Game 44: Flyers at Rangers, 1/16/18 @ 7

Howie58

Greetings:

The Rangers are listed as favorites (by a smidgen) .

http://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-new-york-odds-january-16-2018-868179

The Rangers have lost their last two by 7-2 and 5-2 margins; they may be an angry opponent.

Lifetime, the Rags have been a tough match, particularly in New York:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?New_York_Rangers

Let's go Flyers!

Elliott to start again. Going run this guy.

I guess Hak's is play him till he breaks.

Sanheim a scratch again. SMFH at his handling.

Speaking of scratches. I think they should sit Patrick for his uninspired played and stick infractions.

It carries no weight to hold Ghost, Konecny Leier and guys like Laughton accountable and then not hold the #2 overall pick to the same set of rules.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Elliott to start again. Going run this guy.

I guess Hak's is play him till he breaks.

Sanheim a scratch again. SMFH at his handling.

Speaking of scratches. I think they should sit Patrick for his uninspired played and stick infractions.

It carries no weight to hold Ghost, Konecny Leier and guys like Laughton accountable and then not hold the #2 overall pick to the same set of rules.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is with Hakstol, but that seems to be his MO with goaltenders. It would have been nice to give Lyon a start when he was here, if for nothing else than to give Elliott a break. That's what backup goaltenders are for, and by not playing him, we don't really know what we have. Lyon looked good in preseason, so throw him a bone.

With Sanehim, I'm thinking they should decide soon what to do. Sitting a handful of games is fine and won't hurt him. If the intention is to give Manning a bulk of the starts, then send Sanheim back and recall someone like Alt. I would say the same for Leier. If Lehtera and Goulbourne become mainstays, send Leier back to contribute meaningful minutes in LHV - though I understand it's still early days with Goulbourne, and they simply don't know what they have yet. He's played around 5-6 minutes a game, which feels like a wasted roster spot. 

I would normally agree on Patrick, but I guess the issue is that they have no one to replace him. I'm guessing Weal would slide to center, and Weise would come back in. Not sure that's better. The only other option is to recall, say, Vecchione and slot him as 4th C and move Laughton to 3C. But that causes disruption on two lines. 

With Patrick, I feel like he was gifted a spot rather than earned one based on pre-season play. Consideration for injuries, missed games, and not being in top game shape probably factored in to giving him the benefit of the doubt. I have no doubt that he will become a solid player in 2-3 years, so I'm guessing they're letting him work through the rookie struggles.

Unfortunately, we have a weak middle six because of that - neither Patrick nor Filppula inspire much confidence these days.

11 minutes ago, colorado_al said:

No timeouts... no change in goal.... way to go coach. ... nice job.  Guess we're playing for draft choices.

Now I am Hak'd off. How much longer do we have to suffer through his "coaching"?

And now we can't depend on Snider tossing this coaching staff out on their ears.   Just a _little_ emotion coach... that's all I ask.   You can't even show embarrassment.  The fans are suffering and you do nothing.

23 minutes ago, colorado_al said:

No timeouts... no change in goal.... way to go coach. ... nice job.  Guess we're playing for draft choices.

I posted this the other day, I don’t think Hakstol has called a tImeout since he has been Head Coach. **** is hitting the fan and he just stands there like a cardboard cutout from Spencer’s Gifts......

>> Voracek is absolutely brutal tonight.

If we had a coach with some balls,  Voracek would be warming the bench.  You have keep players accountable for screwups.   I can't believe how bad Voracek is at times.  Most likely because he's never called out for his bad play.

12 minutes ago, brelic said:

Bunch of defensive breakdowns for the Flyers. Breakaways galore. 

Its just one one of those nights. The Rangers really exploited our defense effectively. 

Oh well. Forget it and move on. 

Has Elliott moved yet?

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow Elliott is hot garbage tonight as well.

One of these team coming tonight has won 4 straight.

The other one has lost 3 straight.

Which one is which?

It's Flyers-Rangers at MSG...when has that ever mattered?

Archived