Preseason - Flyers/Rangers, Oct 6 2016

brelic

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think Neuvirth has looked particularly good in preseason.   I hope that improves when it matters. 

Yes this wasn't encouraging......

...looked Bryzgalov-esque not even moving.........

Also Provy geting a stick on that pass on the odd man break the last minute of the 1st period was very impressive and (Kimmo like) except he stayed upright (when Kimmo usually slides taking himself out the play) and kept his man from getting to the loose puck after it bounced off his stick...bravo....

...i hope his D partner Streit was watching, i don't think i've seen Streit break up a two on one like that. Wise beyond bis years.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes this wasn't encouraging......

...looked Bryzgalov-esque not even moving.........

At first blush, I was thinking,  "great placement."   It is.  Just a really good shot. 

But yeah, he really was frozen.  And he also seems to look down to his five hole while the shot is already passed his shoulder.   I have a feeling he had no idea where that shot was until he heard it. 

He doesn't seem like he's tracking the puck well. It makes me hope it's focus and that it will hopefully improve in a real game.   

I have to say, though, that I don't really like the "real game"  thing this late in preseason. If he keeps it up, he'll make some decisions easier. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

At first blush, I was thinking,  "great placement."   It is.  Just a really good shot. 

But yeah, he really was frozen.  And he also seems to look down to his five hole while the shot is already passed his shoulder.   I have a feeling he had no idea where that shot was until he heard it. 

He doesn't seem like he's tracking the puck well. It makes me hope it's focus and that it will hopefully improve in a real game.   

I have to say, though, that I don't really like the "real game"  thing this late in preseason. If he keeps it up, he'll make some decisions easier. 

Yeah after rewatching that 1st goal, tip in right at the top of the crease was a bang bang play that i won't fault him so much for that would have been a hard one to stop and he almost had it after already sliding the other way....the 2nd one he should of had.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ghost lead all Dmen in minutes right at 5 minutes on the PP.

Provy was 2nd on minutes.

And MDZ got zero minutes on the PP...strange.

I suspect it might be to give Provorov and Ghost more minutes during preseason. MDZ played the least among defensemen at just 16 mins. 

If you look at the forwards, it's really interesting. Everyone is within the 12 to 16 minute range. The lone exception last night was Simmonds at 19:07 (4:36 on the PP, 2:40 on the PK). I know this is training camp, but this is a good sign for keeping players refreshed. No more 6-7-8 minute per night guys. We'd have en entire line of those guys - Shelley, Rinaldo, Brashear. 

Anyway, what I noticed last night is that we have four lines that can score. Cousins looked strong on the puck all night, and he played a team low 12:24. 

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah Provy is in there.

Now TK i thought might go back to juniors....

voracek-konecny.gif

...but he just can't....they said he has to earn a spot and without question he has all he has done is lead the team in points (3 goals 3 assist) while playing everywhere in the lineup....

konecny-voracek-2.gif

...what more does he have to do play goaltender?

BREAKING NEWS: Henrik Lundqvist has been sent to the Kitchener Rangers!!! 

What is the benefit for the franchise (monitarily) to hold these guys back?  If they bring them up to the NHL, how does that impact their contracts?

The reason I ask is because I think back to Ryan Howard not making the majors until he was 26, all because it benefied the Phillies monitarily to hold him back.  Is there anything like that going on here?

Yeah Provy is in there.

voracek-konecny.gif

...but he just can't....they said he has to earn a spot and without question he has all he has done is lead the team in points (3 goals 3 assist) while playing everywhere in the lineup....

konecny-voracek-2.gif

Yeah Provy is in there.

voracek-konecny.gif

konecny-voracek-2.gif

...what more does he have to do play goaltender?

BREAKING NEWS: Henrik Lundqvist has been sent to the Kitchener 

23 minutes ago, icehole said:

What is the benefit for the franchise (monitarily) to hold these guys back?  If they bring them up to the NHL, how does that impact their contracts?

The reason I ask is because I think back to Ryan Howard not making the majors until he was 26, all because it benefied the Phillies monitarily to hold him back.  Is there anything like that going on here?

The Phillies had Jim Thome at first base, which blocked Howard. It didn't have much to do with Howard's contract which would have been (much) cheaper than Thome's (which averaged $14M). When Thome went down with an injury and Howard stepped up, the Phillies traded Thome to make room.

The Flyers "benefit" with not bringing up Junior players is that it delays when their entry-level deal (ELC) starts. Players reach UFA status at age 27 or after 7 years of NHL service.

For example, Sean Couturier came right in at 18 and started his entry-level deal. So he was on track to be a UFA at age 25 instead of age 27 and he needed a new deal at age 21. Brayden Schenn's ELC "slid" in it's first year, so he was on track to be a UFA at 26 and needed a post-ELC deal at 22. Scott Laughton "slid" for two seasons so, at 22, he's just reaching the end of his ELC and will need a new deal at 23.

