Eastern Conference Semi Finals: #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins

pilldoc

Eastern Conference Semi Finals: #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Capitals sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Penguins sweep 4=0
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looked awful, both from the crosscheck to the side of the head by Niskanen, and not only that...he could have a severely sprained knee AND a broken foot. I'm by no means a fan of Crosby's but I don't see how he isn't out for the playoffs, and that's a terrible, damned shame for the NHL and the Penguins. I was just starting to think about a McDavid-Crosby final matchup. Niskanen should not play again this series.

I totally disagree with the 5 and game call.  Niskanen had his stick down (upper abdomen/lower chest level) and there was no intent to deliver a cross check.  Crosby was falling backwards and just by coincidence, his head was at the same level as Niskanen's stick.  In fact, the only penalty I saw was the high stick by Ovechkin that wasn't called.  No intent, stick was down, not dirty, wrong call.  Unfortunate for Crosby.

Then NHL sometimes reverses calls after games are over.  I would hope they rescind the game misconduct as it wasn't deserved.

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I totally disagree with the 5 and game call.  Niskanen had his stick down (upper abdomen/lower chest level) and there was no intent to deliver a cross check.  Crosby was falling backwards and just by coincidence, his head was at the same level as Niskanen's stick.  In fact, the only penalty I saw was the high stick by Ovechkin that wasn't called.  No intent, stick was down, not dirty, wrong call.  Unfortunate for Crosby.

Then NHL sometimes reverses calls after games are over.  I would hope they rescind the game misconduct as it wasn't deserved.

They won't only not rescind it, he is facing a suspension. 

Sorry, completely disagree with your description of it. 

I've watched and re-watched the clip that @hf101 posted.  Crosby is going down no mistake about that, however, Niskanen did cross-check him in the head.  It is ugly and despite my dislike of Crosby, I hope he is not seriously injured. 

I understand the POV of some who believe a game misconduct should not have been called.  However, lets put a different spin on this.  Lets say Niskanen cross-checked a Flyers player...say Jake / Giroux / Simmer / or TK.  Be honest, most of us would want Niskanen's head on a silver platter. 

It was an ugly hit and Niskanen is likely facing a game or two suspension..... just my opinion.

Sullivan better be going his best "Herb Brooks 2nd intermission versus Finland" impersonation.

"If you lose this game you'll take it to your f----- grave. (Turns and walks towards the door then turns back.) Your f------ grave. "

2 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Pierre racing to the hospital to be with Sid!

Will Pierre propose? Find out tomorrow on the next episode of Pittsburgh General Hospital.

I have a question, perhaps stupid. But after being a member here for a short time, and seeing the majority of members as Flyers fans, not a bad thing mind you, I was just wondering if it is a coincidence or was this forum previously devoted to just Flyers hockey. There is a few other teams represented, I see, but the overall majority seem to be for the Flyers. I thought that I read somewhere that this forum was bought out from another forum. I may be mistaken. For that matter, I would like to see the Flyers make the playoffs next year. So far, and I have not watched the playoffs other years as much as I have this year, with all the overtime periods and late 3rd period scoring, it has really made for excellent and exciting hockey. 

1 minute ago, Corky Molloy said:

I have a question, perhaps stupid. But after being a member here for a short time, and seeing the majority of members as Flyers fans, not a bad thing mind you, I was just wondering if it is a coincidence or was this forum previously devoted to just Flyers hockey. There is a few other teams represented, I see, but the overall majority seem to be for the Flyers. I thought that I read somewhere that this forum was bought out from another forum. I may be mistaken. For that matter, I would like to see the Flyers make the playoffs next year. So far, and I have not watched the playoffs other years as much as I have this year, with all the overtime periods and late 3rd period scoring, it has really made for excellent and exciting hockey. 

To not take this thread in a different direction -- I'll send you a PM with this site's history.

I see a penalty but a game misconduct? No way. He was off balance from the Ovie stuff and it kind of just happened. Ovechkin coulda/shoulda been penalized as his stick work and leg to the knee led to Crosby being off balance in the first place. Of course Bettman and the officials tend to leave superstars alone as Crosby has witnessed first hand with non calls for his own stick work.

My take...

Crosby or not, a cross check to the head should get you the 5:00 major which makes the Game Misconduct automatic per the NHL rules. I don't think this was premeditated at all. I will argue it was certainly opportunistic and an absolutely careless play by Niskanen. I've gone through the clips frame by frame and Crosby is already off balance and on his way down before there is any move by Niskanen to indicate he's looking to cross check. I think Niskanen certainly wanted to hit him. I don't think he purposely went for the head. That's said, it's the offending player's responsibility to be in control (of their body, stick, etc.) in situations like this. Because of that, I think Niskanen should sit for a game but won't kick up much of a fuss if he doesn't.

@B21

I think that's a pretty fair take.  I don't think there was intent to injure on Niskanen's part either. 

Niskanen was going to hit Crosby as he made that move through the crease because it's hockey.  He wound up hitting him in the head and got what he deserved a 5 and a misconduct. Like you, I won't wail if Niskanen misses another game or if he's allowed the misconduct to be interpreted as "time served" . 

That isn't necessarily the hit the game doesn't need, it is an unfortunate outcome of playing a contact sport. 

The stick work and near slew foot from Ovechkin isn't awesome, and while we're mentioning it here, I didn't really notice a lot being said about that in the between period discussion. I missed the play live so perhaps it was mentioned immediately afterwards.  I think that #8's actions are what really caused the injury, I think if Crosby has the dreaded LBI it is because of the beginning of that sequence and not the end.

Archived