, we'll see. Could work out well for both sides, especially if Florida flips that $5.5M in cap space into an actual $5.5M player...

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd love my Flyers to have  LW like Crouse.

Travis Konecny says "hello" (albeit from the right side)

That said, LW Taylor Leier has better Junior numbers than Crouse, massively outproduced him in the junior postseason and just put up 20/49 in the A.

:hocky:

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yeah, I can see where you might want a guy who can plop himself in front of the net and get in people's face about being in front of yours.

But Crouse is still "just a prospect" and there's no guarantee he'll turn into anything.

Looking at pick 9-11 from 2000-2010, eight were pretty much outright busts (26.6%). And while there is a Jeff Crater and an Anze Kopitar in the mix, mostly you're looking at Froliks, Ruutus, Kostityns and Sjostroms.

So while it's possible Crouse is a Couture on the wing, it's also possible (if not more likely) he's an Eric Nystrom.

Yes hes a prospect no doubt, why I mentioned potentially but while there are busts, i like the chances with him living up to potential than the players we'll get with the 2 picks. Bet the percentages on them pretty bad

Just now, ezlot76 said:

Yes hes a prospect no doubt, why I mentioned potentially but while there are busts, i like the chances with him living up to potential than the players we'll get with the 2 picks. Bet the percentages on them pretty bad

Percentages on drafts aren't all that great, no. Especially not the second/third rounds.

But, as I mentioned to Occ, the cap space was important for the Panthers and there is the question of what they do with it.

Believe me, I appreciate your displeasure with the braintrust down there (I haven't been happy with my own favorite organization since, oh, about the early to mid 1980s), but the Panthers do seem to be moving in a good direction.

That said, if they don't do anything significant with the space they got from ditching Bolland, this move sucks big time.

20 minutes ago, radoran said:

That said, LW Taylor Leier has better Junior numbers than Crouse, massively outproduced him in the junior postseason and just put up 20/49 in the A.

TK is a going to be a good skill set added to the forward group soon i can't deny but the Flyers sorely need some size on the wing and TK is all of what 5-10 176???

Leier 5-11 178??

Far far from 6-4 214 size that Crouse brings...and i won't even talk about junior production (Coots says hello)....

....besides Crouse producing at a 0.83 point per game pace to Leier's 0.90 point per game would be splitting hairs. Not to mention that Leier was surrounded by way better talent than Crouse.

And i would love to reunite best friends TK and Crouse....but that will never happen.

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

@ezlot76

Short term, the Yotes get the only player who's likely to take the ice so they "win" that. Long term, we'll see. Could work out well for both sides, especially if Florida flips that $5.5M in cap space into an actual $5.5M player...

:hocky:

Crouse also has an unmatched physical ability that neither Konecny or Leier can match. Crouse is a fine hockey player and he's going to perform well in Phoenix.  Still can't believe Crouse was given away for next to nothing. Tippett is going to love Crouse's game.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

TK is a going to be a good skill set added to the forward group soon i can't deny but the Flyers sorely need some size on the wing and TK is all of what 5-10 176???

Leier 5-11 178??

Far far from 6-4 214 size that Crouse brings...and i won't even talk about junior production (Coots says hello)....

....besides Crouse producing at a 0.83 point per game pace to Leier's 0.90 point per game would be splitting hairs.

You certainly can't teach someone how to be taller.

Just now, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Crouse also has an unmatched physical ability that neither Konecny or Leier can match. Crouse is a fine hockey player and he's going to perform well in Phoenix.  Still can't believe Crouse was given away for next to nothing. Tippett is going to love Crouse's game.

From Florida's perspective, the ability to free up $5.5M in cap space isn't "nothing" - even if we might not agree with them.

Again, the question is what Florida does with that space. If they do nothing with it, this is no doubt a terrible trade.

If they do something productive, it could work out fine for both sides here.

I like Crouse as a player and expect that he will be a productive NHL player. But is that a 20/50 guy or a Couture/Crater/Kopitar? I'd think more the former (with "upside") than the latter. YMMV. Time will tell.

