Question of the Day

ruxpin

23 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

They would have beaten no one other than the sabres tonight and barely did that. 

Tonight was not good hockey. In fact, it was crap. I know good teams find a way to win even when they're not playing well. Playing a crap team doesn't hurt, either. 

5 IN A ROW!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

5 IN A ROW!!!

I mean hooray.  Like I said, sometimes good teams find a way to win even when they played poorly.   It remains to be seen whether they're a good team, but they did find a way to win despite playing poorly. 

I don't know if I'd try that against a better team than Buffalo (which includes ALL of them). 

Really. Not because they lost to the flyers, but Buffalo is flat out horrible. You wouldn't think they'd be THAT bad looking at their roster, but man, you can smell them from here. 

49 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

They're playing very good, intelligent and inspired hockey these days. Before I dare say they're a "playoff team" again, I want to see how they play against the LA Kings.

Yeah. 

And you're right. They were playing decent hockey. Which is promising. 

They weren't tonight, though. Maybe they were sinking to the level of their opponent. That happens. I don't know. It just wasn't good. 

But, they somehow managed to get the win, so on to #6! 

26 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I mean hooray.  Like I said, sometimes good teams find a way to win even when they played poorly.   It remains to be seen whether they're a good team, but they did find a way to win despite playing poorly. 

I don't know if I'd try that against a better team than Buffalo (which includes ALL of them). 

Really. Not because they lost to the flyers, but Buffalo is flat out horrible. You wouldn't think they'd be THAT bad looking at their roster, but man, you can smell them from here. 

C'mon man they are only 8 points from the #1 seed in the East with a game in hand!!!!

:horn:

It's parade time!!!!

Only one other team in the whole NHL has won 5 in a row!!! Tampa!!!

Let ya hair down and celebrate.

They could all go back to sucking again tomorrow!!!

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

C'mon man the are only 8 points from the #1 seed in the East with a game in hand!!!!

:horn:

It's parade time!!!!

Only one other team in the whole NHL has won 5 in a row!!! Tampa!!!

Let ya hair down and celebrate.

They could all go back to sucking again tomorrow!!!

Yeah they could. The bipolar Flyers and there will probably more of this great week, bad week, great again stuff with all of their youth.

9 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Yeah they could. The bipolar Flyers and there will probably more of this great week, bad week, great again stuff with all of their youth.

Yeah, I think you're spot on with the youth diagnosis.   They're going to feed off a high and dwell on the low.   They'll learn to moderate both as they grow and gain experience.

Just as the win streak last year was an aberration, the losing streak this year was too.

The Flyers did not play poorly but for 2 games during the recent losing streak.

They had some stupid **** happen to them, did some stupid **** to themselves and **** the bed two nights. By and large, though, they could have won 4 of those games in regulation.  The quality of play for the Flyers was there, the luck wasn't.

Last night's condensed game had a lot of Sabres highlights, so generally, I take that to mean they drove the play and had the better chances throughout, though that may not be an accurate interpretation  (it is how I would edit a game though). 

It looks like Dale Weise is playing well recently. Anyone have a take on that ?  He seems to finally be playing as envisioned, going to the tough areas and having enough skill to make something happen when he's in there. It's not too much to ask of him to be a Matt Cullen type guy... 

Nice to see Sanheim get on the scoresheet.  I wonder if that does anything for his confidence ?  Meltzer tweeted that 6 thought he played the worst period of his NHL career despite scoring ,  the young man seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

@mojo1917

Good take on things.

Two other things seem to have changed in December, which includes the 3-0 loss to Boston and then the 5-game winning streak.

1) They have a third worst in the league penalty kill of 76.7 percent for the season.  Just absurdly bad.   But in December,  they are 6th best at a 90% kill clip.   That sounds exciting, and is but that brings up the next point:

2)  They're suddenly not taking penalties.   And not taking penalties at all reduces the chance of taking them at stupid times, and it also reduces the hazard of a poor penalty kill.   In the 6 games in December, they have a total of 10 shorthanded situations  That's nuts.  It's the lowest in the league for December.   

So, if they're fairly good at 5v5 (and they have been), and you not only reduce your penalties but improve your kill percentage, and even if you're middle of the road on the PP (in December, they're 12th in the league at PP% but have the 7th most PP opportunities), that should lead to good things.

