Provorov and Konecny make the team

swflyers28

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I have utterly no doubt that he has the skills.  We've been watching it for a few years now.

What he has not has is anyone to pass to or take a pass from.  

What we started to see last season was the offense figuring out how to enter the zone and create opportunities and essentially get open.  

As much as I love Jake and Simmer and Schenn and as not crappy as Raffl is, none of these guys have what I'd consider a soft touch or great hands.  They all excel when they play hard and go straight to the net.  This makes it more difficult for their centers (Giroux and Coots) to make great plays with them.    Coots started to have more success by capitalizing on both himself and his line mates going straight down the gullet to the net.  He made some nice passes capitalizing on the threat of doing that.  It started to work.  But he's made great exits and entries and has great positioning almost the whole time he's been here.  What he hasn't been able to do is connect because his wingers can't get off or receive clean passes.  

This is what the team intrinsically lost when Jagr walked and which they never bothered to recover.  Sometimes a really good coach can work through it.  Berube was not that guy.  Hak maybe is... but he didn't care about entering the zone until the middle to late last season.  He wanted the fundamentals of the neutral zone, protecting and exiting his own zone down first.  Then the transition game started to come.  We saw it from almost everyone from like February on... then Jake and Coots got hurt and it got rough again.  

I agree that putting Konecny on his line will create more space and more opportunity.  Their skill sets are decent and I love the other wingers, but they're all too similar in their strengths and that makes them easier to defend against.  They needed more skill.  Konex has it.  Hopefully he stays healthy enough to utilize it efficiently!

Boy, I agree with all of that.  You may have said it so I'm sorry if I'm repeating you, but I would also add speed to the increased skill.   Without skill the speed probably wouldn't matter as much, but I think the fact that TK and Voracek have more speed will open up additional opportunity for Couturier both to get his own scoring chances and also create space for him to create more, too.   He also may not have to worry as much about getting caught since his wingers should be able to get back.  Good things all around.

I should also clarify my "put up or shut up" thing.  I haven't been in the dump on Couturier camp.   I've been in the "but...but...the wingers" and the "but..but...defensive zone starts" camp.  

But these wingers, I think, will be the proof of that position.  For better or for worse.   Hopefully--and I expect!--for the better.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I guess not officially...  That's Hakstol's prerogative really, right?  That could change minute by minute.  

But judging by the effect he had on that line in the pre-season, it's difficult to imagine they wouldn't start by trying it out, right?

Yes I guess so. I didn't realize he was playing with him in the pre-season, lol. Want he with Jake and Giroux at one point?

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Boy, I agree with all of that.  You may have said it so I'm sorry if I'm repeating you, but I would also add speed to the increased skill.   Without skill the speed probably wouldn't matter as much, but I think the fact that TK and Voracek have more speed will open up additional opportunity for Couturier both to get his own scoring chances and also create space for him to create more, too.   He also may not have to worry as much about getting caught since his wingers should be able to get back.  Good things all around.

I should also clarify my "put up or shut up" thing.  I haven't been in the dump on Couturier camp.   I've been in the "but...but...the wingers" and the "but..but...defensive zone starts" camp.  

But these wingers, I think, will be the proof of that position.  For better or for worse.   Hopefully--and I expect!--for the better.

Here's hoping!

At least this provides some hope beyond the usual, "Maybe they just all got better?" we have every other year. :)

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yes I guess so. I didn't realize he was playing with him in the pre-season, lol. Want he with Jake and Giroux at one point?

Maybe on the PP?

It seemed like as soon as Jake got back for that Rangers game, the three of them seemed to gel very well together resulting in a couple of goals per game between them (except of course for the last game).  

Just some of the kid's moves.....

provy-positioning

And now a very smart Kimmo-esque move using his body well...i don't see some vets on this team do this...

provy-chip.gif

...even Kimmo took himself out of the play sliding like this...but not Ivan...savvy as hell...

provy-2-1.gif

provy-patience.gif

provy-pass-nz.gif

provystretchwealfinish.gif

...he and TK on this one....

tk-goal.gif

I figured Provs would get the #9.....he wore it all through his jr career in Brandon, seems to have special significance to him.  It's very cool that such an important rookie can get a number like 9, it's rare to see a rook get a single digit like that. I've been waiting for conformation to get a Prov jersey. TK getting #11 is also cool looking.

Just saw this little tidbit, apparently Johnny Gaudreau is from the Philly area, and has named the Flyers as one of the 5 teams he can be traded to, should the need arise. He has already stated he would like to play in Philly near the end of his career, of course, he would be welcomed with open arms!!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Johnny-Gaudreau-would-come-home-to-the-Flyers-in-a-trade-five-years-from-now.html

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I figured Provs would get the #9.....he wore it all through his jr career in Brandon, seems to have special significance to him.  It's very cool that such an important rookie can get a number like 9, it's rare to see a rook get a single digit like that. I've been waiting for conformation to get a Prov jersey. TK getting #11 is also cool looking.

Just saw this little tidbit, apparently Johnny Gaudreau is from the Philly area, and has named the Flyers as one of the 5 teams he can be traded to, should the need arise. He has already stated he would like to play in Philly near the end of his career, of course, he would be welcomed with open arms!!

9 is a perfect number for Provorov- what more can I say... :CelebratingSmiley2:

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Just saw this little tidbit, apparently Johnny Gaudreau is from the Philly area, and has named the Flyers as one of the 5 teams he can be traded to, should the need arise.

Make the trade NOW.

Streit and Read for Gaudreau.   Make it happen.

On 10/10/2016 at 1:46 PM, MaineFlyFan said:

You know...I think Provorov will handle the pressure just fine. Kid was playing HUGE minutes in pre-season in all situations and seems to be miles ahead in maturity and mentality than most his age. Could have something to do with leaving your entire family, culture, language, and everything behind at a very young age, to chase your dream in the USA....and then KILLING it by mastering the lanuage, and making the Flyers out of Juniors! WINNING! :)

AND, he's Russian! Russians are either completely INSANE (see Bryz) or completely over the top dedicated to the task at hand. I think the 2nd is the case for Provorov. I'm pumped to watch him and Ghost for many years hopefully!

Provorovs younger brother was born on the 9th...that's why he wears it.

33 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Provorovs younger brother was born on the 9th...that's why he wears it.

I thought there also was a story i read where his grandfather wore #9 as well.

Don't hold me to that my brain is still foggy and i'm not finished with my morning coffee....

:hocky:

9 hours ago, jammer2 said:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Johnny-Gaudreau-would-come-home-to-the-Flyers-in-a-trade-five-years-from-now.html

Well if the price is right in 5 years time then it's something for Hexie to consider. As for Provs, I'm looking forward to watching him play and develop, hopefully he plays like Mark Howe.

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He just signed a new deal :(

Do we want 3 x $8 Million dollar men?  

He isn't making 8 mill.

His AAV is only 6.7mill....but he is a 30 goal scorer...

...the other two 8 mill guys have yet to do that though...

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

43 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, maybe not.  Moving along... 

If they can move Giroux or Jake in 5 years time however, I think the idea of acquiring him in the final year of that contract as people are chattering about might be a very awesome idea.  

Hell, in five years send the Flames Jake and G!  

Just now, Mad Dog said:

And Nick Cousins on the top PP unit.  Hopefully he is ready.

I'm surprised they went with Cousins and not Raffl. I do like that they're going to keep the 2nd unit intact during Schenn's suspension, rather than shuffle everyone around for three games.

Archived