37 minutes ago, radoran said:

You certainly can't teach someone how to be taller.

Not so sure they are working on it as we speak.............

Image result for stretching rack gif

.....G is the 1st test subject got to get him higher in the top 17!!! :ph34r:

Guys, honestly, I think the Florida Panthers are gonna be fine. At least they SHOULD.

Sure, they gave up a potential top six guy in Crouse, but @radoran made some good points about other prospects the Panthers have in the minors, the guys that are on the team NOW, plus the extra money freed up by unloading Bolland's crappy contract.

Not to mention Florida got a pair of picks out of the deal as well.

Sometimes, you just gotta give up something (in this case, Crouse) in order to either get something, or as was the case here, to get RID of something you really don't want (Bolland) and that's just what the Cats did here.

I can't say I blame Florida Panther fans for being mistrusting of what is going on behind the scenes, as I know they have seen some pretty messed up things go on over there, but I think the team FINALLY has some semblance of a core they can work with and are using other teams in their own division, such as the Leafs, Lightning, and Sabres, as templates (i.e. get younger, get lots of talented players to see who sticks, and try to get rid of overpriced vets)....all the while sifting through what they have and deciding who is a keeper for the now and the long term.

Now, as a Lightning fan, I don't want the Panthers to get TOO good, TOO quickly, mind you, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't secretly rooting for them to do well, so that finally, after all these years (since the inception of both the Bolts and Cats in fact), there can be a REAL state of Florida rivalry due to both teams being contenders....and not the manufactured garbage the media and the NHL has been trying to build up simply due to geography.

Dave Tallon set the ball in motion for this franchise with his work....now, all the new GM has to do is not fornicate anything up. Simple as following directions on a can of potted meat.

I suppose there is always the chance the new GM has his head so far up his rear end that he could screw up making toast, but for the here and now, let's just give him the benefit of the doubt and say he has a larger plan in mind with the moves he is making now in the same spirit of what Tallon started.

7 hours ago, ezlot76 said:

Well the Cats blunder again. Give up a promising power foward to dump salary. Maybe if they didnt overspend on Yandle we wouldn't have to try to save. So much for willing to spend right. news flash for NHL , any players you like on Panthers? we'll give them away for cheap!

I kind of get it.....

It has been established that you have to give something to get someone to take on an albatross contract. The Hawks were forced to give up Terrevainen to the Canes in order to dump Bickel. That set the standard.

Bolland has been a slug with the Cats, and Crouse has been okay but not great in Junior, whispers have begun already that he was potentially a waste as a first round pick. At best he is a third liner with some scoring ability, that is about it, dumping Bolland, giving up Crouse and adding a conditional second and third is not the worst trade ever.

From a "Yote stand point, they must see more out of Crouse than he has shown to date, I know they are always going to be playing around the cap floor and it is sad that the money involved is as important as the players.

Talent wise, Crouse for a second and third is probably a wash, the 'Yotes are always at the bottom of the pile so the picks will be relatively high, and getting rid of Bolland is huge.

I question the timing tho, Pirri signed with the Rags, Hudler is gone, dumping Bolland a week ago might have allowed the Cats to get one of them. While I am very high on this club, I worry about their depth including, especially their third line. Top nine forwards are:

Barkov, Trochek, Bjugstad, Hubderdeau, Jagr, Jokinen, Reilly Smith and ........

Well that is 7, I like Jarred McCann a lot and think he is a great fit with these guys. Number 9, well, I do not know, Marchessault maybe. Not much of a player.

So dumping Bolland allows them to add at least another top nine forward as camp draws near. I have to think this deal will lead to another.

I think Crouse is a relatively safe bet to be an NHL player. Whether it's as a 40-50 point top 6 forward, or a 20-30 point bottom 6 forward remains to be seen. Still, it seems like a lot to give up a top 15 pick that quickly just to get rid of Bolland.

Archived