1 hour ago, canoli said:

To nobody in particular....yeesh you guys are a tough crowd. Kreider's goal was point-blank...I mean like 6' away. You really think he shoulda had that one? 

Yeah that's what I thought too, it was a hell of a shot, with a lot of room and time to make it.  Most NHL players score in that situation.  Even though I think Krieder is a loser, douchebag he does have speed and talent and i'll bet he's 85-90% from that spot in that situation. 

TK's shortside glove hand goal vs the King; so was that the King wondering whom he was going to bang later and "oh **** that kid's got the puck on his stick " on or a great shot ? because I can't remember seeing Lundquist beaten on the AHL side like that in years .  Nor can I remember a Flyer picking a spot like that at speed and hitting it. 

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The Phillies had Jim Thome at first base, which blocked Howard. It didn't have much to do with Howard's contract which would have been (much) cheaper than Thome's (which averaged $14M). When Thome went down with an injury and Howard stepped up, the Phillies traded Thome to make room.

The Flyers "benefit" with not bringing up Junior players is that it delays when their entry-level deal (ELC) starts. Players reach UFA status at age 27 or after 7 years of NHL service.

For example, Sean Couturier came right in at 18 and started his entry-level deal. So he was on track to be a UFA at age 25 instead of age 27 and he needed a new deal at age 21. Brayden Schenn's ELC "slid" in it's first year, so he was on track to be a UFA at 26 and needed a post-ELC deal at 22. Scott Laughton "slid" for two seasons so, at 22, he's just reaching the end of his ELC and will need a new deal at 23.

So it looks like it might benefit them in the long run to keep the young guys back.  I hope Hexy isn't pulling any of this hanky-panky. 

Last night was the first real chunk of preseason hockey I've seen this year.  I was pleasantly surprised.  PP looked good, Jake took his time and roofed one, couturier had a nice deflection, and TK sniped one.  Overall, I thought the flyers hemmed the Rangers in a lot and there was just more overall speed and puck movement.

I think the young guys will get an NHL audition due to injury...I just hope they don't get sent back to juniors for manning and Laughton  (and I like manning and laughton).  I would rather see them replace MacDonald and Read.

Just now, icehole said:

So it looks like it might benefit them in the long run to keep the young guys back.  I hope Hexy isn't pulling any of this hanky-panky. 

Last night was the first real chunk of preseason hockey I've seen this year.  I was pleasantly surprised.  PP looked good, Jake took his time and roofed one, couturier had a nice deflection, and TK sniped one.  Overall, I thought the flyers hemmed the Rangers in a lot and there was just more overall speed and puck movement.

I think the young guys will get an NHL audition due to injury...I just hope they don't get sent back to juniors for manning and Laughton  (and I like manning and laughton).  I would rather see them replace MacDonald and Read.

I take Hextall at his word that if a player shows that they can play every night in the NHL and contribute then they will be on the team.

Exactly what happened with Gotstobehere.

I think Provorov has shown that. Konecny IMO has outplayed Laughton and likely Read as well.

The only real concern is durability over an 82-game schedule.

I, for one, would waive Read and keep both of them.

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

I take Hextall at his word that if a player shows that they can play every night in the NHL and contribute then they will be on the team.

Exactly what happened with Gotstobehere.

I think Provorov has shown that. Konecny IMO has outplayed Laughton and likely Read as well.

The only real concern is durability over an 82-game schedule.

I, for one, would waive Read and keep both of them.

Agreed...   I think they both earned a spot.  If Hextall sends either back IMO it really will really make me question Hextall's approach since he has told us more than once that if a player earns it he will stick around.  Both of these kids look ready...

2 hours ago, canoli said:

To nobody in particular....yeesh you guys are a tough crowd. Kreider's goal was point-blank...I mean like 6' away. You really think he shoulda had that one? 

I'm completely with you.  It was a hell of a shot.   I actually have no problem with giving up that goal.  My problem with it was only that Neuvirth looked like he had no idea where it was.  I mean, he looked down.    Maybe he was simply trying to guess where it was going and guessed wrong and that's all we're seeing.  That's possible.  

23 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Agreed...   I think they both earned a spot.  If Hextall sends either back IMO it really will really make me question Hextall's approach since he has told us more than once that if a player earns it he will stick around.  Both of these kids look ready...

I'm hoping they'll at least keep him the 9 games to buy time to figure something out with roster room.

I agree waive Read and keep TK with the Flyers, problem solved. I like Matt Read but I like Konecny a lot more....for entertainment value alone but also he's simply got way more potential to help the Flyers this year.

Archived