Game #8 - Coyotes (5) at Flyers (4) - Oct 27, 2016 @ 7:00 ET

brelic

LOL, love Chris Pronger and Pavel Datsyuk as ‘scratches’ for the Coyotes. If that’s not cap circumvention, I don’t know what is. It’s hard to take this league seriously sometimes.

We’re facing off against Luke Schenn, Ryan White, and Tye McGinn’s older brother Jamie.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Gameday-Preview-Flyers-vs-CoyotesFlyers—Hall-of-Fame-Night/45/80214

Team W L OTL PTS GF GA PP PK STREAK
Flyers 3 3 1 7 24 25 26.9% 73.1% Won 1
Coyotes 1 5 0 2 17 26 14.3% 72.2% Lost 5

Projected Lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

10 Brayden Schenn - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
11 Travis Konecny - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
24 Matt Read -76 P-E Bellemare - 25 Nick Cousins
76 Chris VandeVelde - 27 Boyd Gordon - 22 Dale Weise

32 Mark Streit - 3 Radko Gudas
9 Ivan Provorov - 23 Brandon Manning
47 Andrew MacDonald - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Michael Del Zotto (LTIR), Scott Laughton (LTIR), Michael Raffl (IR, upper body), Nick Schultz (healthy), Taylor Leier (healthy), Roman Lyubimov (healthy).

COYOTES

(per Dailyfaceoff.com)

16 Max Domi - 11 Martin Hanzal- 17 Radim Vrbata
88 Jamie McGinn - 48 Jordan Martinook - 10 Anthony Duclair
8 Tobias Rieder - 12 Brad Richardson - 19 Shane Doan
67 Lawson Crouse - 18 Christian Dvorak - 25 Ryan White

23 Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 5 Connor Murphy
33 Alex Goligoski - 26 Michael Stone
6 Jakob Chychrun - 2 Luke Schenn

35 Louis Domingue / 40 Justin Peters

Scratches: Laurent Dauphin (healthy), Dylan Strome (healthy), Kevin Connauton (healthy), Mike Smith (IR, lower body), Jarred Tinordi (20-game NHL suspension for violating the performance-enhancing drug policy), Dave Bolland (LTIR, back and ankle, unlikely to play again), Chris Pronger (LTIR/retired, salary cap floor contract acquisition), Pavel Datsyuk (KHL, salary cap floor contract acquisition).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Coyotes have one win. -sigh- At least the Flyers got a point out of the game.

Mason seems to be getting in the groove. Another good game would be nice to get him rolling into Pittsburgh Saturday night. Then Neuvirth can start V. Carolina.

A bit annoyed that Lyubimov came out. He's been quite noticeable in a good way while Weise was suspended. We may need to pay someone to kidnap Vandevelde.

Also, I would have thought that Leier would have been returned.

FYI...Dave Issac posted these from practice about an hour ago.  Honestly, not sure what to think.  Break up the season's best line?  Guess we'll see how it works.

FLYERS PROJECTED LINEUP

Forwards
11-Travis Konecny, 28-Claude Giroux, 93-Jake Voracek

24-Matt Read, 14-Sean Couturier, 17-Wayne Simmonds

10-Brayden Schenn, 25-Nick Cousins, 22-Dale Weise

76-Chris VandeVelde, 78-Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, 13-Roman Lyubimov

Defensemen
47-Andrew MacDonald & 53-Shayne Gostisbehere

9-Ivan Provorov & 23-Brandon Manning

32-Mark Streit & 3-Radko Gudas

Goalie
35-Steve Mason

Injuries/Suspensions
D Michael Del Zotto — injured reserve, left knee injury
LW Scott Laughton — injured reserve, "lower-body injury"
LW Michael Raffl — injured reserve, "upper-body injury"

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

LOL, love Chris Pronger and Pavel Datsyuk as 'scratches' for the Coyotes. If that's not cap circumvention, I don't know what is. It's hard to take this league seriously sometimes.

What doesn't make sense is that the 'Yotes are at the CEILING. I don't think Pronger and Datsyuk are actually on LTIR, but Bolland is because they needed cap space.

13 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

FYI...Dave Issac posted these from practice about an hour ago.  Honestly, not sure what to think.  Break up the season's best line?  Guess we'll see how it works.

FLYERS PROJECTED LINEUP

Forwards

Defensemen

Goalie
35-Steve Mason

Injuries/Suspensions

Really? Gordon as a healthy scratch?

25 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

What doesn't make sense is that the 'Yotes are at the CEILING. I don't think Pronger and Datsyuk are actually on LTIR, but Bolland is because they needed cap space.

Pronger is on IR.

Datsyuk isn't eligible for IR because he's not injured (if he gets injured in the KHL, can they IR him in the NHL? :DancingGrape:)

38 minutes ago, brelic said:

LOL, love Chris Pronger and Pavel Datsyuk as ‘scratches’ for the Coyotes. If that’s not cap circumvention, I don’t know what is. It’s hard to take this league seriously sometimes.

