Sabres should beg Miller to return

Buffalo Rick

Never mind the stats Miller has playing for that wreck of a team in Vancouver.  Maybe only Colorado are worse?  Last night the Sabres had the lead with 3 minutes left and allowed Florida to tie the game.  Then were beat in the Shootout once again.  First, I am not happy with the choices Bylsma makes in these shootouts.  But if they had Miller they would have faired much better in these games.   He is better than these two bums.  The team is doing well and is getting better.  Right on schedule.  But the goaltending is not good enough.  Maybe Miller would be interested after this season?  He  has clearly been thrown into a competition in Vancouver, and he is easily the best guy they have but he is not a magician.  The team sucks.  So the Sabres would be wise to try and get him back.  Not sure if they are interested or if he would return?  Due to location only.  I would not think he has any ill feelings at all towards the Sabres.   After all, they gave him the choice to stay or leave.  He did not want to stick around for the rebuild but i doubt he envisioned the crap that would unfold in Vancouver. When he went there they were not that bad.  The St Louis thing was very short term and did not work out either.  He is the right guy but if the Sabres do not ask him, they must find someone else.  That game last night should have been in the win column.  

Image result for miller meme

Since this is the last year of Miller's contract I guess Miller might have interest in lifting his NTC to go back to Buffalo.  What would you be willing to trade to get him?  

I am not convinced Miller at age 36 is what the Sabres need to make it to the playoffs.  He has given up 12 goals in his last 3 appearances.  I think that ship has sailed.  I think the goaltending future for the Sabres is with Linus Ullmark.

I just can't get the fascination with Ryan Miller. He had one (1) season where he had a terrific  SV%, and two others where he was around 8th-10th. Other than that, he's been so average it's not even funny. There's nothing wrong with that, but the 36-year old version of that goaltender doesn't seem to be what the Sabres need.

As was stated by others, I don't think Miller at 36 is the answer for the Sabres. I also don't know that the Sabres are a match for Miller at this stage of his career. He's got one contract left, and the Sabres, while on the rise, aren't going to be Cup contenders for several more years. I could see him latching on with Dallas should they find a way to jettison their duo.

That said, there are going to be a lot of options for the Sabres should they want to pursue a goalie this season as teams look to get something for one of their tenders rather than lose them for nothing. Fluery. Rask/Subban. Bishop in the offseason. With Ullmark coming up, they have the potential to have a good tandem while Ullmark is groomed for the starting role. I know you love Miller, he was a workhorse for the Sabres when they had their last few playoff runs, but I think there are options out there that would be much better for the Sabres.

On 12/22/2016 at 8:47 AM, AJgoal said:

As was stated by others, I don't think Miller at 36 is the answer for the Sabres. I also don't know that the Sabres are a match for Miller at this stage of his career. He's got one contract left, and the Sabres, while on the rise, aren't going to be Cup contenders for several more years. I could see him latching on with Dallas should they find a way to jettison their duo.

That said, there are going to be a lot of options for the Sabres should they want to pursue a goalie this season as teams look to get something for one of their tenders rather than lose them for nothing. Fluery. Rask/Subban. Bishop in the offseason. With Ullmark coming up, they have the potential to have a good tandem while Ullmark is groomed for the starting role. I know you love Miller, he was a workhorse for the Sabres when they had their last few playoff runs, but I think there are options out there that would be much better for the Sabres.

None of them are Miller.  And if they got Miller now, they could get 3 good years out of him.  By next year with Miller they could compete for a playoff spot.  I am not crazy, I know they are not Cup contenders or even close.  Eichel and Reinhart are two guys that someday will be in that category.  I am not a fan of Lehner or this other bum.  How do you lose the SO's like they have so easily?  If the game goes to a SO they are DEAD AND STINKIN!!!!

47 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am not crazy

You may want to get a second opinion. :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

Just kidding HJ, hope you and your family have a happy holiday season. Pegula's first order of business is to fix the Bills. Once that is done (if ever) he can concentrate on the Sabres.

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

You may want to get a second opinion. :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

Just kidding HJ, hope you and your family have a happy holiday season. Pegula's first order of business is to fix the Bills. Once that is done (if ever) he can concentrate on the Sabres.

Same to you.  Merry Xmas.  I am not sure if Pegula really puts the Bills over the Sabres.   He knows that there are more Bills fans than Sabres fans but its not quite as big a gap when they are both doing well.  And its been some time.  I think they are close in the talent dept but I give Bylsma a big edge over Ryan and his nut job brother.  They may be unemployed in two weeks?  At least I am sure his brother is gone.  

On 12/21/2016 at 0:51 PM, JR Ewing said:

I just can't get the fascination with Ryan Miller. He had one (1) season where he had a terrific  SV%, and two others where he was around 8th-10th. Other than that, he's been so average it's not even funny. There's nothing wrong with that, but the 36-year old version of that goaltender doesn't seem to be what the Sabres need.

He also ranked Gilbert Perreault above Gretzky as a playmaker

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Perrault was not Gretsky as a goal scorer but he could skate, stick handle and pass better.

The 10 most statistically similar players to Gilbert Perreault: Denis Savard, Patrick Marleau, Joe Nieuwendyk, Ray Whitney, Doug Gilmour, Dale Hawerchuk, Adam Oates, Dino Ciccarelli, Jean Ratelle, Dave Andreychuk.

This a great group. We have 8 HOFers, 14 Cups, 1 Conn Smythe, and a Selke.

---

The 10 most statistically similar players to Wayne Gretzky: Jaromir Jagr, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe, Phil Esposito, Teemu Selanne, Joe Sakic, Alex Ovechkin, Howie Morenz, Brett Hull, Steve Yzerman

This group is a selection of the very greatest players to have ever put on a pair of skates: 22 Cups, 5 Conn Smythe, 20 Hart, 15 Pearson/Lindsay, 25 Art Ross, and 7 HOFers. The 3 players who aren't in (Jagr, Ovechkin, Selanne) will be inducted the second they're eligible).

---

The playmaking part is absurd.

Perreault played 17 season, and was top 5 in assists 3 times, with two more in the top 10, and is now 27th all-time. Great stuff. Gretzky played 20 seasons, leading the NHL in assists 16 times, with another top 5 finish and twice more in the top 10, and has 714 more assists than #2 all-time.

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2016 at 9:50 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Perrault was not Gretsky as a goal scorer but he could skate, stick handle and pass better.

There will be a Canadian mountie at your door shortly.

Archived