Town Hall

vis

23 minutes ago, brelic said:

Exactly. Plus, you can't just sit him after game 41 if you have any hope of Vegas picking him up. After all, you don't want to highlight that a nice, shiny player is a turd after you've spent so long polishing it. 

If McDud was selected by Vegas the league should look into tampering b/c I would believe there is a 99.99999999999999999% chance that McDud is not going to Vegas....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

If McDud was selected by Vegas the league should look into tampering b/c I would believe there is a 99.99999999999999999% chance that McDud is not going to Vegas....

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, ratskull said:

Hakstol is probably frustrated because he HAS to play MacDonald. No matter how infinitely small the chance is that they will be able to trade him or that the Knights grab him, they have to try to move him. So, the directive from above is to play the hell out of him with the hopes that someone will be crazy enough to take him. If true, that would be a tough pill to swallow as a coach and adding insult to injury is having to defend the move when questioned by the public.

He probably love to have said. "You think I don't know that he plays terrible? We are trying to move him as soon as possible. I want him gone more than you do!" This is all speculation, but I find it hard to believe that he truly sees MacDonald as a 3rd or 4th defenceman. They are all doing what they can to make this team better in the long run and moving MacDonald would be like winning the lottery. In the meantime, they are probably improving their draft position.

Who are they going to play that would be any more reliable if they move MacDonald right now?

That's the reason he's playing so much.  

4 hours ago, brelic said:

Exactly. Plus, you can't just sit him after game 41 if you have any hope of Vegas picking him up. After all, you don't want to highlight that a nice, shiny player is a turd after you've spent so long polishing it. 

Vegas ain't taking him.  

I agreed with everything Hak said until he starts saying things like "a-mac is a top 3 or 4 defensman" and that they aren't far away from the pens or caps.  Even if you throw out corsi, Macdonald just looks bad.

These town hall stories are pissing me off even more now. 

Seriously when the team looks this bad.  THIS BAD (and they look god awful) where the hell for Homer and Hak get off acting smug and indignant in the face of skepticism or criticism?  What a holes.  Seriously.  You're doing a BaD job guys.  Don't take it out on the dumb stuffs paying your salaries just because they won't play into your little delusions. 

I believe in Hak, I believe he will get better and better in this league. I was very excited when they signed him from college. He really has done well for a second year coach with what he has to work with on this team especially on defense.

BUT to be honest from what I can gather from the OPs article if the guy that was there that is giving up the info is not lying which I do not think he is, then to me Hak kinda sounded like a bit of a puss brat asswipe when asked direct questions on Amac and also where they are at in comparison with other teams like "Crapitals and Pissburgh"

On one hand I am very, very pleased to hear that he has this much passion for the game, the team, and its players but damn dude lol relax just a tad.... people that are there pay big money so they have the right to ask a few harmless questions.

Oh yeah by the way if Amac is a top 3 or 4 defenseman in this league then I am a built cut like a diamond 225lb beast with an 8" hammer and a multi-millionaire getting ready to marry Scarlett Johansson.

If you guys are wondering I am not one of those :(

Hextall's comments are troubling. 

His apathy towards losing and seemingly being content with the status quo is truly unsettling to me. 

Who is is this guy?   This is not the guy I watched play hockey for ten years. 

He he seems to almost be codedly saying that the win streak was a fluke. I agree that it was deceiving because they could have lost many of those games, but what delusion is he under that they're playing even remotely as wel as they were then?  They look HORRIBLE.  They look abjectly and pathetically worse than they did two months ago. 

How is is any of it okay for him?  How is he so apathetic about it?  

If the sky is not falling, then what is happening and how it is going to be okay?  

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/hextall-sky-not-falling-flyers-things-will-even-out?cid=email:CSN Philly Daily Update:2015+-+CSNPhilly+Morning+Update:22145

Hak is going to need more time to sort this mess out. This roster which has been stated already is a bunch or sorted parts.

