Game 3 Flyers at Ducks 10/07/17 10:00 pm

OccamsRazor

Wow. Helluva OT by Coots and Simmonds. Great little play by Simmonds to move the pick forward there. 

And seriously sweet play by Coots there making everyone think he was going the other way and then throwing it back to Simmonds. Elite play there by #14. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carlyle is very candid in the post-game. He acknowledged the team speed of the Flyers and the mistake in overtime. He also said the Ducks were chasing the game--the Flyers had better speed.  I like hearing that from the coach of last year's division winner.

Hey i'm glad they won.

But they were missing a lot of good players.

It is what it is.

Flyers have a lot of young players.

They need Ws. No matter how they come.

The goal get better every day.

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey i'm glad they won.

But they were missing a lot of good players.

They were missing Getz, but them not dressing Ritchie isn't that key.

This was a successful west coast road trip. Who in their right mind thought the Flyers would come out of 3 Cali games with 4 points a few weeks ago? Most thought they would have lost all, or possibly pull one out in LA, but nobody expected us to beat SJ and ANA. We were the faster team on the ice for once, and if the Flyers didn't play the back to back with SJ/LA, they most likely could have pushed a better game in LA.

Cooter may get an All-Star appearance if he keeps playing this way. He is skating better than ever, and he has always been great at positioning and high awareness.

"IF" the Flyers can keep these legs under themselves all season long, Playoffs are definitely not out of the question.

Flyers vs Edmonton SCF, Cooter shuts down McGod for entire series, we win!(dreaming again)

I'm excited AF!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Off the Pipe said:

NVM, I see they were missing Kessler and a few others. I was listening on radio on west coast, so didn't hear all the players.

Doesn't matter...coming out of that west coast trip 2-1 is a good thing. 

They could have folded after the Ducks tied it at 2. They'd lost 8 in a row to this team. And it was their 3rd game in 4 nights...3 time zones away. 

The Ducks were likely missing Getzlaf the most. And not having Vatanen and Lindholm didn't help either. But Philly was icing 7 guys who've really only played a season or less in the NHL.

They've also been dominating the 3rd period...and scoring at even strength. Konecny and Patrick look good together. A finisher would make them look awesome (or a less spectacular outing by the opposing goalie). Hagg looks like a vet. Couturier doesn't look out of place centering the first line. Provorov might well be our best defenceman who played at least 2 full seasons since Mark Howe (no offence intended Monsieur Desjardins). Sanheim made some forward progress. Laughton has been reborn.

And Simmonds is Cannon!

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

They've also been dominating the 3rd period...and scoring at even strength. Konecny and Patrick look good together. A finisher would make them look awesome (or a less spectacular outing by the opposing goalie). Hagg looks like a vet. Couturier doesn't look out of place centering the first line. Provorov might well be our best defenceman who played at least 2 full seasons since Mark Howe (no offence intended Monsieur Desjardins). Sanheim made some forward progress. Laughton has been reborn.

I had to listen to the game on Sirius XM, I work graveyards at Children's Hospital, but have it DVR for when I get home soon. So I wasn't sure who was playing or not for ANA.

I agree, I think when the team gets home and if Weise isn't gelling with Patrick and TK, he may try Oscar at home, I would not want them to split Leier, Laughts or Raffle, they have great chemistry together. Weise is the only one having no chemistry with his linemates imo.

Prov'ALONE(when he's with MacD) is the best we've had in some time. He has brought a steadiness to the team when he is on the ice, something missing since Prongs injury. This is why I am upset they gave the "A" to MacD instead of Provy. Yeah he's only in his second season, but have you listened to any of his press coverage, he speaks like a vet.

He could be a Norris candidate in the future. Lets just pray he doesn't suffer any fluke injuries like Prongs did, that would really suck.

I like Patrick with TK. Now if only they can find someone instead of Weise. That might be a natural spot for Lindblom eventually, but I don’t think that will happen for a while unless we have a string of injuries.

I only have one negative thing to say - Voracek is a play killer. Great assist on the Coots goal, but overall, he kills so many plays with really poor, low-percentage decisions. Not sure what’s going on with him. Maybe if he shaved his ridiculous beard, he’d shed a few pounds and wouldn’t be dragging around four days’ worth of crumbs. That’s all I got!

What if he and Simmer were swapped? So G/Coots/Simmer and Weal/Fil/Voracek.

In any case, this is a fun team to watch!

Our fourth line. Wow.

Those guys play fast and with skill, they are/will be a matchup problem for the league this year.  

Hagg will improve I think he needs to be challenged, and there are no shortages of challenges in the NHL. I felt like I saw him pick up his play after the keystone-cops-monkey-******-a-football turnover on the Vermette goal.

I don't mind the first line of 28 14 and 93 .  It's not like Couturier is the weak link there. I wish I knew what was going on with 93, he really seems to be fighting all aspects of his game.  

I thought the ice in Anaheim was awful, lots of guys losing edges just turning.

I watched most of 2 periods, If this is how our team is going to play this year we should be at the very least be entertained.

I'm pleased with 4 points on the road trip.

@brelic  I  think Dale Weisse is a play killer too. Voracek has company.

22's game since he's been on our team has been soft, slow and stupid.

I understand the rationale behind signing a big guy with some sandpaper and an occasional nose for the net. But all I see is a big guy making the soft chip turn over, when he's not arriving late on the odd man rush for  I won't miss him a bit when he is replaced.

