Schenn

AbelMorpheus

On 10/28/2016 at 1:49 PM, pilldoc said:

Agree.  Sadly Schenn and Richards will go hand in hand.  Many look at the comments that where made by Homer at the time of the trade.....

https://www.nhl.com/news/prospect-schenn-could-help-flyers-immediately/c-567047

"When Philadelphia Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren was discussing the returns he got from Thursday's blockbuster trades of Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, he called Brayden Schenn "probably the best young player outside the NHL."

Holmgren isn't the only hockey figure to feel that way about Schenn, and it's a big reason Philadelphia wanted him in the deal that sent Richards, Philadelphia's captain, to the
Los Angeles Kings.

"Brayden Schenn is little bit of a diamond in the rough here," Holmgren said. "Do we take a step back with him? I don't know. He's a tremendous young player and I look forward to seeing him over the next number of years in our organization."

Right there was the kiss of death.  Many would think that by the way Homer spoke, Schenn should have been a 5 time All Star by now.  Also note that Homer said, "Brayden Schenn is little bit of a diamond in the rough here". 

To me that means Schenn had a lot of room to grow.  As was noted somewhere above, Schenn has improved his point totals each of the last few seasons.  Eight games into the season is way too small a sample size to judge Schenn, especially considering he missed the first 3 games due to a suspension.

Sadly as I have mentioned numerous times, many of Flyers fans are simply to impatient with the development of younger players.

We are far enough removed from the trade and he has been here long enough that if anyone is still comparing him to Richards, they lose credibility with me; because they are clearly different players.

This thread shouldn't even exist at this point in the season, after his best season as a pro.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

It’s not a player’s fault if somebody incorrectly describes what kind of player he is before even playing in the league.

I also think a part of it is that he’s just kind of there. His numbers aren’t bad at all, but he’s not really a standout player.

This.  I think those two statements together are the crux of it.  Like him or not, you were aware of Richards.   There are periods, games, weeks where you ask yourself, "Did Schenn play?"

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

This.  I think those two statements together are the crux of it.  Like him or not, you were aware of Richards.   There are periods, games, weeks where you ask yourself, "Did Schenn play?"

Even when he scores.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I often think that about some others on this team too....not just the good Schenn

I think it's mostly because Schenn doesn't have that "grind-it-out" look to his game.  He floats around and waits for his opportunity to strike.  People perceive that as being lazy sometimes.

He's not a complete player, but he's probably the 4th best player on the team right now.  All four of those players play with an edge too.  Schenn was the best hitter in the playoffs last year and I like that edge to his game.

8 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

We are far enough removed from the trade and he has been here long enough that if anyone is still comparing him to Richards, they lose credibility with me; because they are clearly different players.

This thread shouldn't even exist at this point in the season, after his best season as a pro.

Bingo!   

Good to see you back @fanaticV3.0

On 10/28/2016 at 8:05 PM, icehole said:

I agree.  Mac takes more bashing than he should, but he's not very good.  I don't know why Schultz gets scratched.  To be honest, he might be the best defensive defenseman on the team.  Everyone wants Karlsson from every defenseman, but you need some balance with some stay at home defense.  

I think the weakest link on D is streit.  He's as bad as Mac, but older and slower.

While I agree do believe that McDud deserves every criticism he gets.   He is just not a good player and is paid a ridiculous amount of money.   I usually don't hate players, except Rinaldo, but McDud just sucks.

Wow................., check all you guys out. Did I maybe happen to touch a nerve? I thought this was an opinion/ discussion group.  I suddenly feel like I got transported back to Philly.com where you brought something up and everyone turned into a diq.  I don't like Schenn! I never have! That's my opinion! I don't have graphs or pie charts explaining my disdain, I just don't like him, I never have. I don't think he tries hard enough. I think he has the God given ability.....but I think he's lazy. You wanna bust my balls about that?  Good for you. 

3 hours ago, AbelMorpheus said:

Wow................., check all you guys out. Did I maybe happen to touch a nerve? I thought this was an opinion/ discussion group.  I suddenly feel like I got transported back to Philly.com where you brought something up and everyone turned into a diq.  I don't like Schenn! I never have! That's my opinion! I don't have graphs or pie charts explaining my disdain, I just don't like him, I never have. I don't think he tries hard enough. I think he has the God given ability.....but I think he's lazy. You wanna bust my balls about that?  Good for you. 

