Preseason - Flyers/Rangers, Oct 6 2016

brelic

Provorov paired with Streit tonight.

Gudas/MDZ

Ghost/Schultz

And apparently Konecny with Bellemare and Weise. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20161006_Ivan_Provorov_impresses_Mark_Streit_with_his_poise.html

Travis Konecny is expected to play left wing Thursday on a line with center Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and Dale Weise. Boyd Gordon will center the fourth line, and Nick Cousins will move from center to left wing. "That versatility gives him another tool in the drawer, so to speak," Hakstol said of Cousins. . . . Defenseman Andrew MacDonald, who has played a top-four role in the preseason, will be given Thursday off. . . . The Flyers will have a morning skate Thursday at 10:30 in Voorhees before heading to New York.

From Meltzer:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Preseason-Gameday-10616-vs-NYR/45/79697

In their next-to-last game of the 2016 preseason, the Philadelphia Flyers (3-2-1) are at Madison Square Garden on Thursday to take on the New York Rangers. Game time is 7 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NHL Network.

The Flyers will hold a morning skate in Voorhees at 10:30 a.m. before leaving for New York. 

Forward Scott Laughton suffered a lower-body injury (suspected to be a foot injury) at practice on Wednesday. The Flyers hope to know more on Thursday. Additionally, defenseman Brandon Manning is reportedly dealing with an injury of some sort. 

With Steve Mason's fiancee scheduled to deliver a baby girl on Thursday, Michal Neuvirth will get the start in net for the Flyers against the Rangers. The Flyers will take along Anthony Stolarz to back up Neuvirth.

The Flyers' likely starting lineup:

Brayden Schenn - Claude Giroux - Wayne Simmonds
Michael Raffl - Sean Couturier - Jakub Voracek
Travis Konecny - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Dale Weise
Nick Cousins- Boyd Gordon - Jordan Weal

Michael Del Zotto - Radko Gudas
Nick Schultz - Shayne Gostisbehere
Ivan Provorov - Mark Streit

Michal Neuvirth
[Anthony Stolarz]

The final preseason game is on Saturday in Boston.

The Flyers expect the Rangers and Bruins (Saturday in Boston) to go with a near-full NHL lineup, which raises the stakes for Konecny.

Management needs to see how Konecny fares under those conditions before deciding whether he returns to his junior club in Sarnia.

So, if that's the case, why would they stick Konecny on the 4th line against a near-NHL roster? How will that help them to see what he can bring? To get a look at his checking/defensive game?

I'm glad the O and B bounced back from a deficit.  Neuvy got better as the game passed. Team speed is vastly better than prior editions.  Jake is out to prove last year was a fluke. He looks fired up.

Nice come back win too....TK made Henrik look like he should be sent back to juniors on that last score....

...oh yeah please get Ghost a solid partner and not a boat anchor...hell give him Provy those two would be a solid groupi think....pair em up for the Boston game!!!

i know that wasn't the full Rangers lineup but I like our team's play 5 on 5.  I think we look faster than last year, I think we look like we know what we're doing.  Provorov looks ready, TK looks ready too.  I think our guys will be a team no one wants to play this year. I like Dale Weiss, I think 93 looks ready to play.  For the first time in about 5 years i'm feeling pretty good about the Flyers, no dread.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know it's just preseason but both those goals Neuvy looked leaky on....you have to make those when the games count...i guess everyone has kinks to work out

I don't think Neuvirth has looked particularly good in preseason.   I hope that improves when it matters. 

If 93 was a running back he would be going north/south this year so far.  Last year he seem to spend so much effort going east/west.  Lots of effort but no result.  This year he looks very good.  He seems to be skating as good if not better than he ever has.  He certainly stood out IMHO.

I was just happy to see the O&B make some tape to tape passes.  Others comments in this tread note the team looks faster and I agree.  However I saw more skill and players able to actually give and receive passes. 

I don't know if tonight will be indicative of the rest of this season but hopefully it is indicative of the long term direction of the team. 

7 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Konecny and Provorov both have to be on this team. 

They're ready 

Yeah Provy is in there.

Now TK i thought might go back to juniors....

voracek-konecny.gif

...but he just can't....they said he has to earn a spot and without question he has all he has done is lead the team in points (3 goals 3 assist) while playing everywhere in the lineup....

konecny-voracek-2.gif

...what more does he have to do play goaltender?

BREAKING NEWS: Henrik Lundqvist has been sent to the Kitchener Rangers!!! 

Archived