Only watched the first 2 periods.  Pleasantly surprised.  The first 10 minutes of game was extremely wide open hockey and entertaining.  I am amazed at how much faster this team.  Much more team speed than in previous years.  Patrick has quick hands.  I still don't know how Gibson made a save on that one shot he attempted.  His vision of the ice is incredible as evidenced by that sweet saucer pass to Provorov for the Flyers first goal.  Speaking of which...what a laser shot that was.  Ghost had a bad turnover which indirectly led to the Ducks first goal, but overall he looked much better than last year.

My only disappointment is that Morin sat again .....

Game thoughts:

• Provo is so smart. More Provo please.
  • Gibson is way more fun to watch than I realized. He's got a good dosage of Quick in him with all those acrobatic saves. I'm not sure that works every game, but it worked for this game.
  • Voracek is becoming a major problem. His passes are awful. His giveaways are awful. He's bombing on the pp. Starting to hurt...
  • Those Ducks injuries were clearly a huge factor. Getzlaf is a mammoth presence, and Kesler is the most skilled pest in the league. Two big losses right there.
  • Couts, Laughton, and Weal were all impressive. Giroux was as well. He definitely looks faster and more involved so far this year. Maybe the shift to wing was for the best. Time will tell.
  • Elliott was alright. He's not going to steal us any games with that level of play though. Not that I expect him to. I'm sticking with my thoughts that he's a very slight upgrade over Mason at best, and pretty much the same thing at worst. :/

I'm not busting his balls this soon but i have to say it since no one else has Elliot has to make that save on that shorty...has too...he had clear view of it and his team needed to be bailed out on that terrible turnover...sure it is a helluva shot i give you that.

But those are the saves great goalies make....those are the save that Mase let in and ran him out of town.

I know it is only his second game in O n B but i want to see him make that next time.

And if i'm being unfair or to hard on the goalie so be it. That is my opinion.

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

A finisher would make them look awesome (or a less spectacular outing by the opposing goalie).

How about a sniper LW for them...just an idea...

Martel-Patrick-TK

Sounds like a fast dangerous line. Flyers could add more speed.

He has 146 AHL games under his belt it would be worth a look i think...just kicking the can down the road...

:cheers:

Hey yeah still early but 3 games into the season and yet to play at home and Flyers sit tied for 1st place in the East.

It is a great start to build on.

I must say i have been really impressed with Hagg's subtle yet veteran like presence on a defensive pair with Ghost.

He has kept it simple and been very physical playing against the opposing forward and doing a good job separating them from the puck or defusing any offensive forays in his end when he has been out there.

He reminds me of a smaller (although 6-2 isn't small) more mobile version of his country man who wore the same number when he was in Philly GrossmanN.

Most of what he does is unspectacular but he has given Ghost a steady guy to play off of and has been very good in his own end and allowed Ghost to play his offensive game.

However when he has had the puck on his stick he has made a quick pass back up ice to get it to the forwards.

Ivan, Gudas and Hagg give the Flyers 3 solid stay at home yet still mobile options who will get physical when need be back on the blueline.

As the season wears on it will give them the chance they need to shut these other teams offensive threats down.

Keep it going guys!

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He has kept it simple and been very physical playing against the opposing forward and doing a good job separating them from the puck or defusing any offensive forays in his end when he has been out there.

He reminds me of a smaller (although 6-2 isn't small) more mobile version of his country man who wore the same number when he was in Philly GrossmanN.

Grossmann ? really, that's interesting.  

I haven't thought about a comparison for Hagg.

I think his ceiling is way higher than a  Grossmann type player based on my limited viewing of him.

Also, that shot from Fowler was a damned rocket, your take is pretty harsh, that shot beats 95 % of NHL goaltenders. :cheers:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Martel-Patrick-TK

He has 146 AHL games under his belt it would be worth a look i think...just kicking the can down the road...

I would love to see Danick up here for a few games, I have always liked him, this team has been the fastest team we have had in a long while and the addition of even more speed would not hurt.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Martel-Patrick-TK

Sure, why not.

I think this is our last "rebuild" year...meaning most of us are good with whatever it takes to be better down the road. I figure we barely make, or barely miss the playoffs, all depending what we get from our netminders. It's a good time to check and see what's in the cupboard beyond the usual suspects. 

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Grossmann ? really, that's interesting. 

Yeah he was pretty good positionally and very physical....he just couldn't move...otherwise he would of had a better career.

And also i'm not projecting where his career may go just noticing some of his traits...it's all kid looks very sound i think so far.

They are faster and better than last year, which doesn't really mean anything, because the same can be said for several other teams. They will still struggle to score goals at times, but I like what I've seen over the first 3 games. I don't really like Couturier on the first line, but we'll see how it goes. I'm enjoying seeing rookies like Leier, Morin and Patrick all getting playing time on the NHL level and letting them develop, instead of wasting roster spots on veterans who we know can't play well consistently.

Thank the hockey gods  that West Coast trip is over.  Whatever ass hole  at league headquarters decided that an Eastern conference team  should open up the season on a three-gam West Coast road trip deserves to get punched and throat. I watched the ffirst period, but that was it.

Just as a side note, I wanted to say that I DVR'd this one on Center Ice's free preview and happened to record the Ducks feed.

I have to say I travel a bit and have to watch a lot of Flyers games with opposing announcers and the Ducks guys were by far the most chill and even handed and fair I can remember ever hearing.  John Ahlers and Brian Hayward were by far the most even handed and clear minded home ice voices I've heard as a Flyers fan.

When the crowd would flip out about a penalty, they would just comment that the crowd needed to realize it actually was a penalty and move on.  When the refs would miss something a Flyer did They'd notice it and do the auditory version of a shrug and move on.  It might be just because they've had such bad injury luck and they've kinda thrown their hands up, but I found it very refreshing.  

Archived