Great MacDonald Article

2 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

That is a lot of words for he sucks......

Admittedly, I am not a big BSH fan.  I find their reliance on metrics to be over the top.

This "article" is no different.

Am I saying MacDonald is a great defender?  Not in the least.  But, even as the article suggests, he is a third pairing d-man in the NHL.  And on this team he rates higher because the defense otherwise stinks.  That's why he gets the time that he does.

I'm curious who BSH thinks should be paired with Provorov?  Who was the better option on the roster last year?

Look, the history of NHL d-pairings is littered with guys who, on their own, wouldn't be first pairing guys but end up there because of "fit" and the composition of the rest of the d-corps.  Was Chris Therien a first pairing guy?  Jeff Beukeboom?  No.  But they played on the first pairing because they fit well with their counterparts.

On this team, MacDonald was the best fit with Provorov.  

Also, this statement right here is incredibly douchechilling...

As for Dave Hakstol, in my conversations with him after games and at practices, it’s obvious that he knows his hockey and has even let it slip on occasion that he looks at team-level shot metrics at the very least.

Oh, it's obvious he knows his hockey through your conversations with him?  You've only been able to conclude that based on your discussions with him?  The fact that he's coaching at the most elite level isn't proof of that?  Glad Hakstol measured up to the exacting standards of this blogger.  I was doubtful about Hakstol's knowledge until Charlie set us straight.

Also, I commend Charlie for his cunning ability to get Hakstol to "let slip" the closely guarded secret of what metrics he looks at.

I also love how the article states how terrible MacDonald was because that's what these metrics over here say, and then theorizes that the Flyers are playing him because these other metrics over there are so good (only to say those metrics were false numbers).

As Mark Twain would say, there are "lies, damned lies, and statistics."

The article also neatly ignores that the primary reason he was sent down was the salary cap and the desire to not lose other players who would have had to clear waivers...

18 hours ago, vis said:

Am I saying MacDonald is a great defender?  Not in the least.  But, even as the article suggests, he is a third pairing d-man in the NHL.  And on this team he rates higher because the defense otherwise stinks.  That's why he gets the time that he does.

MacDud doesn't pass the eye test. Every time he steps on the ice he back peddles for the opponent into the defensive zone giving them control of the play, EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. He skews the potential of anyone he gets paired with. The biggest reason he played so many games last season was so he could be exposed for the expansion draft(even though Vegas won't take him). He actually fills a slot for someone else who the Flyers are able to protect. Yes I am biased and hate MacDud with a passion. The biggest problem is he has earned it......

The metrics were a tad overwhelming, that said, his statistical damage to teammates on ice with him is telling.  So is his inability to control the neutral zone.  All in...a frightening reminder of what it means to sign people for more than five years.  His impact is prolonged.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, flyerrod said:

MacDud doesn't pass the eye test. Every time he steps on the ice he back peddles for the opponent into the defensive zone giving them control of the play,

Exactly.  There is very little gap control in the neutral zone and then dzone until their player either drives the net and closes the gap for him or they shot and he hopes to block a shot.  He is a decent skater but gives up the blue line way, way to easily.   

4 hours ago, off_the_post said:

Exactly.  There is very little gap control in the neutral zone and then dzone until their player either drives the net and closes the gap for him or they shot and he hopes to block a shot.  He is a decent skater but gives up the blue line way, way to easily.   

This.

4 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Hextall and Hak can try all they want to believe McDud is worthy of the minutes but as the ol' saying goes.... "you can't polish a turd."

Yes you can...but nobody wants a shiny turd either........

Dollars aside, his greatest cost is blocking future development. We may be on the verge of having on of the best defensive corps in the league....he laughs his way to the bank while gumming up the works.

What's scary to contemplate is whether age diminishes his shot-blocking?  Yikes...then we are in a real bind.  Overall, I suppose we have to believe/hope he becomes an incredibly overpaid 6/7 D-man as a new cadre emerges.  That is little consolation but what else might happen...putting him in the minors only saves $925....I doubt anybody takes him, even with salary contribution....and a buyout probably doesn't make sense for another year or two. This is the gift that keeps taking....just be glad it wasn't eight years......

6 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

Didn't think I'd ever see the words GREAT and MacDonald paired together :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Why not?

He is a great BIG 'ol piece of schitt!

See easy peasy!

On 5/27/2017 at 9:27 AM, flyerrod said:

MacDud doesn't pass the eye test. Every time he steps on the ice he back peddles for the opponent into the defensive zone giving them control of the play, EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. He skews the potential of anyone he gets paired with. The biggest reason he played so many games last season was so he could be exposed for the expansion draft(even though Vegas won't take him). He actually fills a slot for someone else who the Flyers are able to protect. Yes I am biased and hate MacDud with a passion. The biggest problem is he has earned it......

Him rolling out the red carpet into the d-zone for forwards is maddening.  

Who do you think would have been a better option with Provorov?

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Why not?

He is a great BIG 'ol piece of schitt!

See easy peasy!

LOL, you got me there, let ME try. 

It would be GREAT to get MacDonald and his schitty contract off of the Flyers. Hey, it worked. ?

I know he is a NHL caliber 7th/8th defenseman, and I know his cap doesn't hurt the flyers this year.  And I know some people don't want to have 3 young defenseman make the team this year in addition to Provorov and Ghost.  However I would still put him in the minors this year or try to deal him.  His contract screams of how we "used" to do business and we need a culture change.  This team was good... very good at home and sucked on the road.  There is only 2 things that can cause this.  First the home team gets to make match-ups and I think this really does effect the team.  But some or a lot has to been mindset of the players, and we have to break up that mindset.  First step is get rid of players that earn way too much for their role like MacDonald and Read.  Second is to get rid of guys that are one dimensional if there are possible replacements in the minors like Raffl, Weise, VDV, Bellemare, again Read and MacDonald.

I know Hextall wants these kids to earn their spot, but if there is no spot for them to earn how can they?  I am ok, and I think Hextall needs to be okay with giving some young players a shot knowing your not getting better next year but likely 2-3 years from now.  Let our defense be Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Ghost, Provorov, and either Manning or Gudas.  Let #2, Lindblom, Vecchione, and Weal get a shot.  And lets make room for Stolarz or Lyons.

On 5/29/2017 at 6:24 PM, Cheesesteak said:

Didn't think I'd ever see the words GREAT and MacDonald paired together :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

unless you're talking about the new Pico-Guacamole 1/4 pounder... that thing is delicious ! don't tell my wife.

Archived