Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

I don't quite get this deal unless Tampa needed to shed his salary for next year.  

Val isn't a goal scorer either.  He's a decent addition to the Flyers if they were trying to push this year, but that's pretty unrealistic still even after shutting out the worst team in the NHL.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Looks like TB also sent a draft pick since we are taking on the additional year for Filppula .    Now we have our 10th center on the roster...

If he can regain his form a great deal by Hexy but still a bit of a reclamation project. 4th rounder and a conditional 7th.   Feel like we helped out TB on this one a bit too...

So filpulla has another year on contract at $5m and the flyers retained some of streit's comtract????  I don't know if I like this deal.

5 minutes ago, peter679 said:

Dregger reporting that Flyers will retain some $$ from Streit so TB can fit him under the cap. according to 97.5

Flyers won't have room for this unless they make another deal will they?

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Coots might be traded in the next 14 minutes.

This was my exact reaction.  This makes 14 expendable and 78 slides up to 3C.  Wouldn't surprise me if 14 heads to the Oilers.  Obviously 14 and 51 play different roles but there is only so much room for $4M+ centers on the team for next year.

@Brelic Good point on being protected.  I don't know the answer but good to raise the question. 

Just now, icehole said:

So filpulla has another year on contract at $5m and the flyers retained some of streit's comtract????  I don't know if I like this deal.

oh stop.... why not?   we got another passer, we get to pay for Streit for the rest of the season, and we get to pay for him for one more year!!   

It is a win win. We got a pick and the Flyers got a guy to help them make a push to get into the playoffs and get bounced lol.

Seriously though the only thing that makes me nervous is that he is still signed for next year at a 5mil hit.

So especially if Streit is a rental it is a good move as long as we don't fck ourselves with the cap now.

1 minute ago, off_the_post said:

This was my exact reaction.  This makes 14 expendable and 78 slides up to 3C.  Wouldn't surprise me if 14 heads to the Oilers.  Obviously 14 and 51 play different roles but there is only so much room for $4M+ centers on the team for next year.

@Brelic Good point on being protected.  I don't know the answer but good to raise the question. 

From what I'm seeing on Twitter, Filppula is required to be protected. 

Eating part of Streit's salary is fine... it's just for the last 20 games or so. But taking on an aging $5M center and needing to protect him? Don't like that part at all.

I think the Flyers should have gotten more here. Filppula does step in and become the 5th highest scoring player on the Flyers, but the Flyers sent a somewhat valuable trade chip, held 50% of his salary, took on an aging, declining player on a heavy contract, and only got a 4th and a conditional 7th? I have no idea what's going on right now.

6 minutes ago, off_the_post said:

I think it's far more likely that Hextall did this for the 2 picks.  

Just now, brelic said:

Eating part of Streit's salary is fine... it's just for the last 20 games or so. But taking on an aging $5M center and needing to protect him? Don't like that part at all.

ugh.... that is crap.

I actually like him as a player and I think it will work for both teams.   maybe there is another move coming ....

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

that is what I want to know Brel...

I thought a team that acquires a player who has a NMC with the previous team doesn't have to honour that clause and the player wouldn't have a NMC with his new team, but I could be wrong.

Just now, Lindbergh31 said:

I thought a team that acquires a player who has a NMC with the previous team doesn't have to honour that clause and the player wouldn't have a NMC with his new team, but I could be wrong.

That's not always the case. Sometimes they follow the player, sometimes they don't. 

7 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

ugh.... that is crap.

I actually like him as a player and I think it will work for both teams.   maybe there is another move coming ....

If he truly has a modified NTC, he shouldn't need to be protected.  

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I think the Flyers should have gotten more here. Filppula does step in and become the 5th highest scoring player on the Flyers, but the Flyers sent a somewhat valuable trade chip, held 50% of his salary, took on an aging, declining player on a heavy contract, and only got a 4th and a conditional 7th? I have no idea what's going on right now.

I am with you AJ...   very confusing all around today.

Archived