The Captain doesn't play as if he even knows what he should be doing which is a big problem.

And as i just stated in my last post they have a goaltender who is so mentally fragile and has gotten outplayed by every backup in the NHL including his own...just a complete recipe for disaster....and now they are out of a playoff spot...4-5-1 in the last 10 let's see how they respond.

Next game is a huge test...the Sharks...it could get ugly really quick.

On 2/8/2017 at 10:49 AM, King Knut said:

I admit I was upset at first because it just didn't make sense.  Other players are struggling more and playing more poorly then either one of them.  

TK and Ghost are two of the most effective play drivers on the team.  My thoughts on Hak's use of Ghost and his development have been enumerated elsewhere so I won't go into it here.  Suffice to say, I think Hak's missing the point of Ghost and I think it's in danger of ruining the player.  

Homer always lies about his plans.  Probably because Clarke always lied.  Homer would probably have said they weren't going to be very busy in the off season no matter what his actual plans are.  That said, I don't see much of a need to be very busy.  I'd love to see two players acquired before the start of next season, but I don't really believe either will happen.  I'll settle for one to help the maturing youth movement on D.  Not a big name even or a big contract.  Just someone who's been there and can play in his own end well.  Anyway point is, I don't think Homer saying they have no big plans means they won't do anything.  He lies all the time and frankly, i wouldn't put it beyond Hexy to have a few pots on the stove that Homer doesn't necessarily know all about just yet (especially since most pots on the stove amount to zilch). 

I know why Mac is playing.  

I'm not the Mac hater everyone else here is.  I can divorce his play from his salary and I can acknowledge that he's really not that bad.  He's more responsible in his own end than Ghost or MDZ.   he's probably not a 3/4 D man in the NHL, but he certainly is on the Flyers. 

The problem I have is that wasn't the question Hak was asked.  He was asked essentially why is he a #2 D man on the Flyers?

The answer is I think more complicated, but I think there is a legit answer to that question that Hak could have provided.  essentially it's about pairings and skill sets.  All year the team's pairings have been woefully unbalanced with too much offensive mindedness and not enough defensive skill.  Mac is there with Provo because putting Streit or MDZ with provo doesn't make sense and because putting Gudas with Provo would make the other pairings to weak defensively.  

Mac's getting the minutes he's getting because it's the least of all the possible evils.  

If I'm in that room I ask him why Schultz hasn't been playing more before now, not why Mac has.  

I think you like to blame coaches and management when it is a matter of an individual player's shortcomings. Ghost is playing poorly, because the Ghost is making poor decisions and getting pushed around on the ice.

This is a fair assessment.

6 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

I think you like to blame coaches and management when it is a matter of an individual player's shortcomings. Ghost is playing poorly, because the Ghost is making poor decisions and getting pushed around on the ice.

This is a fair assessment.

...I tend to blame the coach when a player is being put into a position that doesn't match his skill set or size. 

Just thought I'd point out something. I was just taking a look at CapFriendly and if the season were to end today, the Flyers would have $18,525,000 in available cap space. I know Hextall said at the town hall they weren't going to do anything drastic, but I certainly have my doubts, especially when they have that kind of money available. If Matt Read gets picked up in the expansion draft, that number goes up to 22,250,000 in available cap space. Yeah, I think we're going to see a veteran right handed defenseman brought in (especially if the top five next year are going to be Provorov, Gostisbehere, Gudas, Morin and Sanheim) and probably a goaltender (I'm expecting the Flyers to have some deal in place with Las Vegas to pick up a starter from them). That's still going to leave lots of money left over. Maybe Hextall does a Phoenix and acquire a high priced talent and a sweet throw in piece to help the other team out salary cap wise.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Just thought I'd point out something. I was just taking a look at CapFriendly and if the season were to end today, the Flyers would have $18,525,000 in available cap space. I know Hextall said at the town hall they weren't going to do anything drastic, but I certainly have my doubts, especially when they have that kind of money available. If Matt Read gets picked up in the expansion draft, that number goes up to 22,250,000 in available cap space. Yeah, I think we're going to see a veteran right handed defenseman brought in (especially if the top five next year are going to be Provorov, Gostisbehere, Gudas, Morin and Sanheim) and probably a goaltender (I'm expecting the Flyers to have some deal in place with Las Vegas to pick up a starter from them). That's still going to leave lots of money left over. Maybe Hextall does a Phoenix and acquire a high priced talent and a sweet throw in piece to help the other team out salary cap wise.