Certainly hard to take the ownership seriously. The guys who absolutely had to cancel a season and a half of hockey in the name of "fiscal responsibility"?

Yeah, them.

52 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

I agree, not sure about breaking up 11-14-93 after they have been the best line this season. The bigger mystery is how Art Vandalay remains in the lineup over Gordon? He really must have done Hak some favors while at UND.

6 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I agree, not sure about breaking up 11-14-93 after they have been the best line this season. The bigger mystery is how Art Vandalay remains in the lineup over Gordon? He really must have done Hak some favors while at UND.

No kidding! He's a lousy architect and his hockey play hasn't impressed me much either.  

1 hour ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Two schools of thought on this right? 

Spread the scoring through 3 lines or load up 1/2 lines.

I've wanted 11-28-93 since I saw Konecny highlights in Ottawa.  The vision of Giroux with the speed/finishing/hands of Jake & Konecny could be something beautiful in the making.  If they are kept together I could see Giroux/Jake putting up Jagr era type numbers again.  

I think a number of us have been saying that Giroux needs a LW'er.  Well, I can't think of anyone better on this team then Konecny at the moment.  Read, Schenn, Raffl aren't the answers.  This gives the chance to have 10-14-17 together as a 2nd line and that's not a shabby one either.

What does piss me off is when they switch up the lines every few games.  Let's stick to lines for 30-40 games and let some chemistry happen. 

11-28-93

10-14-17

24-25-22

76-78-13

When Raffl comes back he needs to earn his way back up.

I don't disagree with you about that 1st line, but like you, the constant tinkering is a bit ridiculous.  Granted, some of that was necessary with Schenn out for 3 games, but now I wish they'd set it/forget it for a while.

The 2nd line doesn't do much to inspire fear,IMO.  At least with Jake/G separated, team's had to pick their poison from a defensive standpoint. Schenn potted one last game...maybe he's waking up.  I still think him/Konecny are the top 2 LW's..not Read.  Regardless of how well Read has played/started.  

1 hour ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

I don't disagree with you about that 1st line, but like you, the constant tinkering is a bit ridiculous.  Granted, some of that was necessary with Schenn out for 3 games, but now I wish they'd set it/forget it for a while.

The 2nd line doesn't do much to inspire fear,IMO.  At least with Jake/G separated, team's had to pick their poison from a defensive standpoint. Schenn potted one last game...maybe he's waking up.  I still think him/Konecny are the top 2 LW's..not Read.  Regardless of how well Read has played/started.  

I don't disagree.  I would have liked to see Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds for a couple more games, but I believe Schenn and Simmonds are redundant on the same line.   Honestly, Schenn still screws up the works for me.   I wouldn't have minded Read-Giroux-Konecny, actually.   But you're wasting Schenn and Simmonds (in particular) on the 3rd line then.

So as reported is fine for me.  Doesn't matter.  It'll be changed by next Wednesday (if not sooner) anyway.

Any way you slice it, there will be a roster spot battle very soon.

When Raffl and Laughton come back, I’d like to see:

LW Center RW
Konecny Giroux Voracek
Schenn Couturier Simmonds
Read Cousins Raffl
Bellemare Gordon Laughton

Extras
VandeVelde, Lyubimov.

I also wonder how much, if any, VV's playing time has to do with expansion draft. Is he a UFA after the year?

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

LW Center RW
Konecny Giroux Voracek
Read Cousins Raffl

Extras
VandeVelde, Lyubimov.

I also wonder how much, if any, VV's playing time has to do with expansion draft. Is he a UFA after the year?

Weise?

Nevermind  Someone else will probably be hurt by then.  

I seem to remember Read Simmonds and Couturier or was that Schenn playing pretty well together for a stretch 2 seasons ago? and then they were never back together again. With Read playing like he is, I don't have an issue with this at all. TK on the ice with Jake and Giroux should be exciting at the very least.

5 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

FLYERS PROJECTED LINEUP

Forwards

Defensemen

Goalie
35-Steve Mason

Injuries/Suspensions

I don't know...I kind of like it.  The second line has been the most affective, but were those players the best they could be where they were at?  28+11 excites me, and 93+28 have had success in the past.  14 might feel shafted a little, but 24 has been a nice surprise and 17 will probably end up with the most goals on the team by the end of season.  There's a little talent and a lot of toughness on the third line, and the fourth....well, they can kill PKs right?

Its a move to try and get G going with the goal scoring. 

Only thing is it could be the easiest way of shutting down the Flyers O  with top pairing D .

Team play is the way they win looking for a big team effort ..

Let Go Flyers.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

LW Center RW
Konecny Giroux Voracek
Read Cousins Raffl

Extras
VandeVelde, Lyubimov.

Can we please substitute Lyubimov for Gordon?   Gordon does absolutely nothing for me since he left Sesame Street.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I don't like all three of Giroux, Voracek, and Konecny on the same line. It's all of your eggs in one basket on the top line as far as speed and quickness.

I agree.  I like Giroux and Konecny.   But I want Simmonds pesting in front of the net.  Or Schenn.

Then put Voracek back with Couturier.   

Archived