Beer league goaltending killing the Flyers

Samifan

Last years positive has been this years negative. The Flyers are averaging 3.6 goals per game and only the NYR have scored more goals this season yet the Flyers sit at .500 and have a negative goal differential. I realize there have been defensive breakdowns, forwards guilty of not back checking but Mason & Neuvirth have given up soft goals in almost every game. The Flyers have proven to be a resilient bunch but the backbreaking goals our goaltenders are giving up is going to kill this teams drive and desire to compete in the long run.

Find out what's wrong and fix it Kim!

17 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Last years positive has been this years negative. The Flyers are averaging 3.6 goals per game and only the NYR have scored more goals this season yet the Flyers sit at .500 and have a negative goal differential. I realize there have been defensive breakdowns, forwards guilty of not back checking but Mason & Neuvirth have given up soft goals in almost every game. The Flyers have proven to be a resilient bunch but the backbreaking goals our goaltenders are giving up is going to kill this teams drive and desire to compete in the long run.

Careful...I had the audacity to question the goaltending coach in another thread, and was told I had a "love affair" with their former goalie coach, Reese. LOL. 

Lots has gone wrong in front of the goalies, as you stated.  However, each goalie is giving up a bad/soft goal a game.  

It needs to change. ASAP. 

2 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Careful...I had the audacity to question the goaltending coach in another thread, and was told I had a "love affair" with their former goalie coach, Reese. LOL. 

Well in your defense, Reese was dreamy :kiss: :NinjaLookLeftRight1: lol

The fact that both goalies are flubbing at the same time raises questions about goaltending coaching. And it may be the play of people in front of them--our duo is not the only one with problems. That said,  I just posted on the thread for last night's Montreal game that we need an answer/step up to the plate by Black Friday.  We will have 20+ games under our belts. If we have sub .900 at that point--a trade or call-up would be in order, if only to serve as a "natural experiment" If a third goalie showed the same performance, we'd say there's a system issue. 

Another take:  While it is untimely, we are seeing both as "damaged goods" with problem careers.  With Mason, we could say that over the long-term, he may be no better than a B+ goalie:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/masonst01.html

He may have hit his save percentage peak a few years back, and is now coming back to a .908 norm.  Neuvy was a very promising AHL player and has shown a lot of promise in the Big League.  But...he's never played more than 47 games a season or grabbed the reins as a starter. 

Last year I posted that instead of establishing one of our duo as a winner in their friendly competition, we might find that neither pans out.  I took a bit of heat for that stance.  I'd like for one of these guys to do the job.  But for all we know, Hexy's decision may be easier than we thought.  But then we have to ask about the future.  

@Howie58

I wonder if Hextall has a similar view to yours Howie.

The Flyers have drafted goalies in the last 3 drafts & signed some interesting free agents, most notably Lyons.

A lot of the prospects are years from pushing for an NHL job, but one of Stolarz, Lyons and Madsen may become the home grown goal keeper of the future.

It would be nice if organizationally we had a strong system for developing keepers i think this was the rationale behind the hiring of Brady Robinson, we'll see if Dillabaugh and he can rekindle the magic from their days in Los Angeles.

On 11/6/2016 at 9:20 AM, Samifan said:

Jeff Reese.  

Bring him back.  

On 11/6/2016 at 3:34 PM, Howie58 said:

The fact that both goalies are flubbing at the same time raises questions about goaltending coaching. And it may be the play of people in front of them--our duo is not the only one with problems. That said,  I just posted on the thread for last night's Montreal game that we need an answer/step up to the plate by Black Friday.  We will have 20+ games under our belts. If we have sub .900 at that point--a trade or call-up would be in order, if only to serve as a "natural experiment" If a third goalie showed the same performance, we'd say there's a system issue. 

Another take:  While it is untimely, we are seeing both as "damaged goods" with problem careers.  With Mason, we could say that over the long-term, he may be no better than a B+ goalie:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/masonst01.html

He may have hit his save percentage peak a few years back, and is now coming back to a .908 norm.  Neuvy was a very promising AHL player and has shown a lot of promise in the Big League.  But...he's never played more than 47 games a season or grabbed the reins as a starter. 

Last year I posted that instead of establishing one of our duo as a winner in their friendly competition, we might find that neither pans out.  I took a bit of heat for that stance.  I'd like for one of these guys to do the job.  But for all we know, Hexy's decision may be easier than we thought.  But then we have to ask about the future.  

The Defensive team game has really stunk, but if the goalies gave up just one fewer soft goal a game, that's literally AT LEAST 6 more points for the Flyers so far this year in games that they either win in regulation or go to overtime with one less goal against.  That's at least 2nd place in the metro instead of tied with 4 teams for the wild card.  That's significant at 13 games in.  

I honestly think the coaching is key.  The team is hanging them out to dry quite a bit, but frankly, they're both WAY out of position most of the time.  They're overplaying pucks and biting on the puck carrier way too easily.

Mason's save % was last this low when he played for Columbus before Reese helped fix him.  Now a full year plus after Reese moved on, Mason and Neuvy are both showing signs of poor focus and discipline and a lack of coaching IMHO.  