Yeah remember that cap money also includes noone signed in goal yet.

So there will be holes to fill but not many.

This is why he was remaining patient till some of the dead weight is removed.

They still are a year or two from a serious push.

A lot of questions still to be answered...

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah remember that cap money also includes noone signed in goal yet.

So there will be holes to fill but not many.

This is why he was remaining patient till some of the dead weight is removed.

They still are a year or two from a serious push.

A lot of questions still to be answered...

I don't see any goalie right now that's worth 6 or 7 million bucks a year. Some might think BIshop is going to get that, but he's in for a rude awakening when he hits free agency. He better be prepared to look at 4.5 to 5 million a year. Nobody is going to give him 6 million, especially with his history of injury. As well, when you take a look at teams, how many clubs out there need goaltending? St. Louis, Philadelphia, Winnipeg are the only teams I can think of and when you look at those clubs, do you see Bishop going to Winnipeg? I certainly don't because I'm certain Cheveldayoff wants to see Hellebuyck be the starter there. Now that leaves Philadelphia and St. Louis. St. Louis just doesn't have the money and it looks like they're on the verge of a rebuild. The Flyers are already in the midst of their rebuild. So, Bishop either takes 4 to 5 million or he goes nowhere. Those are his options.

I really like the Flyers and what they can do this off season with that money. They need a right handed defenseman as well and we all know that there's one guy about to hit the market that would fit that bill, but he's going to cost at least 7 million a year. What I would do if I were Hextall would be target John Carlson in Washington. We all know the Caps want to re-sign Alzner, so throw them a bone. Offer up a prospect like Friedman and a middle round pick for Carlson. He's only 27 and would fit in and help. He also won't break the bank and he's a right handed shot.

So, sign Bishop, add a guy like Carlson and look for a 2nd line center. Maybe Ron talks to Minnesota and sees if he can pry away a guy like Charlie Coyle, who they're unsure they can protect or not. He'd be a great fit as the second line guy in Philly with Konecny on one side and Voracek on the other.

The great thing is, Hextall makes these moves, there's still money left over.

Quoted from Meltzer's blog today http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=82938:

Several people have asked me to weigh in on the Flyers recent season ticket holder town hall meeting, specifically Dave Hakstol comments to a questioner who very aggressively and pointedly asked about "why Andrew MacDonald never sits out" when Shayne Gostisbehere had been a healthy scratch three games in a row and five times overall this season. The questioner cited social media furor among other things.

Hakstol replied that the questioner had a "short memory", citing MacDonald's near season-long banishment to the American Hockey League last year, and then proceeded to praise MacDonald's play this season by saying he's been a legitimate top three or top four defenseman. The latter comment sent the MacDonald haters and "fire Hakstol" crowd into a frenzy.

My take: Hakstol met a hostile questioner with a defensive response. He needed to stand up for his player and he did so, perhaps overselling his case just a little bit. MacDonald is not an ideal third or fourth defenseman. What is Hakstol supposed to say, though? Is it better to collectively throw his blueline under the bus or is it better to praise a guy who has actually played pretty well in recent weeks.

Putting it mildly, MacDonald will never be a Corsi darling. He concedes zone entries and shot attempts with regularity, especially when playing against top-notch opposition. That does not make MacDonald a horrible player, though. Shot attempt metrics are a rudimentary measure of puck possession differentials but reveal very little about play without the puck.