Wow!  You sound exactly like me with couturier.  It's opposite though.  I don't like a guy because he tries hard but doesn't have the ability to be a good player.  You don't like a guy because he has the ability to be a good player but doesn't look like he tries hard.  Would you rather have the hard worker that doesn't put up the numbers, or the guy who doesn't give 100% but puts up the numbers?

Oh, and you don't need pie charts for schenn...those are the couturier supporters.  Schenn's stats are pretty simple...just look at the third column on any stat page.  He's also one of the tougher guys on the team, if you like that sort of thing

10 hours ago, AbelMorpheus said:

Well, it's not exactly like you expressed any kind of articulate opinion . 

"He sucks ."  Good for you .  All hail Abel's "opinion,"  with no support , no reason , no nothing .   Good for you .  You irrationally dislike the guy .  You're welcome to it . 

Someone give Abel an AYSO trophy just for showing up . 

A discussion/opinion board ?   Yeah,  that's EXACTLY  what has gone on in this thread after the fairly empty topic starter.  Except that it hasn't been "i hate him/I love him "  ad nauseum.  It's NOT a discussion or opinion board at all if someone comes on and "he sucks"  with nothing other than fingers in ears "that's my opinion!"  and no one is allowed to counter the opinion with, you know, actual reality.

There's been discussion of why and attempts to support position .  You know , like a discussion and opinion board .  Opinion isn't just blurting out something . It's stating why and then supporting it . 

You ought to try it . 

18 hours ago, ruxpin said:

... and if we were still paying for Richards albatross contract we'd be saying "Anybody seen Mike Richards?"  ... but then hey we'd all be in agreement.   :eyeroll:

18 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

yup totally agree...I was just making reference that there are some fans who will always compare the two and the fact it was Schenn who came to the Flyers when Richards was traded.  To me that trade happened eons ago and is but a distant memory.  I also agree it was a very unfair comparison made by Homer at that time.

8 hours ago, AbelMorpheus said:

Having said what I did above...

I'm kind of like you in the sense that I'm not really a fan of Schenn.  I don't hate him.  I don't think he "sucks," but...well, I don't know what I want to see.   Others here correctly point out that he's young, his numbers have improved every year, etc.    It's not like I want to trade him because what do you get back that produces the numbers he does?

So, I've ended up on this thread with a self-diagnosis of what I don't like and what I want to see.   I don't think I've come up with a rational answer to that yet.

You see the incredible pass he made on Vandevelde's goal.  I mean, that was skill, vision, etc., all wrapped into one.   And you sit there thinking, "why don't we see more of that?"   I think maybe I see flashes of really high end play and then not.   So maybe more consistency?   I don't know.   His increasing numbers seem to point to more consistency, but the honest truth was that his numbers last year were largely second half.     If he continues that, there's not a lot to complain about.   That may not stop me for awhile.

Ultimately, for me, there are more pressing concerns than Schenn so I don't beat up on him too often.  Of the top 6-9 players, I still think the criticism of Couturier is a bit more warranted in terms of offense.  That's the discussion of Corsi and graphs or pie charts (I love that line!) because his value is hidden in defensive stuff  (although I don't think he's been as effective there so far this year--maybe the pie charts belie that).    

If you don't like Schenn, I get it.   We all have that player.  Sometimes it's rational, sometimes it's not.  But if you don't have a reason other than "I don't like him" or even a vague "he doesn't try hard enough" (I think I feel the same way, actually), expect people to argue against it.  It's part of the territory.

We were talking about it in the chat. It's tough because I don't think he was trying to hit Miller. It almost looks like Miller puts his head down into Schenn as he jumps by. That said, I don't know exactly what Schenn WAS trying to do there, and he did hit Miller in the head, and definitely left his feet. It's a somewhat bizarre play.

9 hours ago, AbelMorpheus said:

No, you just said something so completely, utterly, and totally wrong that it united the entire board.

Archived