It's a problem and I'd hope that Hextall as a goalie can see it... but he already tried to address this and it seems like it's having deleterious effects rather than progressive ones.  

Not sure where it goes from here other than I seriously hope they don't try to bring Stolarz or Lyons into this mess until it's sorted out. 

On 11/6/2016 at 9:32 AM, DaGreatGazoo said:

Lots has gone wrong in front of the goalies, as you stated.  However, each goalie is giving up a bad/soft goal a game.  

It needs to change. ASAP. 

Jeez... I mean considering Mason went from being a cast off to a pretty decent goalie, I kinda was in love with Reese too.  

As an almost complete non-sequitor, did anyone else notice that Bob is now an 8 million dollar goalie?  Could you imagine the hate on this board if we were paying a goalie that much money even if he does sport a .953 save %?

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Could you imagine the hate on this board if we were paying a goalie that much money even if he does sport a .953 save %?

We are, I think Bryzgalov is on the books for 10 more years, lol

At some point Neuvirth and Mason will quit giving up softies on a regular basis. But it's funny how this game goes sometimes. Defensively the Flyers are all over the place. Some shifts it's hard to tell which side a D-man is covering. I've seen 2 fwds across center ice while the other 3 don't have control of the puck...etc. And then there's the goalies - supposedly "1A and 1B" this year, whose role is entirely defensive and they're struggling right along with the rest of the team. Funny how this game goes sometimes.

Mason looked stellar the other night against Detroit. He's coming out of his funk now and this is usually the time he heats up. The Flyers need to run with Mason now and go from there. 

However, I still think the Flyers have a new goaltending tandem next year. I'll call it right now - Bishop and Stolarz will be the goaltending tandem in Philadelphia.

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Mason looked stellar the other night against Detroit. He's coming out of his funk now and this is usually the time he heats up. The Flyers need to run with Mason now and go from there. 

However, I still think the Flyers have a new goaltending tandem next year. I'll call it right now - Bishop and Stolarz will be the goaltending tandem in Philadelphia.

No way to afford Bishop. 

22 hours ago, King Knut said:

No way to afford Bishop. 

Why not? With Streit, Schultz, Mason and Neuvirth all coming off the books, you're looking at roughly $14 million off the books. Depending on who is chosen in the expansion draft (I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Read is chosen), that's another 3.5 million off the books, so that's 17.5 million. Add in an increase in the salary cap and it's possible the Flyers could have up to $20 million this off season to play with. You figure that Bishop will get about 5.5 to 6 million a year, Del Zotto re-signs for about 5 and Gostisbehere signs a bridge deal in the 4.5 to 5 range, that's still $16 million with $4 left over. That's something that can easily be done.

Neuvirth and Mason rank second to last and dead last in save percentage this season at 85% and 87% respectively. Let that marinade for a moment. That's quite a tandem. The Flyers offense can score 4 goals a game and they will still lose the majority if not all of their games when their goalies have numbers like those. 

Hextall will snap soon. :growl:

9 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Neuvirth and Mason rank second to last and dead last in save percentage this season at 85% and 87% respectively. Let that marinade for a moment. That's quite a tandem. The Flyers offense can score 4 goals a game and they will still lose the majority if not all of their games when their goalies have numbers like those. 

Its like they're trying to mirror the two US presidential candidates.

:hocky:

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

• I gotta think that Hextall is considering dressing and playing himself at this point. It is not like it would be worse.......

7 minutes ago, flyerrod said:
  • I gotta think that Hextall is considering dressing and playing himself at this point. It is not like it would be worse.......

If he did, at least we know the crease would be kept clear :cool[1]:

Neuvirth started tonight played 1 period and now Mason is in. Got the Wild feed but they didn't offer any explanation that I heard. I assume Neuvirth got hurt but he finished the period, skated off.

28 minutes ago, canoli said:

Neuvirth started tonight played 1 period and now Mason is in. Got the Wild feed but they didn't offer any explanation that I heard. I assume Neuvirth got hurt but he finished the period, skated off.

Bill Meltzer tweeted Neuvy injured his groin.

Like all seasons, everyone freaks out early about goalies that are playing the same way they've always played.

I'd like to see some of you manage a team and kneejerk fire and hire people and trade and cut players based on their slumps despite seeing that year in and out that each player you cut tends to have a big year(s) and each member of the staff goes on to do well. (other than reese who has two goalies sub .900) 

7 hours ago, NRH said:

Like all seasons, everyone freaks out early about goalies that are playing the same way they've always played.

To a degree yes. The problem is they have both had enough games to knock the rust off but are still letting in some SOFT goals, Too many of them. When both of your goalies are under 87% save percentage, you have serious issues.If Neuvirth is out with a groin injury, who gets the call and how long do they wait while Mason seems intent on being Mr. Softee(although he played ok last night) to give the call up a chance?

7 hours ago, NRH said:

I'd like to see some of you manage a team and kneejerk fire and hire people and trade and cut players based on their slumps despite seeing that year in and out that each player you cut tends to have a big year(s) and each member of the staff goes on to do well. (other than reese who has two goalies sub .900) 

The problem is it was the goalies who kept this team in it last year. If one of them was having a tough time, that's understandable. But both?

Archived