MacDonald is a competent positional containment defender who, if he can't block a shot (he is second on the team with an average 2.1 blocks per game and, a few years ago, led the NHL in blocks) will concede it but try to keep the shooter to the outside. He's not great in muscle-on-muscle battles but has a decent defensive stick. He is OK with the puck but will cough up some turnovers and failed clears. He is a pretty good on retrievals and skates well.

A couple of years ago, in the first season of his big new contract, MacDonald struggled both with and without the puck. Those struggles continued into last year, which factored into his AHL demotion along with the need for a bit of salary cap relief. This season, though, MacDonald has generally been reliable in his play without the puck and adequate -- certainly not spectacular, but not lost -- when the Flyers have possession. He is an NHL player, not an AHL-caliber one regardless of what his staunchest critics say. Fans on social media tends to go overboard in blaming him not only when he makes a gaffe but for every thing from bouncing pucks to issues that other defensemen -- even the ones with whom he's not partnered -- encounter.

Is MacDonald the guy the Flyers (or any comparable team with playoff aspirations) ideally want out along with Ivan Provorov against other teams' top lines? It's a moot question. On this current Flyers team's blueline, there really hasn't been much other choice other than MacDonald or Radko Gudas. Hakstol can't -- and shouldn't -- publicly say that, but it's the cold, hard truth.

Gostisbehere has had a subpar defensive season and is primarily an offensive defenseman, anyway. The oft-injured Michael Del Zotto has not played as well as he did last season. Nick Schultz is nearing the end of the line. Mark Streit suffered a shoulder injury and has largely struggling since coming back. Meanwhile, the organization continuing to develop Travis Sanheim, Samuel Morin and Robert Hägg in Lehigh Valley.

Hakstol also did not mention that MacDonald had been scratched seven times in eight games between Nov. 3 and 19. Although he was nursing a lower-body issue for much of that time, he was well enough to play in several of those latter games and was not played on injured reserve at any point.

Andrew MacDonald being part of the top six on the Flyers' blueline is not a problem. The problem is that Hakstol's "legit top three or four" proclamation really meant "a top four on our team this season by necessity." A coach, however, has to express faith in his personnel collectively. The reality is that the recent very heavy focus on five-man-unit defensive play to limit opposition shots and chances -- which has also cut into Philly's offense, in part because there aren't enough good possession generators on the back end and an area where MacDonald himself is not an asset -- is reflective of the Flyers' blueline overall being subpar. In fact, Provorov is already by far the Flyers' best all-around defenseman.

" Became very angry when someone asked how far the Flyers are away from Capitals and Penguins. Said they can compete with any team in the NHL. That was the last question directed to him. He left the room somewhat flustered. Looked like he was happy to get out of the room. "
If Hak thinks they can compete with anyone, then he needs to stop putting magical mushrooms in his salad cause they can't!  I understand being positive, but it's black and white you're team can't compete with anyone.. I'm going to Pittsburgh next weekend and I fully expect a 5-2 game.  G will be a -2, goalie will get beat, the D will collapse and Wayne Simmonds will play the best and have as much impact as the lacking talent supporting him will allow.  LOL  
This team Can't compete!  They're just NOT good enough period, and they havent' been for a long time.  When you're #1 is everyone else's #2 or #3, you ain't winnin' nuttin!

1 minute ago, peter679 said:

This team Can't compete!

The team can compete. They will lose the competition, but they will compete in it. That's the folly of using "compete" as a measuring stick. You're going to be on the ice. You're going to "compete." You're just going to lose.

They just got their doors blown off by Calgary and Edmonton. But they "competed".

Arizona "competes" every day.