If Hakstol can keep them disciplined in that sense, you won't necessarily have these long winning streaks but you should win far more than you lose.

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Next three are important.  

Again, the thing I'll keep going back to is that when the Flyers don't play horribly, they can skate with the best in the league and they've shown a lot so far this season.   Right now winning or losing is far more psychological for them than skill level.  

24 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Next three are important.  

Again, the thing I'll keep going back to is that when the Flyers don't play horribly, they can skate with the best in the league and they've shown a lot so far this season.   Right now winning or losing is far more psychological for them than skill level.  

Wise post.  Completely agree.

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

If Hakstol can keep them disciplined in that sense,

And the players are like your kids you you need to coach them up and home teach them when you can, make sure they do their homework but at the end of the day they must leave your arms, go to school and display all that they have learned at school out of your reach, it's on them to fall back on what they have learned....we can't do it for them...but we can give them the foundation to fall back on.

It looks like they are making progress.

And it all starts too from getting some better goaltending i think.

You guys kill me!....:)

Flyers Fans are just like the team they follow! UP AND DOWN....Fire Him, No Extend Him....oh wait....bad game, RUN HIM OUT OF TOWN!

Elliot is doing exactly what I hoped he would do. Play "decent" goal and give the flyers a chance to win.....he was done that in my opinion.

We all have to remember something. This is Philly.....Goalies and Philly. ya know... :hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon:

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Flyers Fans are just like the team they follow! UP AND DOWN....Fire Him, No Extend Him....oh wait....bad game, RUN HIM OUT OF TOWN!

LOL  Most of this thread is tongue in cheek, for exactly the reasons you state.    While I'm poking fun at it, I'm not immune to it.

Elliot is doing exactly what I hoped he would do. Play "decent" goal and give the flyers a chance to win.....he was done that in my opinion.

Completely agree.   We weren't getting Bobrovsky or Price or someone (if we were, we'd have traded him for nothing by now).  We were just getting a serviceable bridge guy until one of the kids are ready.   He's done decently in that role.   He's had some hiccups,  but I don't remember too many games that he actually directly lost.  A couple maybe.

His save percentage is only slightly behind Martin Jones and Tukka Rask (not a selling point.  He's only recently been decent but started out horrible) and better than the likes of Jake Allen and Ben Bishop.   With the exception of Jones, I'm not really a fan of any of them. But   Rask is making $7.5M, Bishop $7M and Allen $3.85M.     The Flyers are getting mediocre for the Kmart price of $2.5M.  (Jones is a steal this year at $3M, but his new contract starts next year and his salary jumps to $6.75M).

The only point to all this is that Elliot's doing probably what should have been expected and in line with what they're paying him to do...fill space and do as little damage as possible until...

This is Philly.....Goalies and Philly. ya know... :hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon:

The gif/emoji/whatever made me smile.

9 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

We all have to remember something. This is Philly.....Goalies and Philly. ya know... :hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon:

Yes this is done mostly in fun.

However i think they should change PK coaches....find Lappy another job in the organization if you want but the showed Mullen the door last year Lappy should be next. Don't wait till the offseason. It has underwhelmed since he took over.

Will Lappy be fired this summer? PK has progressively gotten worse since he took over 

Is he the one that actually tells the defenseman to continually ignore the forward that sets up camp right in front of our goalie? You never let a guy between you and your goalie 

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

That's a pretty solid no. Contenders don't generally fire the coaches responsible for making them contenders.

contenders? we could be contenders if we had a top-15 PK

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

That's a pretty solid no. Contenders don't generally fire the coaches responsible for making them contenders.

I'm pretty sure you misread it exactly the same way as I did.   I understood it to be "Lavy" and "PK" was Subban.

LOL  He said Lappy and "PK" was penalty kill.

And yes, I would fire Lappy.  I would not fire Lavy.

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm pretty sure you misread it exactly the same way as I did.   I understood it to be "Lavy" and "PK" was Subban.

LOL  He said Lappy and "PK" was penalty kill.

And yes, I would fire Lappy.  I would not fire Lavy.

You’re 100% right. My bad. :)

Archived