That said, this team shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Capitals or the Penguins, much less the Blue Jackets or Rangers. They are 23 points behind Washington; 18 behind Pittsburgh; 16 behind Columbus and 14 behind the Rangers. And that's just in their own division with every team in front of them has games in hand on them.

You think any of them are worrying about "competing" with the Flyers? 'cause I don't.

Just now, radoran said:

The team can compete. They will lose the competition, but they will compete in it. That's the folly of using "compete" as a measuring stick. You're going to be on the ice. You're going to "compete." You're just going to lose.

They just got their doors blown off by Calgary and Edmonton. But they "competed".

That said, this team shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Capitals or the Penguins, much less the Blue Jackets or Rangers. They are 23 points behind Washington; 18 behind Pittsburgh; 16 behind Columbus and 14 behind the Rangers. And that's just in their own division with every team in front of them has games in hand on them.

You think any of them are worrying about "competing" with the Flyers? 'cause I don't.

You're right I totally see that.. compete is the wrong term.  They work hard they have 'compete" in them but they don't have the talent IMO.  They are sorely lacking in talent.  I like G but he owes Jagr alot of money lol G and Hartnell owe Jagr alot of money!  lol IF Jagr was resigned that line would have been solid it was awesome for that 1 year. Talent wins and they just don't have the talent right now. 

2 minutes ago, peter679 said:

You're right I totally see that.. compete is the wrong term.  They work hard they have 'compete" in them but they don't have the talent IMO.  They are sorely lacking in talent.  I like G but he owes Jagr alot of money lol G and Hartnell owe Jagr alot of money!  lol IF Jagr was resigned that line would have been solid it was awesome for that 1 year. Talent wins and they just don't have the talent right now. 

They have seven guys signed for the next three seasons.

If they don't have the talent "right now" when are we expecting "the talent"?

When they "won the trades" this was the "talent" that would be developing and coming into their own now.

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yeah i hate to say this but that 10 game winning streak might have been the worst thing for this club....it gave many (me included false expectations)...i'm afraid what we are seeing now IS what this team IS!!

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

They have seven guys signed for the next three seasons.

If they don't have the talent "right now" when are we expecting "the talent"?

When they "won the trades" this was the "talent" that would be developing and coming into their own now.

1st, I didn't expect them to be anymore than AT BEST a wildcard team. They have more holes than the Bunny Ranch eating swiss cheese.

I think they have guys in the wrong roles.  ie: G is a guy that needs his table set for him reference: Jagr.  Jake I liked him alot thought he would be better than he's been, but I think again he needs someone to set the table for him. Identifying HONESTLY what you have and what the short comings are for each player and putting them in the spot they need to be successful.  Look at The Hoodie.. Belichek takes dreck and maximizes his guys buy using them in spots that will maximize they're ability.  
There is no creativity on this team with the puck.. most of the shots are burried in the belly of the goalie!  lol  
It's hard really hard to find "that guy".. But they need someone who's a true #1, or a true setup guy.. scoring is a major issue.  The D will improve over the next couple years with all the youth. 

I hope Hexy can get some some skilled offensive guys on this team.

On 2/8/2017 at 9:16 AM, fanaticV3.0 said:

1. I am completely baffled by the anger coming from the fans about TK and Ghost getting scratched.  They are more bothered by the fact that they are getting scratched than they are that the players themselves are struggling. You play poorly, sometimes you sit. It's not a difficult concept to grasp or outrageous approach to take. It's not a big deal whatsoever.

I think the whole thing comes down to this. The Flyers must choose, either a free-wheeling offensive style that encourages goals OR a defensive shell type of game that is conservative and basically means playing tight man to man, keep the game close and wait for your chances. The Flyers, out of pure necessity MUST go with the latter. They simply don't have the horses to play an up tempo offensive type of game. It's basically an identity crisis. When the Flyers go to the shut down defensive shell game, guys like Ghost and TK will be the odd people out, simply because the Flyers are a stronger defensive team when they are not in the line-up.

Archived